European speed limiters incoming July 2022???

martyn

Starting to read in the press about a new European law (which apparently we are adopting) that all new cars supplied after July 2022 must have speed limiting technology fitted….

Apparently these will be monitoring driving, and using GPS and street signage will moderate your speed to the limits specified, only allowing temporary speeding to satisfy safety reasons if for example you need to accelerate to overtake another vehicle in an emergency.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this new technology, and will it be switchable? If this is true I could see an insurance get out, if it was found that prior to an accident your limiter was turned off!      A Can of worms??

I have ordered a new 4.0 718 for delivery September 2022, this has me doubting the wisdom of this order as our cars are bought to be driven progressively when safe to do so, and this could impact resale values…

Ideas??

Discuss.

Edited by martyn

Calm down dear?

https://etsc.eu/intelligent-speed-assistance-set-for-launch-on-all-new-eu-vehicle-types-from-2022/ 

"The requirements allow for several different types of ISA system to be fitted.  By law, every type of system must be overridable, and allow the driver to switch the system off for the duration of the current journey."

You can switch it off when you want to hoon, or leave it on when you don't want to get a fine unexpectedly.

All part of moving towards semi-autonomous driving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Calm down dear?

https://etsc.eu/intelligent-speed-assistance-set-for-launch-on-all-new-eu-vehicle-types-from-2022/ 

"The requirements allow for several different types of ISA system to be fitted.  By law, every type of system must be overridable, and allow the driver to switch the system off for the duration of the current journey."

You can switch it off when you want to hoon, or leave it on when you don't want to get a fine unexpectedly.

All sounds quite reasonable and how I've used my speed limiter in recent years anyway...

Martyn, I'm actually jealous as hell if you are getting a 4.0 Boxster!

Think of this as the same shock as when Gatsos came out. I'm sure everyone was up in arms then about how they wouldn't be able to go and have fun.

I really don't think this will be much different - in fact better, as we don't get the option to switch the Gatsos off...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, martyn said:

Apparently these will be monitoring driving, and using GPS and street signage will moderate your speed to the limits specified, only allowing temporary speeding to satisfy safety reasons if for example you need to accelerate to overtake another vehicle in an emergency.

Is trying to elude a nutter that intends to ruin your day chasing you in their car making all sorts of whining whooping noises and flashing their blue lights at you classified as a safety reason.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Carmine said:

what does this have to do with 981s?

Ah, that’s my current car, no problem with that, only they are also discussing retro fitting the technology from 2024. I Am more concerned with my upcoming new Boxster in September 2022.

23 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Calm down dear?

Phew, that’s cheered me up no end! I grew a few extra Grey hairs reading the press last night.

My daily has a version of this, it reads roadsigns, sometimes, and you can tell the car to limit its speed to its reading of the roadsigns if you want 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it sees a 50 sign on a side road to a 70 dual carriageway and panics because it thinks I am speeding, it reads some overhead signs, but misses the "end" word - so carries on thinking its 40 or whatever for a while.

As an aid - it's OK - but it's not as good as some I have seen, perhaps if it was supplemented with an accurate mapping of speed limits to GPS location, with proper, consistent, realtime data of temporary limits then there is a use case, so interested to see how effective the compulsory systems are ( and how cheaply the manufacturers can implement something that fits the rules).

Mandating it as a feature is a way of making the tech better/cheaper - of course - eventually they will make it more difficult to ignore/disable.

51 minutes ago, Carmine said:

And pigs will fly in 2025? They’ll get every manufacturer to design and test systems that can be retrofitted? NFL. 

I Hope you’re correct,🙏 Though perhaps  by ‘discussing’ read ‘investigations’ into a standardised component which fits all/most models. Though probably would be uneconomical for cheaper cars. So another plus, less cars on the road.

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

My daily has a version of this, it reads roadsigns, sometimes, and you can tell the car to limit its speed to its reading of the roadsigns if you want 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it sees a 50 sign on a side road to a 70 dual carriageway and panics because it thinks I am speeding, it reads some overhead signs, but misses the "end" word - so carries on thinking its 40 or whatever for a while.

As an aid - it's OK - but it's not as good as some I have seen, perhaps if it was supplemented with an accurate mapping of speed limits to GPS location, with proper, consistent, realtime data of temporary limits then there is a use case, so interested to see how effective the compulsory systems are ( and how cheaply the manufacturers can implement something that fits the rules).

Mandating it as a feature is a way of making the tech better/cheaper - of course - eventually they will make it more difficult to ignore/disable.

I get this in my car as well sometimes. It uses Google maps to monitor my speed against the GPS location to get the speed limit and if I exceeded I get a right ear full of abuse. But the wife does not always come out with me all the time so I get some fun now and again. 

1 hour ago, Little Urchin said:

I've also read there will be a requirement for manufacturers to fit "Black boxes" that will be available for accident investigation. 

You can read anything you want on the web.

Black boxes have been encouraged by insurance companies for several years already.  Money talks - you want to pay 500 or 2000 a year for your insurance? It's totally your choice :) 

Remember when people said stability control aids were taking the fun out of driving?  Now all cars have them, and they've saved a lot of lives as a result.  And you can still turn them off if you want, though most people who think they could handle it actually can't :D 

Given the margin of error built into car speedometers, I hope the system will operate to enforce true speed, not the speed indicated on the speedo. In my Honda an indicated 75pmh correlates to 70 on the satnav and the margin increases the faster you go.

6 hours ago, Paul P said:

I think that's a great idea, the amount of times I've moaned at the dashboard when the car has got the speed limit detected and a speed limiter that you have to manually set the speed at.  Gets right on my chest when the same data is in the same computer and they haven't thought to add a bit in the program to link the two... it's a no-brainer.

I'd be happy to have that on a car for those moments when I've crept up to 39 in a 30.  They are chucking in 20mph limits here and there now, makes it feel like you can get out and walk in a modern waft-wagen.

9 hours ago, Carmine said:

And pigs will fly in 2025?

8 hours ago, martyn said:

I Hope you’re correct,🙏 

I hope not.  Seagulls make a right old mess of your paintwork.  Imagine pigs vacuating their bowels at 200ft. :o 

• Haha 1