Handbrake shoes advice - did they send me the wrong ones?

joeluth

I think I've got the wrong ones here,  or will they work?

I bought these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233643978604     

advert / eBay said good for boxster 986 2.7 but now that I have them here there's no mention of my car on the box, only variants of the 911, they also appear to be a different shape.

Kwf6il0.jpg

New ones:  

WW3gcVD.jpg

However the current ones on the car look like these below - 

one side has a thinner tapered end where it meets the adjuster screw.  I guess I'll return them  unless anyone knows better?

Cheers!

98635299501_2_C8A67321-0025-4D8A-92B328B

They will fit 944, 968, 964, 968, 928, 996, 987, 997, 981, 991 my point about the label was how they picked a 993 targa, and a 911 convertible?

Edited by T911UK

I've always been a little puzzled about why hand brake shoes actually need replacing?

As friction lining wear can only happen when the shoes are pressed up against a moving surface, how do they wear out when they're just pressing against a stationary surface on a stationary car.

Unless you do a lot of hand brake turns, that is .....

16 minutes ago, CRC said:

I've always been a little puzzled about why hand brake shoes actually need replacing?

As friction lining wear can only happen when the shoes are pressed up against a moving surface, how do they wear out when they're just pressing against a stationary surface on a stationary car.

I thought it was most commonly due to corrosion rather than wear

23 minutes ago, CRC said:

In my case the original fiction material totally disintergrated and delaminated from the metal shoe.

46962615522_cf3540e4a7_b.jpg

46962614712_3557830f8e_c.jpg

All pretty again...

46290466424_cf3a96524b_c.jpg

Edited by Skidd
  • Like 1

Ah, so corrosion is the culprit rather than loss of friction material.

Makes my wife's 18 year old Honda Jazz rear shoes that have done 107,000 miles of actual braking duty seem quite good then ......

I think the issue is that the friction material binds through minor surface corrosion and over time this cracking off weakens the material until the last time and it falls apart. 

2 hours ago, Skidd said:

In my case the original fiction material totally disintergrated and delaminated from the metal shoe.

46962615522_cf3540e4a7_b.jpg

46962614712_3557830f8e_c.jpg

All pretty again...

46290466424_cf3a96524b_c.jpg

I'm curious about your new stone guards. They look different to mine where they bolt on. They look absolutely fab. What year is your Boxster please?

3 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

I'm curious about your new stone guards. They look different to mine where they bolt on. They look absolutely fab. What year is your Boxster please?

2005 987.  I just replaced the original part, like for like.

4 hours ago, edc said:

I think the issue is that the friction material binds through minor surface corrosion and over time this cracking off weakens the material until the last time and it falls apart. 

Exactly.  I was driving when one of the shoes on mine failed.  You get a loud grinding noise as it gets chewed up inside the rear disc.  Noteworthy point is that it happened straight after the car has been stood for a few days, and the shoes were corroded onto the disc.  Forcing it free when pulling away pushed it over the edge.  Failed about 10miles later.

Fotunately I needed to do the rear discs\pads anyway.

Takeaway point is that leaving the car chocked, and not with handbrake on if left for an extended period is the way forward.

Edited by Skidd