This is a heck of a car for the money

Ninesomething

It would be interesting to fully inspect one of these repaired cat S cars and get it on an alignment rig if the sellers would let you. Often easy to make the exterior look OK to the untrained eye, but start removing bits of trim in the frunk or boot area and the quality of the repair starts to become apparent.

I might be tempted by something like this as I tend to keep my cars until they’re not worth repairing, so resale wouldn’t be an issue, just break it for parts. Pointless buying it if the handling is compromised though unless you are just poseur.

I agree with Daz - just doesn't look right.

Personally I wouldn't touch it let alone get in it, drive it hard and hope it's integrity hasn't been compromised in the event of anything surprising happening on those >£1,000 Michelin SP4's... whatever they might be.

You' d have to be a total eejit to buy it without getting it certified by Porsche. What bothers me is they can afford to sell it at that price after paying for repairs so what must they have paid for it and what state was it in? To me ' light frontal damage' does not = cat S.

Shame it got wrecked - damned nice car.

9 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Clean MOT done on 14 November (oddly at 59k miles (ad says 50k).

Does an MOT not check the basic structural integrity of a car not really?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles

it says it had front damage and to me looking at the pics the o/s bumper/bonnet gap looks off add to that it says the o/s light is cracked.

i viewed a cat d 981 cayman back in 2018 supposedly repaired to a high standard.it took me 10 seconds to find the front tub all creased(i worked in a body shop for many years) and the repair had involved putting on a 2nd hand bumper only and leaving the damage.

btw cat c and cat d were only based on the value/cost of repairs not the level of damage and bear no connection to the modern cat s cat n(ie a cat c is not the same as a cat s)

40 minutes ago, JonSta said:

You' d have to be a total eejit to buy it without getting it certified by Porsche. What bothers me is they can afford to sell it at that price after paying for repairs so what must they have paid for it and what state was it in? To me ' light frontal damage' does not = cat S.

Shame it got wrecked - damned nice car.

It's as bent as a hairpin!

52 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

No, it can’t check stuff that’s not visible, so it won’t spot weakened structural members under trim or a chassis that is bent. With modern undertrays they don’t even check if the brake lines are rusted out😳

2 hours ago, dpg123 said:

And to make things even more confusing/dodgy one of the pictures shows 56k on the odo !

Maybe it's an old advert of course but still seems odd.

Are the rear lights GT4 units? They seem to be nicely tinted.

7 hours ago, daz05 said:

Maybe in my head but it's not sitting quite as low as a pasm car should and that roof looks like it was added later which is concerning!

Agree with this. Sitting too high for a PASM car. Pictures of hood up taken in the shade, the roof up at the rear is sagging both sides. Leather damaged on centre console. Drivers side sill level gap where it meets front wing too big.

I remember seeing this same car advertised when I was looking for my 987.2 back around May / June I think and remember how good the spec was back then - however it initially only had a group of photos that are now the at the end of the list in the advert (i.e. photos 18 to 25 with green metal buildings in the background), and when it was initially listed the photo from directly behind you could see that the raised rear spoiler was really wonky.

That has been fixed & straightened up now, but when you could see obviously at least some work done at the back on the spoiler and also it saying the damage was at the front, was too much to scare me off before.

Would have been nice though to have had one with both heated & cooled seats and to have got a generation newer for what wasn't much more money, but couldn't take the risk myself.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:15 PM, banjo1 said:

it says it had front damage and to me looking at the pics the o/s bumper/bonnet gap looks off add to that it says the o/s light is cracked.

i viewed a cat d 981 cayman back in 2018 supposedly repaired to a high standard.it took me 10 seconds to find the front tub all creased(i worked in a body shop for many years) and the repair had involved putting on a 2nd hand bumper only and leaving the damage.

btw cat c and cat d were only based on the value/cost of repairs not the level of damage and bear no connection to the modern cat s cat n(ie a cat c is not the same as a cat s)

+1 - Dodgy with a capital DODGY - walk away.

Archived