Clunking

Andy9376

Afternoon, 

I’ve got a 987, and a few weeks ago had my tie rods replaced, then a couple of weeks ago I had the suspension arms replaced. Since then I get a knocking noise - at first it was just when I’m full lock, but today it’s been more prevalent when just turning the steering wheel. Any ideas? 
thanks a lot 

It seems that in a round about way you’re both suggesting a similar issue. I was worried it could be something more sinister such as steering column or something, but it would seem to be a bit coincidental as it happened straight after that work. At least I hope so anyway. Is it safe to drive for a couple of days so you think? 

Thanks a lot for replying. 

1 hour ago, red rocket said:

Impossible to say without knowing exactly what the problem is; and if it is loose bolts, then how loose?

Fair enough. I’ll have to cross my fingers. Car booked back in on Thursday 😬

Andy - just a thought - have it looked at somewhere else? - don't know who you are using and they could well be absolutely 100% correct and Kosher - but there are some jokers out there who take people for a ride (and have got away with it for years) - but when "new" problems occur after work being done I start to get suspicious.

I would expect a decent garage to check the suspension over before and after the previous work and them be telling me at the time that other stuff may need doing - but that's me and I am well known for being a cynical bugger.

£1k for a top mount change!!!  I'd accept that is it was shocks too, but for a knock after some suspension arm work, why would they suddenly need doing?  Find somewhere else to quote as well.  Where in the 'Midlands' are you?

If you are any good with spanners, even if you have to buy a few tools, you can get Sachs OE ones for £50 a pair (Not £150 each from Porsche) so even if you don't DIY, supply the parts and save £250.  I took a weekend to do springs, top mount and a track rod on my 986 and they are not that different, you don't even had to undo the 'difficult' ARB drop link bolt in the upright to di it.  A decent mechanic with a ramp, 5 hours absolute max for both sides tops and that includes stripping cleaning and re-greasing the top bearing, then a track up.

BTW doing DIY labour on my 986 I'll have changed (when it stop raining long enough) all the coffin arms, the front tuning forks, the rear tie rods (all from Spyder Performance), 4 new KONI Special Active shocks (OE equivalent but you may want to go Bilstein B4 for the nearest OE but at about 30% more, good prices for both on AUTODOC), 2 OE front springs, 2 Sachs top mounts, 1 TRW track rod, 4 OE camber bolts and all 4 bump stops for under £1350 in parts.  Labour 2 weekends working off axle stands outside, special tools, Induction heater £170 to free the drop link bolts and a reciprocating saw £50).  I know some 987  parts are different but a lot of the 986 parts I've listed have superseded to 987 parts.  I know labour can be expensive but £1k for top mounts?

1 hour ago, Andy9376 said:

So I took it to my Indy and they think it could be a top strut, and possibly up to 1k to fix. Does this sound right? How can this have started after the lower arms were replaced?

Depends precisely what's included. Maybe ok if they propose to do both sides and maybe replace shocks at same time. I am just waiting for delivery of 2 B4 shocks from Design911 for £345 and am buying top mounts from Spyder Performance for about £85 including bearings. Think you need to get more details and a quote from at least one other garage.

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

Andy - just a thought - have it looked at somewhere else? - don't know who you are using and they could well be absolutely 100% correct and Kosher - but there are some jokers out there who take people for a ride (and have got away with it for years) - but when "new" problems occur after work being done I start to get suspicious.

I would expect a decent garage to check the suspension over before and after the previous work and them be telling me at the time that other stuff may need doing - but that's me and I am well known for being a cynical bugger.

I’ve always trusted them to be fair, but this just seems a bid odd. I’m a cynical bugger too 🤣

2 hours ago, Freeman said:

Hmmm thanks a lot for this!

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

£1k for a top mount change!!!  I'd accept that is it was shocks too, but for a knock after some suspension arm work, why would they suddenly need doing?  Find somewhere else to quote as well.  Where in the 'Midlands' are you?

If you are any good with spanners, even if you have to buy a few tools, you can get Sachs OE ones for £50 a pair (Not £150 each from Porsche) so even if you don't DIY, supply the parts and save £250.  I took a weekend to do springs, top mount and a track rod on my 986 and they are not that different, you don't even had to undo the 'difficult' ARB drop link bolt in the upright to di it.  A decent mechanic with a ramp, 5 hours absolute max for both sides tops and that includes stripping cleaning and re-greasing the top bearing, then a track up.

