How original are you?

Photogirl

Hmm, as long as it doesn't look like you're pretending to be something you're not (an S, or a car with PCCB), then non-OEM shades of yellow or red could work fine. Orange calipers on an orange car, hmn, yeah that works too!

An addition to my long rant above: if a 986 happens to be silver on red, then a set of 964 split rims, painted gold, would look VERY cool on it, like a rather smart tribute to the 1993 concept car. Cup 1 alloys are a good choice too. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

An addition to my long rant above: if a 986 happens to be silver on red, then a set of 964 split rims, painted gold, would look VERY cool on it, like a rather smart tribute to the 1993 concept car. Cup 1 alloys are a good choice too. 

I absolutely love the champagne-gold Porsche uses to salute the original 986. I thought of doing my calipers in the same soft pale gold, but felt that getting the colour right might be a nightmare.

My 986 is arctic silver with a factory custom metropol blue and pebble grey leather interior.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

I have red callipers on my S and I think, without checking, they were a factory option. .....

Red calipers is factory standard for the S.

• Like 1

I see Cotswold Porsche colour a few of non S version callipers red on customers 986’s. I wouldn’t of thought painting your callipers will plummet the value of your car and tbh I think you will have to wait a very very very long time for a 986 to ever be worth much, there are just too many even the finest examples are still usually less than a new fiesta. I would do what you like and just enjoy the car 👍

• Like 3

Im a little torn between originality and modification on my 986 S. still rocking the amber headlights and original 17" wheels, though have now fitted a definitely non standard exhaust - though i have kept the original should the next owner wish to swap it back. I also have a new hood with a glass rear screen, but i consider that more of an update than a modification.

other options i'm considering are spacers, track tyres, track brake pads and lowering springs... spacers and springs are reversible though.

9 hours ago, Boxsum said:

I see Cotswold Porsche colour a few of non S version callipers red on customers 986’s. I wouldn’t of thought painting your callipers will plummet the value of your car and tbh I think you will have to wait a very very very long time for a 986 to ever be worth much, there are just too many even the finest examples are still usually less than a new fiesta. I would do what you like and just enjoy the car 👍

My local Porsche used dealer does the calipers in red (and occasionally in yellow) on many of the non-S versions they acquire for sale - they say customers love it and the car becomes more appealing to buyers. They're not trying to make the car look like a different model, they're just adding a pop of Porsche colour. It was them who got me thinking about doing mine. 

• Like 2

Red S calipers can always be repainted again back to stock colour, this is trickier for the 2.5/2.7 due to the stock finish not being able to be replicated.

As others have said, wheels, spacers, even lowered springs are relatively reversible as they are 'bolt on' parts.  Body kits, spoilers or mods to original body panels not so much unless you have a lot of storage space to keep original parts.

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

FWIW...and using this forum (and I appreciate this next bit is very subjective) I don't use Porsche approved tyre's.......the technology has improved so much in this area since the late 1990's. 

What would be the point if the car is no longer under a warranty or is too old to have one?

The only determining factor is as the result of an insurance claim following an accident the insurance company try to wriggle out of paying out as the tyres were not N rated and the cause was you skidded off the road 🤣 I’m sure they would try it on! Maybe!!!

11 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

What would be the point if the car is no longer under a warranty or is too old to have one?

The only determining factor is as the result of an insurance claim following an accident the insurance company try to wriggle out of paying out as the tyres were not N rated and the cause was you skidded off the road 🤣 I’m sure they would try it on! Maybe!!!

I would think if your tyres are road legal they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on.

12 hours ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

Hmm, as long as it doesn't look like you're pretending to be something you're not (an S, or a car with PCCB).

I’ve never understood the logic of this argument. The only people who would know that yellow is a signifier of PCCB is Porsche obsessive who would immediately spot a non PCCB calliper, so I think it’s fairly safe to say that those who paint them yellow are doing so for aesthetic reasons rather than trying to fool people that they’ve put a £30k brake system on a £3K car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My car is original in every way - it’s a base 2.9 but was specced with 

paint calipers red

S&F Sports tailpipe

so looks as pretty as an S, but isn’t an S

oh and specced with 18” Boxster S II wheels

Edited by gillbe
Wheels

I am more of an OEM+ kind of guy.  I have done a fair few mods to my 986, but mainly retro fitting options out of the Porsche option bin.  No idea if its increased the value of the car, but I like it and It gives me something to tinker with/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sanky said:

I am more of an OEM+ kind of guy.  I have done a fair few mods to my 986, but mainly retro fitting options out of the Porsche option bin.  No idea if its increased the value of the car, but I like it and It gives me something to tinker with/

Sounds good to me. I think it's nice to have an 'original' car but with some touches which make it your own, and which don't deviate from the car's character or integrity. 

I've been to the odd Porsche event where people purse their lips if you have the wrong colour key fob. That's enough to make anybody want to rebel. 

• Haha 2

That's mainly me too. Swapped the wheels for other 987 wheels (personal taste), swapped the tailpipe for a Cayman R (personal taste), fitted a GT3 master cylinder (coz it wuz there - and don't regret for a second), swapped interior bulbs for LEDs for taste/practicality reasons. Toying with LED rear lights but so far it's too much money for sheer indulgence. Though as the others come under that heading, at 2k miles per year, what's stopping me. Can't be assed to change/upgrade the PCM as I never switch it on anyway.

Key fob, or key itself - yes that should be on my list as apparently a 987.2 key head doesn't accidentally get pressed in your pocket.

Mine is and will be mostly standard.  But 18" turbo twists, Red calipers and de-ambering the front lights are top of the list.

It already had a glass windowed roof fitted, de-ambered rear and side indicators.

I've filled the number plate holes on the front bumper so will be running it without a front plate once it gets painted. I'm not sure if the Boxster boot badge will go back on or if it does what colour it will be.

It came with an aftermarket stereo, that came straight out and at some point in the future I would like to put the original Porsche one back in.

Need some door cards too as mine have speaker holes in them.

Do what you want, especially if it's a keeper, some things on mine are standard others aren't like the Panamera 18" wheels, double din stereo system, and subtle body kit that came with the car when I bought it.

At the end of the day I'm not going to sell it, so I do what pleases me, and not others 😉😁

RBxuRUt.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

My point was in the title of this thread........;-)

And you missed my point, I was actually agreeing with you 😉

4 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

I would think if your tyres are road legal they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on.

You would bloody well hope so wouldn’t you !!!!!! 😁

22 hours ago, Photogirl said:

I think reversible mods are fine, you can change your mind when it suits you without consequences for the car. I've seen so many mods which would be very expensive or damaging to undo.

Agree about the mesh - I've got Zunsport grilles on mine, they just pop on and off and are vital in my opinion. I don't think mesh grilles are considered to be a modification, for that reason.

I have considered having the roll over hoops and centre console painted the same as the outer paint. As it's midnight blue, I don't think it will have as big an impact as say Guards Red. Maybe in the spring?!