Porsche Boxster Rear Jack Point from Fabspeed Motorsport (group buy possibly?)

fizz

So a mate of mine showed me this and im thinking it will actually be quite a useful thing to have if im to work on my car at home on a regular basis. 

Anyone got one and if not anyone interested in getting one. Maybe if we have enough interest might be able to get a group discount on it? 

So far myself and @Sanky are up for it. 

Jack_Point__98385.1489607304.1280.1280_1
987_Tiedowns_Jack_Point_Detail__24526.13
Porsche_Jack_Point_-_Installed_2__31672.

https://nemesisuk.com/products/fabspeed-fs-por-jp-boxster-cayman-jack-point?_pos=6&_sid=5310e619a&_ss=r

Any takers? also i presume this will also depend on how rusted the existing bolts are there under our cars as to hos big a job it will be to fit? 

8 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Are there any reviews on these? Is that centre bracket bit strong enough? If so I'd be quite interested for my Cayman

So the main US site only has 3 reviews on the product itself... All are favourable but obviously they would be right? I cant see there being a downside to it though. 

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-986-boxster-jack-point-1997-2004/?fbclid=IwAR0BQ22F8c9ptbNmrc6LXSrN-jAdsgAAsaAoTN1dkaEzV0dwDedj70aYuVQ

So another mate of mine is wanting one too... so thats 3 confirmed 

1 - Fizz
2 - Ed - (Fizz's mate)
3 - @Sanky
4 - @Lennym1984?

Say we get enough for a discount, i will probably ask for a moderator on here if they are willing to deal with the finances as im a newbie here just so people are confident in the purchase. :) 

Perhaps just showing my ignorance (but hey, why let that stop me), I thought jacking from the centre was frowned upon? I thought you had to jack from under the suspension mounts at each side, where the red towing eye loops are in one of the photos above.

I’m not trying to derail the group buy, rather, trying to understand so I can decide whether to join in.

32 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Having removed that metal plate several times and seen how flimsy that metal frame is, there's no way I'd jack my car up with that😬

That was my reservation too. The little u shaped bracket doesn't seem very substantial

And that's the reason these forums are good! 

I thought they were a reputable company but alas I have a lot to learn in Porsche land. 👍🏽

Ahh well let's scrap this one. 🙃

Never going to jack mine in that position unless I want to inflict costly damage.

In the picture the support for the tray seems to be from solid alloy in which case possibly, but still doubtful other than an emergency, like the track spec towing eyes too.

10 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

The bar is aluminium I think. I had one of last week and it weighs next to nothing.

Absolutely no chance I would jack it up there, the bar would bend.

Had mine off last year. There is no way I would risk a jack on this point. There doesn't look to be enough strength in the bar to risk supporting the heaviest end of the car. IMHO.

8 hours ago, bally4563 said:

A large block of wood on top of the trolley jack does exactly the same thing, often jack central from that point

Do you think that it's sufficiently strong enough to support the car safely?

3 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Do you think that it's sufficiently strong enough to support the car safely?

🤔 I changed the engine mount lifting from there, but I also had a trolley jack underneath the engine, as you have to lower the engine down to pull some bolts out

38 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

🤔 I changed the engine mount lifting from there, but I also had a trolley jack underneath the engine, as you have to lower the engine down to pull some bolts out

So not taking the full weight of the rear of the car...

I use the forward point of the support plate where it attaches to the main chassis support which is substantial and steel. The only thing is you need a reasonably long jack to get under the car far enough. If you look at the first picture Fizz put up of the item fitted you can see the other end of the reinforcement plate where the two nuts attach it to the chassis.

I’ve got the gearbox cover plate off our car at the moment and that brace doesn’t look anything like strong enough. It’s appears to be quite a cheap pressed part designed to hold the cover up. There’s no strengthening at the bends. I personally wouldn’t jack it from there. 

Archived