TT 3.2 DSG upgrade to 987.1

RFD

Hi,

Long time lurker on here. Was considering buying a Boxster 5 years ago but went for a Rangie and motorbike instead. I’ve been running around in a Mk1 TT roadster 3.2 DSG for the past 12 months, but feel its time to scratch the Boxster itch! A few questions if I may...

1. Has anyone else gone from a TT 3.2 to a Boxster? I don’t think the 3.2 TT is overly quick - how does it compare with a 2.7 or 3.2 Boxster?

2. I like the lazy option of DSG but it changes up too quickly for my liking. Is the Tip the same? How does it compare in everyday use to the DSG? If I get on with a Tip then all options are open but I’m leaning towards manual currently. 
3. How quickly does the car warm up? May seem like a minor point, but I enjoy cold water/ice swimming and the TT seats are fantastic! They are heated and warm up really quickly. Do I need to limit my Boxster options to one with heated seats, or do they warm quickly and provide warm air for post swim recovery?
My budget pushes me to the bottom end of the 987 market, sub-£9k ideally. Will be looking to buy tail end of this year or early 2021. I’ve had a good look at previous posts on this site and others, but any thoughts or advice always appreciated.

Thanks 

If you’re finding the TT not overly quick, then I’d go for the 987S to avoid disappointment. Does your DSG have a manual mode? The tips do and they also adapt to your driving style, but they are old style torque converter autos unlike the DSG which I think is the newer dual clutch type like the PDK on Boxsters from 2009 onwards.

I like driving in any sunny weather and have never worried about heated seats, but having done lots of open water swimming, I would definitely go with heated seats as they do take a while to warm up and just hot air blowing on you is not as effective as the seat warming you as well. There’s plenty of choice out there, so shouldn’t be a problem.

I’d aim for a late 2005 to benefit from larger IMS bearing (more reliable) and lower tax. £9k should get you a nice one from a private seller. Good luck👍

Lol

been here, had a low mikes mark1 TT 3.2 DSG and then swopped it for a 2.7 06plate Cayman

i loved the TT - interior is so stylish and special place to be and it’s a real usable car in coupe version.    I had my front suspension lower arms done, new rear springs and a re-map and it transformed that TT.   You’ll know the handling is a little heavy and cumbersome, but refreshing the suspension made a massive difference.

the Cayman / Boxster in comparison.  The engine is even more lovely to hear and use. It’s a more sports car to be in - lower down. The steering and brakes are just so tactile and lovely - it’s so easy to corner precision on a B road, where as the TT always has you slightly 50p cornering.

Thanks Chaps, really appreciate your views. It sounds like a 55-plate 3.2S manual with heated seats should be my best option. 
My choice of colour is a further limiting factor I fear - red, bright blue or black (I know!) 

8 minutes ago, RFD said:

Thanks Chaps, really appreciate your views. It sounds like a 55-plate 3.2S manual with heated seats should be my best option. 
My choice of colour is a further limiting factor I fear - red, bright blue or black (I know!) 

You’ll be lucky to find red or bright blue and they tend to attract a premium, but there are loads of black ones to choose from. It’s good that you’re not in a rush as bargains do come up over winter if you can move quickly. Get an alert set up on autotrader. Whereabouts are you based?

15 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

You’ll be lucky to find red or bright blue and they tend to attract a premium, but there are loads of black ones to choose from. It’s good that you’re not in a rush as bargains do come up over winter if you can move quickly. Get an alert set up on autotrader. Whereabouts are you based?

I’m Bristol area but prepared to travel. I bought the TT from Felixstowe and drove 4 hours home in rush hour and pouring rain!

So your thoughts on these two...

57-plate 2.7 Sport Edition with 104,000 miles in red for £9200

60-plate 2.9 987.2 with 141,000 miles in black for £10999. 
Normally mileage doesnt worry me on a well maintained car. Does that work with Boxsters too? 
I’ve set up watch lists in the usual places. I enjoy the search as much as owning the car, so I’m happy to keep an eye on prices/sales etc over the next few months to see what comes up. 

