First years running costs 981 2.7

Ringmaster999

OK so I thought I’d share this one just for reference and maybe to enlighten prospective buyers about true running costs.

So I have now owned my 2.7 PDK 981 one whole year and I’ve documented everything in relation to what I’ve spent on it. I’ve made two spread sheets. One for essential spending and one for non essential.

So let’s deal with the essential first. A year that basically seen the car have a major service and new battery at a respected Indy. Four new N rated tyres and a four wheel alignment. Other essential items include things like Insurance, MOT, Tax and of course petrol. So with the car covering 5300 miles during its first year total running costs for me per mile worked out at 68p per mile.

It gets a lot more expensive when you do lots of unnecessary mods etc. My first year seen for example a full ceramic coating, GTS rear tail lights fitted. Retro fitting of PSE and the X73 kit at my OPC. Other things like Zunsport grills, Red seat belts and a few other things to make me happy and the costs escalate to £1:48 per mile.

So obviously the second year of ownership hopefully will be a little cheaper on the essential spending front as she’s not having a service, tyres or new battery for example which will of course bring the per mile costs down. As for the non essential costs well that should be MUCH  lower as I won’t be modding the car much more. Maybe the ducktail conversion but not much else. 👍 Oh maybe 20inch wheels instead of the 19inch to see if it makes much difference with the X73 fitted 😂👍

I thought I was the only geek to run a spreadsheet on car costs!!

Just looked at mine. Had the car since November 2015, fully OPC maintained, tracked 2-3 times a year and the cost/mile works out at 65p per mile (includes fuel but not insurance, MOT or tax). Quite happy with that, thought it would be a lot more.

• Like 1

I too have a spreadsheet, you've reminded me to add some things to it 🙂

Essential maintenance costs (exc. fuel, insurance, MoT, tax) comes out close to 50p per mile, which I expect will drop a little next year as first year included a clutch and major service.

Fuel is probably 23p-ish per mile.

Toys and other extras add about 10p - must try harder 😀

• Like 1

I find 'man maths' is the best function to apply to running cars like these.  Do you enjoy it and can you afford it?  If both are 'yes' then all is good.  I probably spent £1600 (DIY) on my 986 I didn't plan to last year but it hasn't left me regretting it or insolvent/penny pinching elsewhere but I did defer a planned job on the car (caliper repaint and overhaul plus some brake lines, all DIY) by a year which will cost me £300-400 (DIY) so net £1200 over.

@Ringmaster999 two bits of missing info to add as useful pointers, year of the car and the total mileage.

16 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I find 'man maths' is the best function to apply to running cars like these.  Do you enjoy it and can you afford it?  If both are 'yes' then all is good.  I probably spent £1600 (DIY) on my 986 I didn't plan to last year but it hasn't left me regretting it or insolvent/penny pinching elsewhere but I did defer a planned job on the car (caliper repaint and overhaul plus some brake lines, all DIY) by a year which will cost me £300-400 (DIY) so net £1200 over.

@Ringmaster999 two bits of missing info to add as useful pointers, year of the car and the total mileage.

I've said on various occasions, once I went on a ski trip and afterwards decided to add up all the costs.  It absolutely ruined the holiday for me. I have never done it again, and always operate on that "enjoy + afford" principle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I've said on various occasions, once I went on a ski trip and afterwards decided to add up all the costs.  It absolutely ruined the holiday for me. I have never done it again, and always operate on that "enjoy + afford" principle.

I'm with you on this...

54 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I've said on various occasions, once I went on a ski trip and afterwards decided to add up all the costs.  It absolutely ruined the holiday for me. I have never done it again, and always operate on that "enjoy + afford" principle

Yep I couldn’t agree more 👍

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

One year, I managed £6.5k on half a dozen long weekends at the Nurburgring.  Another, it worked out at close to £5k just at my local track.  :blush: 

If I hadn't spent it doing that, I would have only wasted it so I wasn't bothered. :D  

• Like 1