Car for my dad - 981 advice please!

dpg123

Hi !

My father (72) currently drives a 2013 Jaguar XK Protfolio cabrio (5.0l, 28k miles and like new).
Before that, 5 years ago, he had a beautiful 987S (3.2 manual) which he loved and still regrets selling. He feels he has one last fun car in him! He lives in N Ireland, so plenty of good roads. He’s spotted this:

https://www.iccautomotive.com/vehicle-details/Porsche-Boxster-U601/

I am looking at it this weekend. Has anyone viewed this car or have thoughts? Given his age and the fact that it’ll be a second occasional fun car (they have a 5 series estate to lug the dog and stuff around in), it seems a good compromise between performance and spec. It’s his favoured colour scheme and has some good options. 
Please can you let me know what to look out for on a 981 and also what might bother him on the spec? 
Thanks! 

No bright headlights. He might not like them at night. As a fun car, he might never drive at night.  I think aftermarket conversions are now better but I don’t follow them. 

Hope he gets what he wants :) 

I've got that the same interior with mine and love it! I've had two other 981s, both with black interiors, but the pebble etc interior feels a bit more special and oddly makes the inside of the car feel bigger. Nicely spec'd car. 

Make sure he gets a long test drive, as he'll find it slow, noisy and bumpy after his Jag.

They are great cars, but not as refined as that XK.

Also is his mobility good, will he be able to get in and out ok?

The resale on the Jag wont be great, 5.0 petrol in these times, isnt that popular, but  hopefully you can find an enthusiast who wants one.

OP says he had a 987 5 years ago which he loved. Mobility shouldn't be that bad, and 981 is certainly more comfortable than a 987.  Just make sure it gets 18in wheels instead of 20, should be fine. Still valid points though; we can often get too used to comfort!

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

OP says he had a 987 5 years ago which he loved. Mobility shouldn't be that bad, and 981 is certainly more comfortable than a 987.  Just make sure it gets 18in wheels instead of 20, should be fine. Still valid points though; we can often get too used to comfort!

I actually found the seats in my 987 to be more comfortable than my 981. The 987 I took around France and never really had any issues with comfort at all - I've only had the 981 since a week or two before lockdown and not really driven it any distance, but a trip to Manchester (about 45 minutes each way) had me feeling it in my legs. Probably the fancy fully adjustable seat (same as the one in the post) not being set up properly though.

The 987 was also better with the top down.

15 minutes ago, Rob™ said:

Probably the fancy fully adjustable seat (same as the one in the post) not being set up properly though

Yes a badly adjusted seat can be a pain, literally, and like my office seat these days there are so many adjustments one wonders where to start.  I finally solved a literal pain in the butt by adjusting the angle of the base, yet I had been convinced it needed more padding, no idea how it worked but it did.  

Must be a guide to multi-adjustable car seats somewhere...

Thanks for all the replies!

When I called the dealer this morning he told me he'd sold it 30 mins before. 

A little relieved to be honest - I think my dad would really have preferred an S and I'm still trying to talk him into a Gen 2 PDK 997! They're around £5-7.5k more though.

13 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

A little relieved to be honest - I think my dad would really have preferred an S and I'm still trying to talk him into a Gen 2 PDK 997! They're around £5-7.5k more though.

S good idea 😃.

997 🤔? When younger, I also tried to steer my Dad towards cars I wanted 😂

To no avail though 😭! Maybe you might have more luck 😃

8 hours ago, dpg123 said:

Thanks for all the replies!

When I called the dealer this morning he told me he'd sold it 30 mins before. 

Had a go in the base model 3.6, engines as nice but overall it didn't have the same feeling of event to me when driving it and the pdk in them feels a generation behind.

I went from a 5L XKR to a Box S and love the Box. The Jag was stunningly fast and if you want comments about how beautiful your car is then it is a great choice but personally the Porsche is not exactly slow and I can drive it without getting into licence losing territory every time I take it out, the roof also comes down and it doesn't cost £550 a year to tax!

Archived