Remap

Elmer Fudd

design 911 do some self-maps.  If it's a 2.7 986 i can't really see how much gain can be sought from the engine with a remap to be honest but I'm not an expert.  

Maybe see if Mark Sheed can advise you, he's on here occasionally and is an expert!

Have you done much work to free up the airflow?  That's the usual place to start to get bp gains, throttle body, airbox along with a free flowing exhaust.

9 minutes ago, mike597 said:

design 911 do some self-maps.  If it's a 2.7 986 i can't really see how much gain can be sought from the engine with a remap to be honest but I'm not an expert.  

Maybe see if Mark Sheed can advise you, he's on here occasionally and is an expert!

Have you done much work to free up the airflow?  That's the usual place to start to get bp gains, throttle body, airbox along with a free flowing exhaust.

Yeah, it's got a full s/s sports exhaust system, 74mm throttle body and plenum, with a K&N air filter

6 minutes ago, Elmer Fudd said:

Yeah, it's got a full s/s sports exhaust system, 74mm throttle body and plenum, with a K&N air filter

Remap is the next step. The thing to do is find someone with a track record - which is why you asked the question. 

Having been through this loop albeit on a 3.2 I’d suggest being prepared to travel. 

Wayne Schofield @ Chipwizards is very well regarded in Flat6 circles. He did the very nice ECU tune on my 3.6 SC before I got it but I’ve never used him myself. 

Would be worth giving him a call. 

The guy that did the remap on my 3.2 only works as a contractor to the Indy/Motorsport sector and I was never able to find out his name or locate him. Which is a shame because that map was epic. 

• Thanks 1

A few guys have used Sanspeed for a custom Dyno remap. I used Motorsport Developments but all the way up in Blackpool. If you haven't already done it I'd think about the sports cats before the map. 

If you are going all in and have the will power then also add the 987 airbox. 

What's the plenum? Is it one of the US ones?

I have got a 987 airbox, just not sure I wanna mess about fitting it 😄 the intake kit is designed to work with the OE one.

https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/product/porsche-986-carbon-fiber-intake-plenum/

Read about this guy on the 986forum (Ben), he designed it and tested it on his own 986, he's from France but it is made in the USA.

The design has changed slightly so as to accommodate the original AOS pipe, so you don't get the one shown, and I notice the price has gone up, I got mine for £417 all in and it arrived within two weeks 😁

7 hours ago, Elmer Fudd said:

Oh, and while I'm at it, anywhere that will fit my new vinyl rear window?

Assuming it is a vinyl window, get in touch with @gary hubbard at Hubbard Upholstery for your rear window. a bit of a trek from Norfolk to Loughborough but he does good work, takes him about 2 hours if you don't chat too much.  Cost is mid £200s

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Boxsum said:

Has all this been done to a 2.7?

P.S If it’s not done already don’t forget to wrap your power steering pipe near the manifold 👍

Yeah it's a 2.7, the complete exhaust was rotten so changed it for a s/s one, then kinda got carried away 😂

Not overly bothered about top end BHP, just looking for a bit better mid range, and a growl is always pleasing  😁

Good call on the power steering pipe, I'll do that today 😉👍

10 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

Definitely! I think a few have been melted before when manifolds have been changed👍
I hope you do get on the dyno, it will be really interesting to see the results. 
Looks great 👍 

Thanks, booked in for a custom map with Sanspeed on the 31st

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I drove down to Bexley heath to Sanspeed to have my remap done 😁 A few hours later Martin came out and said "That went better than expected! With just the bolt- ons  you did that brought the BHP up to 244 and now after the remap it's 260! Not bad for a 2.7 boxster"

So as you can imagine I'm rather pleased 😁 Here's the graph .......

MIj0Ujb.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Elmer Fudd said:

Ok, so I drove down to Bexley heath to Sanspeed to have my remap done 😁 A few hours later Martin came out and said "That went better than expected! With just the bolt- ons  you did that brought the BHP up to 244 and now after the remap it's 260! Not bad for a 2.7 boxster"

MIj0Ujb.jpg

That’s fantastic results! 👍
Was that stock air filter too? 

Edited by Boxsum
  • Like 1

That's a useful torque step up too from 4000 with a handy bit around 2000 to 2500 for those quick junction pull outs.  As an 'S' owner, other than a 6 speed box, who needs an S?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elmer Fudd said:

MIj0Ujb.jpg

What a great result - really pleased for you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

We usually say it’s not the peak numbers that matter, it’s delivery across the range. 

Yeah, that's what I was hoping for, as I've said previously I wanted improved mid range and wasn't particularly bothered about top BHP, I think I've got that and improvement lower down as well. Not everyone will think it was worth it and maybe they're right, but I'm happy and for me that's all that counts 😁