Wheel offsets?

SuperPaulie

At the risk of getting shot down in flames, how do I find the offset of my wheels? I want to space them out but don't want to run into any problems with clearance or scrubbing. All I know is I have 18" turbo twists, are the details stamped on the inside rim?

KXjfRthm.jpg

Forgive my ignorance on this, the only work I've ever done wheel wise is replace the rubber for what was already there.

If you look in the wheel and tyre sizes in the Driver Manual, as long as they are original Boxster 18" rims, the details are given there.

Also @Patt is pretty knowledgeable on wheel spacers?

Hi

I find I can notice even a small offset difference. More than a very small amount just looks totally wrong and cartoonish to my eyes. Standard is best for me! 5mm might be ok I would say.

Best of luck

Berni

2 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

5mm just isnt worth doing in my opinion, pushing out the wheels to the size of a ant just isnt worth the money invested, id like to be able to see it fill the arch rather than hiding under it!

I dealt with this by getting different offset from standard when I went for 17 to 18 rims.  Even 5 to 7mm adds a surprising amount visually from what I've seen on other cars, just pushing them out makes it look more purposeful.  My 17 and 18 pictures:

LRh2OIa.jpg 

oKFBKyl.jpg 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I dealt with this by getting different offset from standard when I went for 17 to 18 rims.  Even 5 to 7mm adds a surprising amount visually from what I've seen on other cars, just pushing them out makes it look more purposeful.  My 17 and 18 pictures:

oKFBKyl.jpg 

Are those 'lobster claw' 18" wheels?  I really like this, so just wondered where you got them from?

2 minutes ago, stupidget said:

Are those 'lobster claw' 18" wheels?  I really like this, so just wondered where you got them from?

No, GT3 look a likes, not originals!  I bought them 2nd hand from another BoXa.net user, no idea of the original source, @Patt can you help?

6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

No, GT3 look a likes, not originals!  I bought them 2nd hand from another BoXa.net user, no idea of the original source, @Patt can you help?

They look great, what tyre size did you go for? Have you found any centre caps for them, they look smaller than standard wheels?

2 hours ago, GmanB said:

They look great, what tyre size did you go for? Have you found any centre caps for them, they look smaller than standard wheels?

They are wider than standard 986 18" rims but I went with standard 986 18" tyre sizes 225/40 and 265/35 but they are about the minimum width for the rims so might go to 235/40 front and 275/35 rear next time.  Even with rim protector tyres (Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2) you have to be careful lying the rim down on a hard surface.

Regarding the centres, my old OE ones went in but wouldn't click home and are horribly faded, so whether there's some extra paint build up from the refurb or not I'm not sure.  The RS centres they came with (see below) fit comfortably and are flush.  I've actually got some non OE crested centres enroute at the moment to swap out the RS ones next time I have the wheels off.

WfBqOQ7.jpg 

If your rims are original twists - there should be two numbers embossed either side of the valve stem.

The first number is the width of the rim, the second is the offset.

It you have copies, then you will need to remove the wheel and inspect the spokes for markings.

The rims 1/2 CWT has are 996 size and wider and slightly different offset than standard, although within the Porsche tolerances listed in the manual. 

They stopped being made many years ago and are very rare.

Happy to assist you with your spacer choice.  Although www.willtheyfit.com is a useful website to understand how it all works.

Cheap aftermarket spacers come with cheap wheel bolts - some are not the correct diameter for OEM rims.

Porsche fit 5mm spacers to their ltd edition cars and thus sell those as well as the correct bolts.  They may sell larger too, I've not looked into that myself.

Sorry Patt, didn't see I had reply. Cheers for the info, very interesting. My car has the twists on from factory but I couldn't see any info on the wheel face or around the valve. Not to worry, I've made a few mock up spacers to test what I like, just need a couple of 48mm bolts to try it out. Cheers!

13 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

, just need a couple of 48mm bolts to try it out. Cheers!

If you type VW wheel bolt 48mm - loads to chose from on the bay.  Although be sure to get radius not angled and be warned some are a smaller diameter on the washer bit

Archived