Upgrade my 986 or move to a 987

stupidget

How do,

I'm stuck in a bit of a quandary.  I've got some spare cash and am wondering if I should spend it upgrading my current 2004 S or should I flog it and put the money and the wedge of spare cash towards 987?  With regards to upgrades on my S i'm thinking of the following:

1 - New seats.  I think the springs in the original seats have had ir.

2 - adding the OBC stick.  I already have Cruise control

3 - New exhaust

What would you lot do?

Guess it depends on what else has been done to the 986 ( engine, clutch, suspension, roof.....) or if there are any other big items looming ( need tyres? ) - then the same argument for a 987 - whats it had spent, whats it going to need soon etc.

Neither car is a "spring chicken" anymore so for me it would come down to "do I like/want (spec, colour, toys, condition etc.  a 987  enough to make the jump? " then do the maths on what you want and how to make the numbers work

probably stick with the 986 and upgrade it - if you are going to upgrade the car, probably a 981 or 718 to really get a noticeable difference.

Depends on your budget, but you know your car, what you've done to it etc - there is always the risk you buy the next one and end up having to spend more on it to get it to the same level.

Although i can't really comment as i change my cars too often - i get around the quandary by rarely buying the same model!! :)

1 hour ago, Fish19700 said:

Question I'd ask myself 'what am I trying to achieve?'

This.  Answer is very different between daily driver and weekend hooner for example.  And DIY maintenance or relying on paying someone?

Neither will be more mechanically reliable, by now, in terms of "it's newer"; all are at least 10 years old.

Mahoosive difference between 987.1 and 987.2 with the latter having a brand new engine with no IMS, bore score etc etc, and also the option of PDK which has converted many a manual fan.

I would agree with Mattman42 if you are going to change go for 981/718 if budget allows. I would add what mods you want to make, add to current value of 986 plus what you have spent already. Dare I mention IMS ..............has it been done?? Really cost me £.............still makes cringe when I think about it!

As someone said already you know your car and what you have had done or likely to need in the near future.Better the devil you know..................

Then have a look around in market place. Are the mods you want to make to 986 available on newer cars in your price bracket available?

I changed last year from 2004 S ours from new to 2016 981 S PDK its like day and night! Her indoors loves it!!

I was lucky as 60th birthday and blew some of the pension pot!

I have posted the longer version a few weeks back.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Fish19700 said:

Same here. I went from one 986 to another because 986 just fits the bill.

4 hours ago, Fish19700 said:

I suppose I'm thinking that there are niggly things that need doing to my 986 that I know are all going to start adding up cost wise.  The door seal has clearly gone as the bottom of the driver side door is soaked, the exhaust needs changing as it's blowing slightly, like I said the drivers seat springs feel like they've had better days and some of the paintwork needs attention and probably needs lacquering.  That's before I even start to look at things like replacing the IMS, just in case it goes.

It drives fantastically, starts first time every time (even when it's -6oC outside), there are no clunks or clangs whilst driving, tyres are fine, A/C was fixed last summer and 2 condensers were fitted, no mayo in the oil cap, new pipes fitted last year to stop coolant leak, coolant hasn't moved in 9 months, brakes are fine and over all it's a brilliant car.

I'm pretty sure there is a large element of 'I've had this toy for 2 years and now I want a shinier slightly newer one'.

If you just want something newer with a bit more certainly of reliability then get a newer lower mileage car. The caveat as usual is that even the earliest 987 are 15 years old and the youngest 8+. There will be things to do on a 987 too. But you could buy a pretty well sorted 986 or 987 regardless of age. 

3 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

stop putting reality in the way of man-maths - let the man buy a new car!! :)

There really only is one important question that needs answered here, can you get it past SWMBO?

If so, have at it with the man maths good sir.

6 hours ago, stupidget said:

How do,

I'm stuck in a bit of a quandary.  I've got some spare cash and am wondering if I should spend it upgrading my current 2004 S or should I flog it and put the money and the wedge of spare cash towards 987?  With regards to upgrades on my S i'm thinking of the following:

1 - New seats.  I think the springs in the original seats have had ir.

2 - adding the OBC stick.  I already have Cruise control

3 - New exhaust

What would you lot do?

Stick - 986's are on the way up, 987.1 still dropping and you could have similar problems to fix. Unless you can jump to 987.2 

Archived