How original are you?

Photogirl

Who cares what it originally came with? My car came with an amazing orange and black combination from the factory, the same factory that put big red brake calipers on it! I mean, orange and red dahling! It was simply ghastly, they had to go. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm loving all the answers and thoughts in this thread - really useful, great pictures, and also entertaining.   👍

I can feel a brake caliper fetish coming on, so don't be shy about revealing yours or admitting to what you secretly think about. 

@Menoporsche - no way could I live with an orange body and red calipers, gasp. Your orange calipers look superb.

• 1 year later...
On 10/20/2021 at 10:11 PM, Ol' Shatterhand said:

Hmm, as long as it doesn't look like you're pretending to be something you're not (an S, or a car with PCCB), then non-OEM shades of yellow or red could work fine. Orange calipers on an orange car, hmn, yeah that works too!

An addition to my long rant above: if a 986 happens to be silver on red, then a set of 964 split rims, painted gold, would look VERY cool on it, like a rather smart tribute to the 1993 concept car. Cup 1 alloys are a good choice too. 

IMG-2563.jpg

IMG-2912.jpg

IMG-1899.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about that, good luck. 

Back to the original question, does it occur to you that the person concerned about originality is driving round with a bloody great Zeintop on?!

And as for the concerns about yellow calipers; Porsche only introduced them on the 996 turbo AIUI, so you’d be “pretending” to be something that never existed anyway. 

Methinks you have more deserving things to worry about :)  And your new calipers look really nice 👍 

The reason I've been kicked off a couple of Facebook Porsche groups was down to my interactions with said Porsche owners who look down their nose at others for daring to do something different to their cars. 

Those who think that every decision in the R&D process to make our cars was to get the max performance and handling that money can buy.

These people fail to realise there are budgets also at play here or sound limits they don't want to exceed for the general masses for example.

Just because I did the desnorkel mod I had some real patronising comments that I countered them and duely got banned. 

Birds of a feather stick together and hence why I've found my flock here on BoXa.net.

Best bang for buck replacement for OEM parts and mods that suit my personal preferences rather than to appeal to others approval. 

My main gripe over any marquee car modifications is to modify a base car to look like the top model but again... horses for courses. All power to them, just not my bag. 

As for the OP's calipers, the black looks great but deffo should have been brave and gone for yellow. 😉 j/k

Edited by fizz
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, fizz said:

The reason I've been kicked off a couple of Facebook Porsche groups was down to my interactions with said Porsche owners who look down their nose at others for daring to do something different to their cars. 

Those who think that every decision in the R&D process to make our cars was to get the max performance and handling that money can buy.

These people fail to realise there are budgets also at play here or sound limits they don't want to exceed for the general masses for example.

Just because I did the desnorkel mod I had some real patronising comments that I countered them and dually got banned. 

Birds of a feather stick together and hence why I've found my flock here on BoXa.net.

Best bang for buck replacement for OEM parts and mods that suit my personal preferences rather than to appeal to others approval. 

My main gripe over any marquee car modifications is to modify a base car to look like the top model but again... horses for courses. All power to them, just not my bag. 

As for the OP's calipers, the black looks great but deffo should have been brave and gone for yellow. 😉 j/k

Lol - i've had a few of those comments on the 987 Boxster UK page because I posted about de-snorkeling mine. People asking if i know better than Porsche Engineers - i just replied "yes"  :P

12 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Lol - i've had a few of those comments on the 987 Boxster UK page because I posted about de-snorkeling mine. People asking if i know better than Porsche Engineers - i just replied "yes"  :P

Complete tw*ts... seriously they cant see that its only function is to quieten the intake sound! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Ask how many of those purists buy a 9x6 and refit the original IMS bearing…

Its all about originality don't you know.  However each to their own, and live and let live.  Sounds like the BoXa philosophy to me.  Some people mod, some improve and some seek originality, others a budget friendly solution.

But it's also my flippant way of highlighting that those people who worship the "Porsche engineers must always know best" need to realise they are not always right. [And they were so good with cylinder liners too weren't they?] And we haven't even got to the fact that the IMS was apparently an engineering hangover from a previous engine design, IIRC - see how the 9A1 engines don't have one any more.  As above, it's not only the engineers but the people controlling the budget, and they will have axed several improvements to cut costs without us ever knowing.

21 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

it's not only the engineers but the people controlling the budget, and they will have axed several improvements to cut costs without us ever knowing.

All across business, the accountants have taken over the asylum.

The 986 has so much scope for improvement, I had a lot of fun modifying mine without it straying too far from original in terms of appearance and as I have said on here a few times, I would have it back in a heartbeat. I had no trouble selling it either.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fizz said:

The reason I've been kicked off a couple of Facebook Porsche groups was down to my interactions with said Porsche owners who look down their nose at others

Case in point this morning as I have setup a lovely event to share for our Porsche 75th anniversary...

dR1JBCS.jpg

I suffer fools less the older I get. :shutup: