GTS

alank

Looked at a white /Blue top Box GTS on way home in my local OPC. It is a 2014 , 15500 miles £47995.  On closer inspection i was struggling to see the difference to my white S, except  the £15000 extra. Is their any major difference that warrants the extra money on these GTS's, engine same size, PDK, 4 wheels, interested to know.  Wasn't sure about the Blue top either.

The main difference is £15,000.00

It's pretty much a well specked S with 15 bhp more power (good luck spotting that)

Apparently it's much more than the sum of it's parts, that's just carp for 'I saw you coming'

However if you want the kudos  of a badge that costs about €10 to make then fill your boots.

My own opinion is that the alcantara is a cheap alternative for leather but then I would be the little boy pointing and saying 'but he's got no clothes on'.

GTS have a very good reputation, but I didn't think it was worth 15k markup.

That's a low mileage, and we've observed here recently that prices are really firming up. Given that's also an OPC, it all seems to add up. 

15k, wow.

Drive one.......you will then know and can decide if its worth £15k.......remember the £15k is not a “cost” as you will get it back on resale......in fact the gap between GTS and none GTS is likely to increase not decrease so it makes the car cheaper 😉

........and yes it is more than the sum of its parts and a lot more than a well specced S lol

2 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

Drive one.......you will then know and can decide if its worth £15k.......remember the £15k is not a “cost” as you will get it back on resale......in fact the gap between GTS and none GTS is likely to increase not decrease so it makes the car cheaper 😉

........and yes it is more than the sum of its parts and a lot more than a well specced S lol

I  agree that you will get some of the extra money back when sold which will offset the premium. 

You often state that it's more than the sum of the parts with no justification as to why.  I can believe that it's a fantastic car to drive but its and S with a tiny bit more power and a lot of nice options.  What is this woofle dust that they sprinkle on the car, or is it the same as a black car feeling faster?

My white s  2013 ( Dec 2013). Is on 21 k, with all but torque vectoring added. What extra is their to have, worth the premium. Is it better suspension for instance, not sure about giving up leather for alacantra either, I think it may have an extra rad, reading an article sometime ago. 

I'm with Eddie on this, £15k is too much a premium for a GTS...yes you might get back some of the £15k on resale but if thats was the sole reason for buying one its like leaving the plastic rap on your sofa

signed lowly S driver (who also thinks alcantara is the cheap alternative (base 981's came with it as standard originally IIRC)

When bought new the GTS was nothing like £15k extra over a similarly specced S, so as a new purchase given the extras included the GTS was worth the extra.  In addition there were a few extras only available on the GTS ( GTS pack etc.  The irony being that Porsche charge you extra🤑  to upgrade from the half alcantara base seats to full leather, then charge even more in the GTS to get half alcantara back in the GTS pack  ) Note - a well specced S with 15k miles is going to be advertised for a lot more than £32k  at an OPC (more like £38k). 

Second hand the gap did widen and has typically been around £10k between a decent S and a GTS,  Much of this due to the GTS being the best of the 6cylinder Boxsters.  it’s too soon to see how the 4.0 GTS will hit values.  The current car market is a bit random, there was a GTS on pistonheads a week ago under £40k and not selling.

For those in the know.... the properly specified S is the golden ticket, the difference in price is meant to represent the increase in spec you get over the majority of other 981s on sale.  The market doesn't get into that level of detail so a top spec S is a bit of a bargain in comparison.

However, the GTS does look great especially with the gloss pack, the sound symposer for induction noise is a nice add on but not sold on alcantara. The GTS cars without it are strangely less desirable 😂 

I've had a Cayman GTS side by side and sadly for the owner that's where it remained after several runs. Maybe mine is a healthy one, they do say the advertised outputs are the minimum they achieve.

Ultimately whatever one you buy the depreciation will be about the same so it boils down to whether or not you think it's worth the outlay. I didn't and my change went toward my daily driver instead.

The 981 GTS will do well over time compared to the 718 4.0 simply down to the noise.......and yes Porsche did sprinkle some fairy dust on the 981 GTS lol.......at the end of the day the market decides......the premium for a GTS has widened to a well specced S and will continue to do so......the 981 GTS will always be that little bit unique, a historic sweet spot in the Porsche range.......of course the difference in cost to a well specced S is subjective .........thus is the car market.....

ps the full leather option on a 981 GTS was a no cost options......I would never have one with that spec as the alcantara is what makes a GTS a GTS.....

Its irrelevant to me now anyway as I’m happier with my 987 GTS which has better steering !

31 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

The 981 GTS will do well over time compared to the 718 4.0 simply down to the noise....

This is a fair point as it seems to be the only area the 718 4.0. GTS (and GT4/Spider for that matter) is criticised. However I think a lot of 981 GTS Owners held onto their cars as they had no perceived suitable replacement, now many (if not all due to noise) will look to the 718 4.0.  Of course the noise advantage applies just as much to the 981 S  and should maintain its value in the same way - possibly more as there’s a bigger financial gap up to the 718 4.0.  

