Incoming Macan...

Withy

Congratulations @Withy, that's a lovely car!

Our 2015 F31 is still serving us well, it goes very well and we love it, don't usually keep cars over 5 years - sometime in the next couple of years it will go though and we have been wondering what next - SUV's tend to make my wife car sick so we haven't had one for over 10 years.  A Macan on PASM or air suspension might be OK - but an expensive mistake if it doesn't so I don't think she will agree to getting one!

Hopefully see you again before too long on one of our trips to Scotland.  Enjoy your car - don't forget to put some photos on here and tell us all about it!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 6:36 PM, Greenman said:

I’ve got this one as a hire car today.

Neither me or the Mrs like the colour (crayon).

Base Macan but fully loaded (extended leather, PASM, PSE, Chrono, loads of driver assist options etc.

is the base a 2 litre?

how does it drive?

enough performance?

real world mpg?

though looking it makes no sense to save a couple of mpg and £2300 not to go at least 's'

swjuhqV.jpg

Edited by Stuart21UK

10 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

is the base a 2 litre?

how does it drive?

enough performance?

real world mpg?

though looking it makes no sense to save a couple of mpg and £2300 not to go at least 's'

swjuhqV.jpg

Funnily enough, as I was driving yesterday I was thinking to myself, wow this goes well for a 2 litre in a big car.  I had a base Macan as a hire last year and didn’t remember it being quite so brisk.  Anyway, turns out it was an ‘S’  I had yesterday. I was (understandably) confused by a complete lack of any badging, it had been de-badged and even the sill kick plates just said Macan.

I agree with you, for the cost up shift the S seems like a no brainier, unless there are tax implications I’m not aware of.  As for MPG,  I averaged 26 in the 70 miles I did, which was a drive in and out of Stockport town centre, 20 miles on a motorway, and a bit of a spirited play back on country roads, you could comfortably get it down to 20 with a heavy right foot.   I don’t think it seemed appreciably worse mpg wise than the Base model I had last year which I averaged a similar figure on around the same mileage but in and out of Sheffield.  Longer term owners should be able to give more accurate feedback though.

@Withy..Thought I'd let you know, my OPC has been in touch and my car is now being built on 23 October, and should be available to pick up 12-15 November which is before the previous date given for building the car! Apparently they are keen to get UK cars built and shipped! 

16 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

@Withy..Thought I'd let you know, my OPC has been in touch and my car is now being built on 23 October, and should be available to pick up 12-15 November which is before the previous date given for building the car! Apparently they are keen to get UK cars built and shipped! 

isn't the macan going full EV next time round? 

3 hours ago, D8EAN said:

isn't the macan going full EV next time round? 

Apparently, as well as an EV version of the Macan in 22 or 23 there will also be new petrol and maybe hybrid Macans too,like the Panamera and Taycan. 

10 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Good to know. that's a good turnaround for your car.  :)

On 9/19/2020 at 2:23 PM, Withy said:

Locked and loaded!

Macan GTS
Night Blue Metallic
20” Turbo Alloys
Black Leather package (not alcantara, and Mojave didn’t do it for us after looking at a Cayenne at OPC Glasgow)
Pano Roof
Sport Chrono
75lt tank
drivers memory pack
heatable windscreen
heated steering wheel (front seat heating is std)
Privacy Glass
park assist with reversing camera

Whoop!

very similar to my GTS - you'll love it I promise! 

winter wheel set not a bad idea - easy to add later on if you plan to use it all year - mine went on last week.

75ltr tank definitely required

I have 21 inch summer wheels on mine which feel really firm on the road (good!) and having just added winter 19's I can feel it roll and squish a *lot* more than those. 20's should be fine though.

memory seats i don't really care about much but have them

pano roof great

black leather a very practical choice - alcantara seats I hate and don't have.

didn't get mine new so didn't spec a heated windscreen, but would have that if I'd bought new.

sport chrono helps come sale time but to date I've not used it on mine - it's plenty good without using that - sport mode is fine for B roads without the sport plus.

privacy glass on mine too - always thought it was a bit 'gangster' but most cars seem to have it these days and helps the back seat passengers (dogs 🙂 in strong sun.

lets see some pics when you get it - really easy car to live with, practical and great to drive - you'll love it

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 9:14 AM, Greenman said:

Funnily enough, as I was driving yesterday I was thinking to myself, wow this goes well for a 2 litre in a big car.  I had a base Macan as a hire last year and didn’t remember it being quite so brisk.  Anyway, turns out it was an ‘S’  I had yesterday. I was (understandably) confused by a complete lack of any badging, it had been de-badged and even the sill kick plates just said Macan.

