Spraying centre console

Goody1664

Good evening everyone, I’m a recent newbie with a 2004 986 in arctic silver with metropole blue Interior. I’m exploring options to spray the centre console silver, and would like to know if anyone has recommendations for what paint to use? Would a standard can of Arctic silver paint suffice, or would i need specific vinyl spray?

There are a couple of You Tube vids on this.  There may even be a How To on here if you check out that section.  Main thing it getting off the slightly rubbery finish that Porsche in their wisdom applied to the interior but that marks up so easily.  From what I recall the tips as use the right primer too then ordinary car paint buuilt up in several light coats, (first one hardly a dusting) and lacquer it too.

11 hours ago, Goody1664 said:

Good evening everyone, I’m a recent newbie with a 2004 986 in arctic silver with metropole blue Interior. I’m exploring options to spray the centre console silver, and would like to know if anyone has recommendations for what paint to use? Would a standard can of Arctic silver paint suffice, or would i need specific vinyl spray?

If the 986 is anything like the 987 then the most important thing, as suggested above, is to completely remove the rubberised coating. I used acetone based nail varnish remover (cheap from Boits/Superdrug) and Scotch type pads worked best. Do a search for centre console and you'll find my posts and others. I used a high build primer to cater for any remaining minor abrasions, standard base coat then I went for Satin Lacquer as i didn't want a high shine. Some good videos on Youtube including this one 

He also has another one about painting interior plastics on his Customspraymods channel.

Seeing as you're in Devon you could come and join the Exmoor & Dartmorr run next weekend if you want to see how mine turned out.

Thanks Red, very useful information. Noted regarding removing the rubberised surface- clearly it’s all in the prep. For the standard base coat did you use the same colour code as the car (in my case Arctic silver)? 

1 hour ago, Goody1664 said:

Thanks Red, very useful information. Noted regarding removing the rubberised surface- clearly it’s all in the prep. For the standard base coat did you use the same colour code as the car (in my case Arctic silver)? 

Yes, did mine in Atlas Grey.

36 minutes ago, Goody1664 said:

Have you thought about spraying the door pocket covers? 

And think about doing the mouldings in front of the door release handles, all the same rubberised finish.

I had a guards red car and really don't like those consoles done that colour so I did mine silver and I liked it. Personally I think a silver car can get away with a silver console, red or yellow with a matching console, definitely no, blue maybe. Your car, your choice.

9 minutes ago, Terryg said:

I had a guards red car and really don't like those consoles done that colour so I did mine silver and I liked it. Personally I think a silver car can get away with a silver console, red or yellow with a matching console, definitely no, blue maybe. Your car, your choice.

Silver was a factory option for the console (IXJB) along with leather, carbon and even dar burr maple!  On the S some of the interior detailing like door grab handles is sliver too so it should all tie in nicely.  As you say @Goody1664 spraying too much might be overkill, depends whether the rubberised surface is damaged though, might be an option to get rid of some shabby looking bits.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:31 PM, Goody1664 said:

Yeah, im just not sure if spraying them silver will be overkill? 

Do a search for 'centre console' and you should bring up a range of threads, some of which also have pics of other parts which have been colour coded. I think @detail1 did his console in silver and maybe some other bits - you could look for his thread.

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Silver was a factory option for the console (IXJB) along with leather, carbon and even dar burr maple!  On the S some of the interior detailing like door grab handles is sliver too so it should all tie in nicely.  As you say @Goody1664 spraying too much might be overkill, depends whether the rubberised surface is damaged though, might be an option to get rid of some shabby looking bits.

Yep mine had a lot of silver detail, just not the centre console.

1 hour ago, Christopher2110 said:

Did my console in my 03 Arctic Silver and the extra bits around the head unit. Used my brothers Anniversary 986 as inspiration 

also did the hooks on the back of the seats, not that you can see much behind the belt catchers 

Hmmm now you've got me thinking.  A lot of prep but does look good.

9 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

Did my console in my 03 Arctic Silver and the extra bits around the head unit. Used my brothers Anniversary 986 as inspiration 

vorpdaE.jpg
UdAfjTV.jpghuUVMsL.jpg

also did the hooks on the back of the seats, not that you can see much behind the belt catchers 

NYrHFH4.jpg

Looks good bro

Thanks @the baron- yes i got my centre console painted in viola metallic to match the body colour and have been really pleased with it. I had a good guy prep and spray it near Swindon for £120 all in.

BhTcTwF.jpg

11 hours ago, Rav said:

Thanks @the baron- yes i got my centre console painted in viola metallic to match the body colour and have been really pleased with it. I had a good guy prep and spray it near Swindon for £120 all in.

BhTcTwF.jpg

Interesting. I've been hesitant about doing mine (Artic Silver) as to whether to do the ash tray delete storage like factory or not like yours. But actually I think it might look OK left in black like yours.  I feel a winter project coming on!

1 hour ago, Bradders59 said:

Is the ashtray delete a part to be sourced from OPC ? I currently have the worst of both worlds. It hasnt been deleted but the ashtray is missing. 

Yes, 996 552 096 01 A03 about £45 - £50 IIRC when I got mine 2 years ago.  

• Like 1