Tyres apparently unavailable

McDonald

My Boxster has 365/35/19 rear wheels. I'd like to buy CrossClimate tyres for the winter months. Does anyone make them in that size?

I've read some reviews. Continental come out on top, Michelin come 2nd. No use to me if they don't manufacture them in my size.

Has anyone succeeded where I'm failing?

I know that ports are blocked because we're short of HGV drivers etc. But I'm not even sure that the tyres I need are being made. Any clues welcome.

10 minutes ago, McDonald said:

My Boxster has 365/35/19 rear wheels. I'd like to buy CrossClimate tyres for the winter months. Does anyone make them in that size?

I've read some reviews. Continental come out on top, Michelin come 2nd. No use to me if they don't manufacture them in my size.

Has anyone succeeded where I'm failing?

I know that ports are blocked because we're short of HGV drivers etc. But I'm not even sure that the tyres I need are being made. Any clues welcome.

Check you Driver's Manual for alternative Winter tyre sizes.

• Like 1

As above.  I know the recommended winter tyre size is different to summer tyre size on my 987.2... it's summarised on the label inside my drivers door.

Also I think you mean 265/35/19... 🤔

Edited by rowbos

23 minutes ago, rowbos said:

As above.  I know the recommended winter tyre size is different to summer tyre size on my 987.2... it's summarised on the label inside my drivers door.

Also I think you mean 265/35/19... 🤔

Quite right. I'm going number blind.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Check you Driver's Manual for alternative Winter tyre sizes.

Good advice, now followed. But it raises a new question. While 19inch rims are an option for summer tyres, only 18 inch rims are an option for winter tyres.

It seems to suggest that the 19inch Lobster Claws I've just bought as winter wheels aren't suitable for the purpose.

It would appear that anyone buying their car with 19inch rims would always need a second set of wheels in size 18 if they ever intended to fit winter tyres.

All weather tyres don't get a mention. 

I remain uncertain on how to go forward.

2 hours ago, McDonald said:

Good advice, now followed. But it raises a new question. While 19inch rims are an option for summer tyres, only 18 inch rims are an option for winter tyres.

It seems to suggest that the 19inch Lobster Claws I've just bought as winter wheels aren't suitable for the purpose.

It would appear that anyone buying their car with 19inch rims would always need a second set of wheels in size 18 if they ever intended to fit winter tyres.

Is there a 40 profile 245?

3 hours ago, McDonald said:

I used to keep a set of 18's to use for winter...

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Is there a 40 profile 245?

I've found 245/40/Y19 Michelin Cross Climate online with Kw?ikfit. Would these fit my rear wheels? 

You may have found a solution for me. I hadn't considered changing the dimensions. 

You can fit the same size winter tyre as a summer tyre but typically winter tyres are narrower, as narrow that can fit in the wheel safely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McDonald said:

If I buy the 245/40/19 for the rear'

Do I still need 235/35/19 for the front?

225/40/19 on front could be a bit better balanced on width and goes up a profile too from standard.  Both tyres increase the rolling radius compared to the standard 19" tyre sizes by 2.5% front and 1.5% rear so should be well within tolerance to avoid any system errors.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, McDonald said:

I've found 245/40/Y19 Michelin Cross Climate online with Kw?ikfit. Would these fit my rear wheels? 

You may have found a solution for me. I hadn't considered changing the dimensions. 

I'd say you'd have to drastically reduce the width of the tyre to get decent performance in winter conditions. Which would likely need new wheels too?

17 minutes ago, DaveEFI said:

I'd say you'd have to drastically reduce the width of the tyre to get decent performance in winter conditions. Which would likely need new wheels too?

Cross Climates the OP is considering are all season rather than strictly winter tyres.

2 hours ago, andy987 said:

The manual/sticker will state M/S tyre size, last time we bought some it was 255 instead of 265 for summers 

Suspect these are 18" as well...

5 hours ago, mike597 said:

I mentioned the size issue for Michelin earlier 

I think dropping to 255 on the rear will be fine. I assume you're not planning on taking the car across the Arctic tundra. 

No plans for extreme conditions & I live on the south coast. I do plan to drive the car year round. I'll use All seasons tyres November thru March, then back to Summer tyres.