I agree with you, for the cost up shift the S seems like a no brainier, unless there are tax implications I’m not aware of.  As for MPG,  I averaged 26 in the 70 miles I did, which was a drive in and out of Stockport town centre, 20 miles on a motorway, and a bit of a spirited play back on country roads, you could comfortably get it down to 20 with a heavy right foot.   I don’t think it seemed appreciably worse mpg wise than the Base model I had last year which I averaged a similar figure on around the same mileage but in and out of Sheffield.  Longer term owners should be able to give more accurate feedback though.

was talking to the OPC about the 2 litre mid last year and was steered off it - under powered - but there to serve a particular market need. If you want to drive it then the S is really the entry point. That said they do sell plenty of the 2 litres - presume as school busses and mums taxis - for which it would be ideal. But if you want a decent drive then the S is where you want to look.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Picked it up about 5 hours ago.. in the rain unfortunately, so photo's are cr@p.  Took the car for a wee run of about 80 miles, and it is actually amazing - feels nimble and rapid.  Sounds great, and when in Normal mode it's a supreme cruiser. In car tech is a huge step up from 981..  Very happy with colour choice.. I think Night Blue is a bit rare and looks great with these wheels.  I've ordered some of that Graphene wax for it (hope the rain disappears to let me use it) More to come on this for sure.

Macan50706756218_1ffdf8ac02_b.jpg

• Like 2

Nice car @Withy

I got mine 4 weeks ago and love it, it’s definitely a step up from the gen1 GTS 

One of the many things different on this car is the way the oil pressure is regulated. I thought there was a problem but it’s normal! The pressure settles around 1.5 bar and only goes above that when the engine is loaded. Thought I’d let you know in case, like me, you think there is something wrong!

Anyway, enjoy your car! 

• Like 1

Enjoy :) 

No washer jets on the headlamps?  I think I'm out of date here... is it that you have decent lights, but no longer xenon, they are LED so somehow are excellent for driving yet to bright enough to need washer jets?

I'm still not quite sure how that works exactly.

I have been running a Gen1 2018 Macan S for 10 months now, and can honestly say it is the best daily car I have ever owned, it is supremely comfortable, handles incredibly well for nearly 2 tons, goes like stink, but it does have a thirst! If I want economy I go out in the 986! @Menoporschemine has headlamp washers with the LED headlamps, but they are the top ones that alter the beam pattern etc when you come to junctions/corners etc.

• Like 1

Given Porsche's reputation for rubbish normal headlights on this board, I'm just curious that someone would spec up a car for such a price as a daily driver and not go for decent headlamps. But maybe they're fine and I'm out of date with tech.

I do remember a discussion a couple of years ago explaining why LEDs didn't need washers.  Could be because they are LED not xenon so the light doesn't distort so much through dirty lenses...

Sorry Withy, it's your thread :) 

@Menoporsche on the light thing.. it was dark later last night when driving and all I noticed was that the LED's in the Macan are extremely bright - a massive step up from the std low power non washer jet Xenon's in my 981 (no great shakes there then!).  PDLS is standard on a GTS and there is no sign of washers, and the only option on the configurator is a more black insert version as far as I see, with no washers.  
I do like the presence of headlight washers for some reason - had them on 987.1S - looks like modern LED's just don't need them

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toddie said:

I have been running a Gen1 2018 Macan S for 10 months now, and can honestly say it is the best daily car I have ever owned, it is supremely comfortable, handles incredibly well for nearly 2 tons, goes like stink, but it does have a thirst! If I want economy I go out in the 986! @Menoporschemine has headlamp washers with the LED headlamps, but they are the top ones that alter the beam pattern etc when you come to junctions/corners etc.

What mpg are you averaging?

8 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Nice car @Withy

I got mine 4 weeks ago and love it, it’s definitely a step up from the gen1 GTS 

One of the many things different on this car is the way the oil pressure is regulated. I thought there was a problem but it’s normal! The pressure settles around 1.5 bar and only goes above that when the engine is loaded. Thought I’d let you know in case, like me, you think there is something wrong!

Anyway, enjoy your car! 

what model John?

@Stuart21UK Have done just over 3000 miles since I picked car up & the PCM tells me I have averaged 23.6 mpg, but I do mostly 5-6 mile commute with odd decent journey. On a 60 mile round trip this week I got 27mpg, on a decent motorway run i can get 32mpg. 

• Thanks 1