2 minutes ago, Greenman said:

This is a fair point as it seems to be the only area the 718 4.0. GTS (and GT4/Spider for that matter) is criticised. However I think a lot of 981 GTS Owners held onto their cars as they had no perceived suitable replacement, now many (if not all due to noise) will look to the 718 4.0.  Of course the noise advantage applies just as much to the 981 S  and should maintain its value in the same way - possibly more as there’s a bigger financial gap up to the 718 4.0.  

Yep - as and when I change it'll be to a Boxster/Cayman GTS 4.0 or a GT3 if I can get my wife in one!!

5 hours ago, Greenman said:

Yep very true ......I think a side benefit of the emissions and effect on the aural experience which is such a big part of owning a sports car will work in the 981 ranges favour (and the 987.2 in that respect).........I’ve not kept up on prices but 4 pot 718 had started to suffer and overlap 981 GTS prices........now the 4.0 are hitting the market it will be interesting where the 718 4 pots will settle in the market.........next caysters to be hybrid / full electric will throw another quandary that will work in the 981 favour but they will be getting older by then..........I think its inevitable that 981 GTS will become more and more a halo car of that genre of Porsche......mileage will be very important on them though which is ultimately why I dipped out as I did not want to play that game any longer........happy to enjoy a car thats 90% of the experience but there will always be those willing / happy to pay an increasing relative premium for the 981 GTS 

35 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

Yep very true ......I think a side benefit of the emissions and effect on the aural experience which is such a big part of owning a sports car will work in the 981 ranges favour (and the 987.2 in that respect).........I’ve not kept up on prices but 4 pot 718 had started to suffer and overlap 981 GTS prices........now the 4.0 are hitting the market it will be interesting where the 718 4 pots will settle in the market.........next caysters to be hybrid / full electric will throw another quandary that will work in the 981 favour but they will be getting older by then..........I think its inevitable that 981 GTS will become more and more a halo car of that genre of Porsche......mileage will be very important on them though which is ultimately why I dipped out as I did not want to play that game any longer........happy to enjoy a car thats 90% of the experience but there will always be those willing / happy to pay an increasing relative premium for the 981 GTS 

The only down side with the 981 when you compare with the 987 and 718 is the steering, and to be honest I think that is people making a mountain out of a molehill because it is perfectly acceptable.  The noise issue on the 718 is a bigger deal but then in return you are getting the 4.0l which is a good step forward.   At some point there will be a solution to the noise issue i'm sure.

18 minutes ago, alank said:

Just out of interest what is the noise issue with the 4.0L

It's very quiet because it has a particulate filter in the exhaust for emissions.  It's not that bad but the edge has been lost, I was out with a 718 GT4 and it's quieter on drive by than my 3.4 981.  

Yes no doubt out of warranty it can be addressed but then you are into MOT time .........

One of the things that the 987 reminds me of when I drive it is how much more feedback there is in the steering.....it never bothered me in the 981 as the GTS experience was so visceral aurally but its remarkable how you think “oh yes” as a reminder when you get back into a direct steering connection with the road........it is what makes Porsche so popular in that there are always ways in which new cars are improved but at the same time somethings are lost.....it keeps the older models popular and not just down to price points ie its amazing how many Porsche owners have had newer versions and end up back in older versions ......happens much more than you get with other marques in my experience

On 10/21/2020 at 12:25 AM, daz05 said:

For those in the know.... the properly specified S is the golden ticket, the difference in price is meant to represent the increase in spec you get over the majority of other 981s on sale.  The market doesn't get into that level of detail so a top spec S is a bit of a bargain in comparison.

That was my theory when I bought my S.  

No regrets here :)

3 hours ago, Jonttt said:

Yes no doubt out of warranty it can be addressed but then you are into MOT time .........

One of the things that the 987 reminds me of when I drive it is how much more feedback there is in the steering.....it never bothered me in the 981 as the GTS experience was so visceral aurally but its remarkable how you think “oh yes” as a reminder when you get back into a direct steering connection with the road........it is what makes Porsche so popular in that there are always ways in which new cars are improved but at the same time somethings are lost.....it keeps the older models popular and not just down to price points ie its amazing how many Porsche owners have had newer versions and end up back in older versions ......happens much more than you get with other marques in my experience

The 987 Spyder is quite special and nice to drive a manual Porsche that isn't geared to the moon.

22 hours ago, boxtastic said:

That was my theory when I bought my S.  

No regrets here :)

Yep.....but I took it one step further and got a well specced 987.2....same engine, old school steering and even better VFM........at the end of the day someone willing to pay the premium for a GTS is in a different market for different reasons 😉

13 hours ago, JonSta said:

I've always said that the maximum height at which the cost/benefit graphs cross is a well specced 987.2 3.4. OK I like the looks of the 981 - esp the interior - and I suspect that they're kludged together a bit better and are a bit more refined. But do I want that?

It seems to have gone that way now.  4 years ago, the 987.2 was double the price of the equivalent 987.1

Your theory works at the moment but I think the general rule is that a car's value reaches the nadir at around 10 years old.  In a couple of years it will be the 981.

Archived