1 minute ago, RFD said:

I’m Bristol area but prepared to travel. I bought the TT from Felixstowe and drove 4 hours home in rush hour and pouring rain!

Normally mileage doesnt worry me on a well maintained car. Does that work with Boxsters too? 
I’ve set up watch lists in the usual places. I enjoy the search as much as owning the car, so I’m happy to keep an eye on prices/sales etc over the next few months to see what comes up. 

Welcome. Look out for our Southwest meets when you get a Box, if you fancy joing in. Your two options present a  tricky choice. The SE is a good one as it comes with added options, probably including Sports wheel, 6 speed box and body kit . On the other had the 987.2 is generally rated as having the superior engine. It's high mileage but that shouldn't be a concern. General consensus is history and maintenance are most important, and these cars need to be driven.

Just now, red rocket said:

Welcome. Look out for our Southwest meets when you get a Box, if you fancy joing in. Your two options present a  tricky choice. The SE is a good one as it comes with added options, probably including Sports wheel, 6 speed box and body kit . On the other had the 987.2 is generally rated as having the superior engine. It's high mileage but that shouldn't be a concern. General consensus is history and maintenance are most important, and these cars need to be driven.

Thanks red rocket. Where do you post your meets? I wouldn’t mind popping along to  help my research if that’s allowed? 

The high mileage 987.2 appeals for the security of knowing its the newer engine; my concern would be resale in a couple of years time when I’ve taken it to 150,000. There aren’t many people who will take a punt on a higher mileage car. The red 987.1 is on AT and looks good... 

27 minutes ago, RFD said:

Where do you post your meets? I wouldn’t mind popping along to  help my research if that’s allowed? 

In the meets section of the forum. Been a bit limited this year but we do runs through Cheddar or Exmoor from time to time, and lovely little car show down at Lynmouth, plus other events. 

1 hour ago, RFD said:

My 986 has 152k on the clock and gets thrashed mercilessly at weekends without complaint, but it was well looked after in it’s early life with regular oil changes. As long as they have regular oil changes they are good for 200k easily I reckon. Resale will be the issue as many think they explode when they go over 100k🙄

I like both of those, sport edition sounds like it’s got a fastidious owner which always bodes well, particularly if they’ve had it a while as they will likely have sorted all the niggles. FPSH as well which shows they don’t mind spending money on it.

17 hours ago, RFD said:

Hi,

Long time lurker on here. Was considering buying a Boxster 5 years ago but went for a Rangie and motorbike instead. I’ve been running around in a Mk1 TT roadster 3.2 DSG for the past 12 months, but feel its time to scratch the Boxster itch! A few questions if I may...

1. Has anyone else gone from a TT 3.2 to a Boxster? I don’t think the 3.2 TT is overly quick - how does it compare with a 2.7 or 3.2 Boxster?

2. I like the lazy option of DSG but it changes up too quickly for my liking. Is the Tip the same? How does it compare in everyday use to the DSG? If I get on with a Tip then all options are open but I’m leaning towards manual currently. 
3. How quickly does the car warm up? May seem like a minor point, but I enjoy cold water/ice swimming and the TT seats are fantastic! They are heated and warm up really quickly. Do I need to limit my Boxster options to one with heated seats, or do they warm quickly and provide warm air for post swim recovery?
My budget pushes me to the bottom end of the 987 market, sub-£9k ideally. Will be looking to buy tail end of this year or early 2021. I’ve had a good look at previous posts on this site and others, but any thoughts or advice always appreciated.