BTW doing DIY labour on my 986 I'll have changed (when it stop raining long enough) all the coffin arms, the front tuning forks, the rear tie rods (all from Spyder Performance), 4 new KONI Special Active shocks (OE equivalent but you may want to go Bilstein B4 for the nearest OE but at about 30% more, good prices for both on AUTODOC), 2 OE front springs, 2 Sachs top mounts, 1 TRW track rod, 4 OE camber bolts and all 4 bump stops for under £1350 in parts.  Labour 2 weekends working off axle stands outside, special tools, Induction heater £170 to free the drop link bolts and a reciprocating saw £50).  I know some 987  parts are different but a lot of the 986 parts I've listed have superseded to 987 parts.  I know labour can be expensive but £1k for top mounts?

Unfortunately I can barely wire a plug, so my car costs me a lot at times ha. I’m in north Warwickshire, near Coleshill. Who would you recommend?

1 hour ago, red rocket said:

Depends precisely what's included. Maybe ok if they propose to do both sides and maybe replace shocks at same time. I am just waiting for delivery of 2 B4 shocks from Design911 for £345 and am buying top mounts from Spyder Performance for about £85 including bearings. Think you need to get more details and a quote from at least one other garage.

My understanding was that this was just for one top mount. He said he’s rather do both but appreciates it’s costly. He said it may not be that much but you never know what you’re going to find until you start stripping it down, so therefore could go up to 1k.

47 minutes ago, The Caped Crusader said:

£1k for two top mounts?! Time to find another garage I think. 

This is not a difficult job and not even that time-consuming. Parts are relatively inexpensive too. 

It was just the one 🤣

5 hours ago, Andy9376 said:

Unfortunately I can barely wire a plug, so my car costs me a lot at times ha. I’m in north Warwickshire, near Coleshill. Who would you recommend?

I'm south mids in Northants so a bit far for you to travel to the place I'd recommend, Dove House in Rushden.  They do a practical labour rate for low value Porsches at £85/hr inc VAT and will fit parts you supply.  So one top mount should be well under £300 (even if it takes 2½ hours, which I doubt) if you supply the Sachs top mount sourced from Mister Auto on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SACHS-Suspension-Struts-Front-802-553-Discount-Car-Parts/192794966601?epid=5017015002&hash=item2ce379ba49:g:e6AAAOSwlf1dOHNT

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I'm south mids in Northants so a bit far for you to travel to the place I'd recommend, Dove House in Rushden.  They do a practical labour rate for low value Porsches at £85/hr inc VAT and will fit parts you supply.  So one top mount should be well under £300 (even if it takes 2½ hours, which I doubt) if you supply the Sachs top mount sourced from Mister Auto on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SACHS-Suspension-Struts-Front-802-553-Discount-Car-Parts/192794966601?epid=5017015002&hash=item2ce379ba49:g:e6AAAOSwlf1dOHNT

I’d travel there to be fair. I really appreciate that, thanks mate

9 hours ago, Andy9376 said:

I’d travel there to be fair. I really appreciate that, thanks mate

Give them a call and ask for Tony.  They also have loan cars, Minis so not too bad, which will help if you are a hike away.  I'm just mad and do most of the work myself but I like an expert to see it about every 12 months and I was impressed both times I've used them, first they switched on cruise control in my DME for no charge even though I'd never been there before, and an oil & filters service (£270 menu pricing, the other local indy I used for a service with spark plugs was £345+VAT and no loan car) which was a good experience with a proper list of areas for attention and a decent conversation about the car generally.

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Give them a call and ask for Tony.  They also have loan cars, Minis so not too bad, which will help if you are a hike away.  I'm just mad and do most of the work myself but I like an expert to see it about every 12 months and I was impressed both times I've used them, first they switched on cruise control in my DME for no charge even though I'd never been there before, and an oil & filters service (£270 menu pricing, the other local indy I used for a service with spark plugs was £345+VAT and no loan car) which was a good experience with a proper list of areas for attention and a decent conversation about the car generally.

That does sound exceptionally good service to be fair. It’s seemingly harder and harder to find one you can trust. I always prefer a recommendation so it’s much appreciated. 

You could also try these guys.  https://www.german-autos.co.uk/

They are Uppingham - also Northants. Someone told me about them on the last Porsche run out - says he never uses anyone else. Lower rent than Dove House but they quoted me a price for service/plugs/brake fluid that was considerably cheaper than D H. Being a cynical bugger too I took a drive over there. Two guys in a unit but there were heaps of 911s outside and having spoken to them they will do my service/suspension refresh when it's time.

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

You could also try these guys.  https://www.german-autos.co.uk/

They are Uppingham - also Northants. Someone told me about them on the last Porsche run out - says he never uses anyone else. Lower rent than Dove House but they quoted me a price for service/plugs/brake fluid that was considerably cheaper than D H. Being a cynical bugger too I took a drive over there. Two guys in a unit but there were heaps of 911s outside and having spoken to them they will do my service/suspension refresh when it's time.

I’ll take a look, thanks a lot. 

Archived