18" Track Tyres

Lennym1984

could give some of these a go...

https://tirestreets.co.uk/products/accelera-651-sport?variant=31649671905365

i used to like federal 595 RSRs, but they seem to have stopped making them. Nankang NS2Rs are also quite popular, but possibly not quite the size you're looking for.

2 hours ago, brillomaster said:

i used to like federal 595 RSRs, but they seem to have stopped making them. Nankang NS2Rs are also quite popular, but possibly not quite the size you're looking for.

They don't do the correct rear profile. The 595s were going to be my choice but as you say, it looks like they are no longer made

2 hours ago, brillomaster said:

They don't do the correct rear profile. The 595s were going to be my choice but as you say, it looks like they are no longer made

• 2 weeks later...

I run a set of 18" Toyo R888's on my Boxcart. Probably the best tyre you can get, grip really is awesome, (and I hate using that word!).

I had the NS2R on my MX5 for a while. Great tyre once they have a bit of heat in them which didn't take much tbh, grip like hell, very confidence inspiring especially on fast road.

BUT, I wouldn't recommend them for driving around normally on. They are very noisy when cruising, useless when cold and useless when rain gets involved. If you have a spare set of wheels and only use them for the track and the journey there and back go for it, if not i'd look elsewhere. I only have just shy of 200bhp and i could easily light these up when cold. 

Edited by That986

2 hours ago, phazed said:

I run a set of 18" Toyo R888's on my Boxcart. Probably the best tyre you can get, grip really is awesome, (and I hate using that word!).

huge or outstanding...

3 hours ago, phazed said:

DId you manage to get the correct rear size? 265/40/18? The issue with things like NS2Rs (and the equivalent) is that they only do a 265/35.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:15 AM, Lennym1984 said:

DId you manage to get the correct rear size? 265/40/18? The issue with things like NS2Rs (and the equivalent) is that they only do a 265/35.

Can't honestly remember. Will check tomorrow.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:40 AM, david_yorkshire said:

Cup2;

used Toyo 888's on a 996 GT3, also good, but noisy, and not that good in wet weather

Several guys I know use the R888 as a wet tyre in racing, (Tuscan challenge cars etc). Quite good compared to slicks!

No, 265/35/18" Slightly smaller in Diameter but to be honest, didn't notice any difference.

Let's face it, when hammering around a track, a couple of mph in each gear is immaterial!

3 hours ago, phazed said:

No, 265/35/18" Slightly smaller in Diameter but to be honest, didn't notice any difference.

Let's face it, when hammering around a track, a couple of mph in each gear is immaterial!

Have you kept the fronts at a 40 profile? I'm not bothered about the gearing but had heard that it could upset the traction control (even if you turn it off). It sounds unlikely to me but you never know

40 profile front. No issues with TC at all.

Did Cadwell with traction switched on. Cadwell is a fairly fast track and I never noticed the TC kick in at all.

Give Triple 8's their due, they didn't miss a beat and hung on like the proverbial poo to a blanket, most impressed!

I have used Triple 8's for years on TVR's but never had such a secure and controlled feeling as when fitted to the Boxster. That must tell you something :)