Roof elastic replaced

McDonald

A satisfying little job completed this morning. I've replaced the elastic that keeps the roof lined up. "How to" videos on YouTube are my new best friend. The Indie had quoted me £170.00 to do this. I am widely agreed to have no practical application, but even I could do this. I've done a better job that the original too. One inch button hole elastic instead of the half inch original. That lasted 16 yrs so the new fix should outlast me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bleedsoff said:

Which was the best video did you use? Do you mind linking it?

I think this is the one we normally refer people to 

As @McDonald mentions, buttonhole elastic works well and it's pretty easy to just remove the screw which holds the elastic in place rather than stapling or sewing new/additional elastic onto the existing piece. Lots of us have done it - plenty of info here  if you search for say  'elastic'.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, McDonald said:

A satisfying little job completed this morning. I've replaced the elastic that keeps the roof lined up. "How to" videos on YouTube are my new best friend. The Indie had quoted me £170.00 to do this. I am widely agreed to have no practical application, but even I could do this. I've done a better job that the original too. One inch button hole elastic instead of the half inch original. That lasted 16 yrs so the new fix should outlast me.

Good stuff. Like you i had very little 'expertise' before i joined BoXa and simple yet very effective bits of maintenance like this are therefore all the more satisfying.

• Like 1

I did mine a few weeks ago, with button hole elastic, sewn by hand onto the backing fabric. It really didn’t take long and both sides work perfectly now. Very satisfying.

I did find a strand of thick white thread hanging inside the fabric, from the top edge, that had clearly snapped. But I couldn’t find where it was meant to go, can’t see it on the parts fiche and the top works fine so I’m just ignoring it. 

2 hours ago, Bleedsoff said:

Which was the best video did you use? Do you mind linking it?

Red Rocket has posted one I found helpful. I actually found three & watched them all twice.

Key information: One end of the elastic is held by a Torx 15 screw. To access it I bought a Torx set & mini Ratchet (£13 from Amazon). I also bought a yard of one inch button hole elastic (I chose black). With the roof about half way back, I located and undid two velcro straps on each side to loosen the canopy and get access. With the torx mini ratchett, loosen the screw turning anti clockwise a couple of turns but don't take it out. Then unhook the old elastic over the screw like opening a shirt button. Then take the old elastic off the other end (I unpicked the stitching with a Stanley knife.)

Cut a piece of new button elastic a little longer than the old one, so that you can stitch it higher up the fabric flap. You need about 5 inches from the edge of the flap to the Torx screw. Stitch or staple (I stitched) at the flap end, then attach the other end to the Torx screw (like doing up a shirt button). The elastic shouldn't be stretched but shouldn't be loose fitting either. Tighten the Torx screw turning clockwise. Remember to refasten the velcro fixings. When you close the roof, the fit should be perfect - job done.

Or drive to an Indie. Wait an hour or two. Hand over £170.00. Return home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, 987RG said:

Below is a link to a video i created on this last year, maybe helpful too.

Thanks for taking the time to make the video. This one of the three I viewed (twice) before embarking on the job. It helped to embolden me

- the word novice was invented to describe me.

This thread motivated me to finally do this today... I used staples on one end but didn’t have a screwdriver at the other end so did some sewing :)... roof now fixed and lots of thanks to this forum.. but in the process I broke this .... any idea what it is called ? Trip to OPC or ebay to replace now.

7B58F253-5DF2-48B5-A2D9-D854D0ED5DBB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

...and at 5 seconds to remove, this is why you should never leave your car unattended with the roof down.

I once parked my Stag overnight in St.Johns Wood with the roof down. Next morning found some scally had got in and broken a number of switches. I paid through the nose to replace them all, but the choke knob (remember those) was broken off and I never managed to find a replacement. The car was yellow. Forever after, I had a pair of yellow-handled pliers on the centre console

On 3/7/2021 at 7:24 PM, BoxsterTOMacan said:

Thanks...Wow... that was an expensive mistake :(... I knew the Perspex in the middle was a wind deflector but thought these would be called something else.

F8DE03ED-E23C-4A81-9B80-B35EFC129D4A.png

Keep an eye on eBay, they occasionally come up much cheaper than that!

On 3/7/2021 at 7:24 PM, BoxsterTOMacan said:

Thanks...Wow... that was an expensive mistake :(... I knew the Perspex in the middle was a wind deflector but thought these would be called something else.

F8DE03ED-E23C-4A81-9B80-B35EFC129D4A.png

£115 ish from OPC and ask for 10% Porsche Club GB/Tipec discount if that's the route you end up going. 

• 5 months later...

Had a go at this at the weekend and found the recommended 5 inches was far too slack/loose. Even when the roof was very nearly closed there was basically no tension on the elastic at all. Went with more like 4 inches and seems to have solved my passenger side.

The driver side felt much better and i decided didn't need touching really. elastic felt fine (they'd both been 'repaired' before I discovered) so i left that one. Now the driver side seems to be doing it more haha..what?! Will have another look when i have chance.

I also repaired the 'bits of string' that were hanging out each side. I figured it's extremely likely they cross over to opposing sides in some way to create a proper crease as it folds - and it's just snapped at some point.. I was right. They thread up through a tunnel inside a seam on the outer fabric to the other side, conjoined by a length of elastic in between them. Pulled both out, rejoined using tiny cable ties, cutting them as small as possible, then heat-shrinking over it for smoothness, then threaded it through with a piece of DIY rod lengths. Worked a treat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Megatonks said:

I also repaired the 'bits of string' that were hanging out each side. I figured it's extremely likely they cross over to opposing sides in some way to create a proper crease as it folds - and it's just snapped at some point.. I was right. They thread up through a tunnel inside a seam on the outer fabric to the other side, conjoined by a length of elastic in between them. Pulled both out, rejoined using tiny cable ties, cutting them as small as possible, then heat-shrinking over it for smoothness, then threaded it through with a piece of DIY rod lengths. Worked a treat.

I’ve got those ‘bits of string’ too. Did the repair make any difference/improvement or was it just for satisfaction of solving the issue?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 6:06 PM, BBB said:

I’ve got those ‘bits of string’ too. Did the repair make any difference/improvement or was it just for satisfaction of solving the issue?

Yeah it definitely solved the issue of them getting loose inside and poking out at times. As to whether it makes much difference to the roof mechanism etc? then it's hard to say really - I just wanted it to be put right again haha! It wasn't difficult to do once i'd figured out the best way haha

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Have seen the videos about replacing the elastic...question though: What is the official OPC fix for this problem?  

5 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Step this way my boy and hand over £900.....

I really need to do my passenger side one. I always close the roof to the last 6" and get out and check. Not while the car is moving... Sometimes it's fine someimes it snags over.

£900 for replacing the hood?