Car covers (soft top covering).

Cocky

Does anyone have any experience with soft top coverings such as this - 

https://www.ukcustomcovers.com/porsche-boxster-987-tailored-half-cover-black-2005-2012 

If this goes over a damp roof would I end up with mould growth or something? I am in a pickle as I have a garage for the car but I've filled it with work materials (a shop frontal & 4 UPVC doors for a job. And starting to think my car will be out all winter and spring. 

I had one for my Z4 back in the day. They work, but because they are waterproof they will lock in moisture if you put it on a wet roof.

They do stop bird poo, tree sap, UV damage and other organics getting on the roof and into the drains which is good. 

When I put it on when the car was wet, I took the first opportunity to remove it and let the roof an cover dry out however.

I haven't bought one for the Boxster as I am lucky to garage it

• Thanks 1

Had one and wasn't impressed. The Velcro stopped catching after few years and the stiches also started to split, but the worst is that the cover left marks on the door. I think that a full cover is better although sometime a royal pain to remove and recover.

On 11/14/2021 at 10:16 PM, ½cwt said:

Check out the Cabrio Shield Premium.  Good feedback on here from others as well as myself.

This or a breathable full cover. I opted for a full cover 3.5 years ago and no problems so far. key is to clean the car thoroughly before covering. Don't over tighten the straps and take it off in really windy weather. 

once this full cover wears, I will probably go for the cabrio shield premium. 

Edited by Pinewood

I think the cabrio shield premium would be your best bet, good reviews and it should stop the stains and hopefully the mildew. 
Good advice to take it off on brighter days and air it out and if you need to put it on and the roof is still damp maybe blot it a bit with a microfibre to try dry it a bit 👍

What's your concern with leaving it out over winter? Is your only parking under a tree and sap is a worry?

If it's open space, not under a tree then a year or two outside is nothing. Had mine outside for a couple of winters with no cover but I have no trees overhead.

15 hours ago, CMA said:

What's your concern with leaving it out over winter? Is your only parking under a tree and sap is a worry?

If it's open space, not under a tree then a year or two outside is nothing. Had mine outside for a couple of winters with no cover but I have no trees overhead.

It's getting washed and used more than my 986 was over the last winter due to covid and such and I am able to park it away from the trees a little more than before. So I did wonder if a cover would now gain me a lot. Because it's right up in the countryside you just get ducks, birds, alsorts #2ing on it as well as the wind which just cakes it full of leaves and little mini balls that fall from the trees. 

I think I live with washing it more or I take Pinewoods advice on a full cover. 

I should be next spring/Summer into a garage purely for this car.