Fault code

tcornet

Just had the following fault show up (according to the wife )

Engine control fault

Consult a garage - Driving permitted

From what I’ve read it doesn’t sound at all bad and likely to be a o2 sensor or something, which could be easily solved with clearing the fault code reader.

Any recommendations of a fault code reader welcome? 

There’s a couple of Carsoft units on the for sale section, you could see if they are still available.

there’s this v1 version

or this Version two unit

Or maybe one of the really cheap odb2 readers will do the job?   Like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2021-ELM327-HH-ODB-ODB2-Torque-PRO-Bluetooth-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-/185059121489?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Alternatively maybe a really cheap unit will do the job:  

• Thanks 1

Really cheap units will read generic Powertrsin (P) codes.  If the check engine light is on then they can turn it off.  But if it’s a Porsche specific code they likely will likely have no clue  

they won’t be able to handle anything Porsche specific so if you the check engine light isn’t on then I would spent s bit more for something with Porsche smarts.  

also. Whilst it’s often a transitive or spoof error it may be that there is a real problem and no amount of turning it off eill make it go away forever.  In that case actually having some info behind the error will help with the fix. 

RU getting any more detail on the problem in the warning msge?  Mine threw a fault recently for a failed engine mount - this showed as a warning message but with an indication of the actual problem…….

Edited by noggieboxa

11 hours ago, Paul P said:

Really cheap units will read generic Powertrsin (P) codes.  If the check engine light is on then they can turn it off.  But if it’s a Porsche specific code they likely will likely have no clue  

they won’t be able to handle anything Porsche specific so if you the check engine light isn’t on then I would spent s bit more for something with Porsche smarts.  

also. Whilst it’s often a transitive or spoof error it may be that there is a real problem and no amount of turning it off eill make it go away forever.  In that case actually having some info behind the error will help with the fix. 

Thanks, it could be just down to the sports cats, I will get it checked out by rpm also

10 hours ago, noggieboxa said:

RU getting any more detail on the problem in the warning msge?  Mine threw a fault recently for a failed engine mount - this showed as a warning message but with an indication of the actual problem…….

Nope nothing more. I’m not overly worried that’s for sure 

On 10/23/2021 at 9:24 PM, Greenman said:

There’s a couple of Carsoft units on the for sale section, you could see if they are still available.

there’s this v1 version

or this Version two unit

Or maybe one of the really cheap odb2 readers will do the job?   Like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2021-ELM327-HH-ODB-ODB2-Torque-PRO-Bluetooth-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-/185059121489?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Alternatively maybe a really cheap unit will do the job:  

How "lucky" are people with getting this to work?  I bought one to try and resolve an issue where the car kept saying "Service now", even though it was way ahead of schedule and the message re-appeared the day after it had a full service at the OPC.

The OPC could only get it to remember it had been serviced after they had it back for a day to renew the software.

I bought the V2 of above as I thought it might be handy but it didn't let me set the date of the service.  Guess it was too much of an ask for it but reading the blurb it sounds like it's the sort of thing it should be capable of.  As Porsche couldn't fix it without the full re-install I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt and keep hold of it, could be handy in the future maybe...  if anyone needs to borrow it in the Medway towns/Kent area let me know 👍

Got me one of these:

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_DURAENTH.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwq9mLBhB2EiwAuYdMtfJfB3shgP4x_W_ZBpoT8JjRHipd9yDdcegaCckPfGCgylKKizxjlhoC4nkQAvD_BwE

Unlike most others , this also does airbag lights.

It's limited to three VINs, although I believe this can be extended or upgraded to the pro version (unlimited)

On 10/25/2021 at 9:39 AM, moospeed said:

How "lucky" are people with getting this to work?  I bought one to try and resolve an issue where the car kept saying "Service now", even though it was way ahead of schedule and the message re-appeared the day after it had a full service at the OPC.

The OPC could only get it to remember it had been serviced after they had it back for a day to renew the software.

I bought the V2 of above as I thought it might be handy but it didn't let me set the date of the service.  Guess it was too much of an ask for it but reading the blurb it sounds like it's the sort of thing it should be capable of.  As Porsche couldn't fix it without the full re-install I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt and keep hold of it, could be handy in the future maybe...  if anyone needs to borrow it in the Medway towns/Kent area let me know 👍

I suspect the "reload" software was actually this tech bulletin...... http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/Porsche_Boxster-Cayman-911_981-991_WE02_201404.pdf

Wondering if some of the 3rd party units out there have (or had) an issue where in the attempt to reset the service interval they "wrote" the service interval instead, or if there is an issue in the instrument cluster software  - I have read of a few cases of the 981s  having the same problem and it seems OPC voodoo magic is required to resolve.

I know on the 987 there are "simpler" settings and i have seen where one had been told it should have a service every 12 months - I would imagine easy for the wrong tool ( not in the opc case ) ( or the right tool in the wrong hands ) to change "how often to ask for a service" instead of "I have just had a service".

On 10/25/2021 at 9:39 AM, moospeed said:

Couple of 981s, mine included, have been in at Zuffenhaus for the same problem regarding the service warning. Renewing the software fixed it, what a pain though!

23 hours ago, Paul P said:

I suspect the "reload" software was actually this tech bulletin...... http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/Porsche_Boxster-Cayman-911_981-991_WE02_201404.pdf

Wondering if some of the 3rd party units out there have (or had) an issue where in the attempt to reset the service interval they "wrote" the service interval instead, or if there is an issue in the instrument cluster software  - I have read of a few cases of the 981s  having the same problem and it seems OPC voodoo magic is required to resolve.

I know on the 987 there are "simpler" settings and i have seen where one had been told it should have a service every 12 months - I would imagine easy for the wrong tool ( not in the opc case ) ( or the right tool in the wrong hands ) to change "how often to ask for a service" instead of "I have just had a service".

Could be, the description sounded the same though they weren't able to do it first time round.  They had to order in a disc from Germany and it (allegedly) took 6 hours, I'd have waited if it was only 20-30 mins but they had it all day.

14 minutes ago, moospeed said:

Could be, the description sounded the same though they weren't able to do it first time round.  They had to order in a disc from Germany and it (allegedly) took 6 hours, I'd have waited if it was only 20-30 mins but they had it all day.

Blimey.  Wonder what actually got updated in the case.  Voodoo.   

• 5 weeks later...

A quick update, just got home from being away for work. 
The fault code has disappeared with nothing in the messages page. It’s going in for a MoT and service at RPM next month so will have them check it out. The car drives totally fine.