Thanks 

My feeling is if you've been used to a DSG, you'll not like a Tip. So make sure you have an extended test drive in all road conditions before buying. My view is Porsche designed the Tip in an attempt to match the performance of the manual (which it is never going to do) and in doing so ignored the reason why the likes of me choose an auto. The overall gearing was far too low making it very fussy at high speed cruise. So I changed it long before I'd normally do for a PDK. That is superb - but looks to be outside your budget. BTW, not sure what you mean by changes up too quickly. An auto should change up as early as it can pull the next highest gear when driving gently. For economy and emissions and noise. if you wish to grind along in a low gear, you have a manual option.😀 In London traffic, my 987.2 S spends most of its time between 1000-1500 rpm.

Both my Boxsters were slow to warm up at town speeds compared to other cars I've owned. Very glad the PDK has heated seats, as my car gets used all year round in the UK.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:09 PM, RFD said:

History especially evidence of smart money being. Spent wins over miles.  

look for suspension spend and coolant pipes and air con condensers.  

on the 987.1 there’s the IMS bearing check / replace. Not an issue on the gen 2. 

both have an issue with disk corrosion especially on cars that don’t get used hard

Hard call on the two you mentioned.  Me I would always look for the .2. 

that said I reckon there are lower mileage .1 for the similar money out there, there’s plenty out there.  

On 9/25/2020 at 7:09 PM, RFD said:

There's a repeat mantra on the site of buy on condition and not mileage. 

As other's have said check on the usual suspect item spend and you'll know the right car when you drive it regardless of whether it's a .1 or .2

Always worth keeping an eye out for owner cars on here which are up for sale.

10 hours ago, iborguk said:

There's a repeat mantra on the site of buy on condition and not mileage. 

As other's have said check on the usual suspect item spend and you'll know the right car when you drive it regardless of whether it's a .1 or .2

Always worth keeping an eye out for owner cars on here which are up for sale.

I couldn't agree more. I bought a low mile, one owner from new bag of cr*p that's taking time to put right. 

On paper was excellent

Thanks for the advice chaps. I’ve put my Mk1 TT up for sale today. I’ve priced it making very cheap when compared to the other 3.2 V6s for sale - I’m not a fan of pricing high and waiting months to sell; once I’ve decided I’m selling I price it so it goes quickly! 
Taking everything you’ve all posters into account, I think my preferred option is currently the red 987.1 Sport Edition with 104k. I’m pretty sure a red one is top of my preferences. I won’t waste the vendor’s time by calling him yet as mine may not sell fast. Hopefully it will still be available when I’m ready 👍🏻 

9 hours ago, RFD said:

Thanks for the advice chaps. I’ve put my Mk1 TT up for sale today. I’ve priced it making very cheap when compared to the other 3.2 V6s for sale - I’m not a fan of pricing high and waiting months to sell; once I’ve decided I’m selling I price it so it goes quickly! 
Taking everything you’ve all posters into account, I think my preferred option is currently the red 987.1 Sport Edition with 104k. I’m pretty sure a red one is top of my preferences. I won’t waste the vendor’s time by calling him yet as mine may not sell fast. Hopefully it will still be available when I’m ready 👍🏻 

Have you seen the red one listed today in the classifieds? Only 80k

Hi,

currently still have my 3.2 dsg TT and scratched the boxster itch. 
having driven the boxster for a month and hopped back in the TT it made me realise the TT is actually a great motor. But the thing I love about the boxster is it feels like an old car. Proper mechanical. Feel like the TT will be my choice over winter. 

So I found a cheap 2005 987 2.7 manual with 115k  as a bit of a project. 

feels about the same power wise as the TT but it’s easier to break speed limit in the boxster - it likes to rev obviously a manual box helps here. Haven’t really done any longer journeys but so far, the TT seems the comfier drive. Boxster is just a bit more special. I never really loved the TT but it’s been a fab, cheap car. The boxster is gonna be a money pit. 

Years ago there was a review of the first TT against an Impreza turbo. 
the reviewer said, to look at these, you assume one is a motorway cruiser, the other is a B road blaster. They are, but the wrong way round. 
I wonder if newer iterations of the TT are still as comfy. 

Archived