15 Things I Didn't Know About Porsche Boxster 981

718as

I knew the windows raise a smidge when the door is opened but always wondered why. Would never have thought it's to stop the glass rattling when the door is shut - clever these Germans!

What is the green handled thing on the left hand side of the frunk? Don't think I've got anything there?

54 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

I knew the windows raise a smidge when the door is opened but always wondered why. Would never have thought it's to stop the glass rattling when the door is shut - clever these Germans!

What is the green handled thing on the left hand side of the frunk? Don't think I've got anything there?

Didn’t watch the video (well 10 seconds because i find anything on YouTube with a selfie stick and my little pony fonts annoying ) but going to guess it’s a USA model.  In which case there’s an emergency release ha due inside the luggage spaces so when you get kidnapped and out in the boot/frunk/trunk then you can let yourself out. 

on the windows.  They drop when you open the door surely.  Otherwise they just jam in the roof. There is an anti rattle setting in piwis for 987 not sure when it does but assumed it was when windows down maybe they lift a little as you close but never researched it. 

4 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Didn’t watch the video (well 10 seconds because i find anything on YouTube with a selfie stick and my little pony fonts annoying ) but going to guess it’s a USA model.  In which case there’s an emergency release ha due inside the luggage spaces so when you get kidnapped and out in the boot/frunk/trunk then you can let yourself out. 

on the windows.  They drop when you open the door surely.  Otherwise they just jam in the roof. There is an anti rattle setting in piwis for 987 not sure when it does but assumed it was when windows down maybe they lift a little as you close but never researched it. 

Ah, that would explain the handle and why I haven't got one - hope I don't get kidnapped!

The window raising thing is when the windows are fully down, if you open the door they raise about 5-10mm which according to matey in the video is so the glass doesn't rattle when the door is shut.

17 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

Ah, that would explain the handle and why I haven't got one - hope I don't get kidnapped!

The window raising thing is when the windows are fully down, if you open the door they raise about 5-10mm which according to matey in the video is so the glass doesn't rattle when the door is shut.

Reckon that’s a piwis setting on mine.  Will play at weekend to see. 

I'm surprised yours don't do it Paul.  I thought it was the default setting.  It was set that way on my 987.2 Cayman.

Again, on the 987 Cayman, you can set the windows to drop an inch or so when you open the tailgate, which makes it easier to shut.  It releases the air pressure in the cabin, so you can just drop the lid from about 6" and it locks, instead of having to press it down by hand.  Unfortunately there is no such setting on the 981C/982C.

11 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

I think not getting out will be the least of my problems if I get put in there, they'd have to dismember me first to fit me in...

On 11/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, Richard Hamilton said:

I'm surprised yours don't do it Paul.  I thought it was the default setting.  It was set that way on my 987.2 Cayman.

Again, on the 987 Cayman, you can set the windows to drop an inch or so when you open the tailgate, which makes it easier to shut.  It releases the air pressure in the cabin, so you can just drop the lid from about 6" and it locks, instead of having to press it down by hand.  Unfortunately there is no such setting on the 981C/982C.

If might. If it only happens if the windows are fully down then i probably don’t actually do that often.  Tend to drive windows up at speed and rarely drop them all the way when i slow. 

will have to go try it now. 

On 11/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, Richard Hamilton said:

You were of course correct Richard.  Mine does do it. Windows fully down they lift slightly on door open and stop again on door close.  

Every day, school day etc. 

23 hours ago, grommett said:

He didn't mention the hidden tyre compressor I recently found under the scuttle panel after 3 years of ownership!!

not the most powerful thing in the world but a nice tool for emergencies

• 3 weeks later...

Archived