Omg IMS news I didn't want to hear.

Tonybandit

OK so after a lot of thought I decided to get my clutch done and while at it have the IMS changed. It had a small judder on set off but nothing that I was really worried about. So I chose Revolution Porsche in Leeds to do it and after a call it was booked in. 

Today I dropped off my car and walked away and went back to work. While sat at my desk my phone rang and the lovely lady at Revolution told me I would need a new flywheel, OK I said and proceeded to put the phone down. After a few more hours of daydreaming sorry WORKING! I got a call from a gentleman from Revolution and he told me that all was somewhat OK BUT my IMS bearing was in the wrong way round. OMG what the hell. He assured me all was going to be OK and that the new bearing was in fine and all will be OK. 

I'm shocked anyone would do something like this and possibly destroy a cars engine. I've worked on cars bikes and lorries all my life but I do believe that this is a job for the people that know porsches, that's why I chose Revolution and glad I did.

Anyone out there that is thinking of doing a job like this please please think about it and don't leave a car the same as mine was left. Im very experienced with cars and even I have left the IMS to the professionals. While my car has been there I have had 3 calls from them, telling me how things are going and keeping me informed. You can't get better than that. 

Anyway I will have my car back soon and can't wait.

A big thumbs up to Revolution, I can't thank them enough and would recommend them to anyone. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tonybandit said:

OK so after a lot of thought I decided to get my clutch done and while at it have the IMS changed. It had a small judder on set off but nothing that I was really worried about. So I chose Revolution Porsche in Leeds to do it and after a call it was booked in. 

Today I dropped off my car and walked away and went back to work. While sat at my desk my phone rang and the lovely lady at Revolution told me I would need a new flywheel, OK I said and proceeded to put the phone down. After a few more hours of daydreaming sorry WORKING! I got a call from a gentleman from Revolution and he told me that all was somewhat OK BUT my IMS bearing was in the wrong way round. OMG what the hell. He assured me all was going to be OK and that the new bearing was in fine and all will be OK. 

I'm shocked anyone would do something like this and possibly destroy a cars engine. I've worked on cars bikes and lorries all my life but I do believe that this is a job for the people that know porsches, that's why I chose Revolution and glad I did.

Anyone out there that is thinking of doing a job like this please please think about it and don't leave a car the same as mine was left. Im very experienced with cars and even I have left the IMS to the professionals. While my car has been there I have had 3 calls from them, telling me how things are going and keeping me informed. You can't get better than that. 

Anyway I will have my car back soon and can't wait.

A big thumbs up to Revolution, I can't thank them enough and would recommend them to anyone. 

Your decision to replace the bearing has defused a bomb that would surely have wrecked the engine. Whatever that bearing is supposed to do all day every day, hasn't been done in the whole life of the car. How has it not done irrevocable damage?

In an answer to you all, the guys at Revolution can't say if it has been fitted from new like that as its not something they have ever seen.

A close call is for sure and wow am I glad I've had it done.

I have a lot of history with the car and all the receipts back when it was fist born. There was no paper work for a new clutch or IMS which is why I've had the clutch done and the IMS as a while your in there job. 

Revolution have assured me that it's fine and no long lasting damage has been done. 

My thought is what if the IMS bearings that fail have all been fitted the wrong way round??? Worms can of comes to mind lol

33 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Your decision to replace the bearing has defused a bomb that would surely have wrecked the engine. Whatever that bearing is supposed to do all day every day, hasn't been done in the whole life of the car. How has it not done irrevocable damage?

They have assured me all is OK. I can only believe them as they have done so many and have loads of experience. 

4 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Strongly suspect the only handed-ness is the side the part number is printed on. Hence revolution saying not to worry. 

I think and I may have miss understood but it maybe slightly shamford on the inner race so the centre bolt stays in. He said when he unbolted it, it just fell out of the bearing and normally it doesn't. I will ask when I pick up the car and get more info for you all. 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Tonybandit said:

I think and I may have miss understood but it maybe slightly shamford on the inner race so the centre bolt stays in. He said when he unbolted it, it just fell out of the bearing and normally it doesn't. I will ask when I pick up the car and get more info for you all. 

Be interested to see pics of the one removed to see condition.

Revolution will give it to you. They gave me mine in a bag. Looks the same one way or the other but of course the markings on the seal are on the outside. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure of the age of your car, the bearing change in mid 2001 model year production from a dual row to single row, this is the dual row: Roulement bille double rangee bd20-17-a-ddua17nx01-nsk - 20x47x23.812 (123bearing.co.uk)

I'm confused by this but have to acknowledge Revolution as expert in the matter, however the IMS bearing is a pretty standard bearing so I'm not sure it would be 'handed' as such.  The detailing would be the inscription of manufacturer and part number is usually only on one face and possibly a very small chamfer on one edge of the outer diameter and inner (but usually on both which would make it symmetrical again) to allow a better lead into a housing or onto a shaft when fitting it, the other would be if the race is sealed on one face and open on the other which I don't believe to be the case with these bearings. 

Would love to hear more when you get the car back, and if possible would you pose the above to Revolution for comment to increase the level of knowledge and understanding of this thorny Porsche issue as there may be more to it.

As standard there are seals both sides. Hartech amongst others advocate removing the outer seal rather than a change of bearing, in most circumstances. 

22 minutes ago, edc said:

Photos of my old beating here on page 5.

https://www.BoXa.net/topic/59044-edcs-550-anniversary/page/4/

Shows the chamfers I referred to on both sides.  Definitely can't see how it is handed from those pictures...  Shame I can't make out the bearing number on the seal.

Not sure 8f it makes any difference but mine is a duel row bearing. 

I will ask the question once I'm there and get some clarification on what's happened and why they have said its in the wrong way round. 

Maybe getting it back today but they had to order my DMF in.  

I'm looking at a new dual-row bearing here on my desk as I write this.

The dual-row version of the IMS bearing has a spring clip groove on the outside race located towards one end, so in this respect can be considered "handed".  This groove should be positioned facing towards the gearbox so that the spring clip engages in the corresponding groove in the intermediate shaft.  The face of the bearing nearest the spring groove is etched with the part number NSK BD20-17 on the inner race.  The other end of the bearing has no marks on the races.  Thus properly inserted, it will be possible to see the part number.

If the bearing was inserted the wrong way round, no part number would be visible.  However the bearing would end up fully in its proper position but the spring clip would not engage and secure the bearing as intended.  Due to the interference fit of the bearing in the shaft it is unlikely the bearing would move so probably not a problem but obviously should be rectified by fitting a new bearing and the right way round!  

So well done to Revolution for spotting this.  I wonder many other IMS experts would have done so?  Similarly, I wonder how the bearing ended up the wrong way round?  A lapse in Porsche QA or a mistake by someone fitting a new bearing at some point in the history of the car?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, tonyplymouth said:

I'm looking at a new dual-row bearing here on my desk as I write this.

The dual-row version of the IMS bearing has a spring clip groove on the outside race located towards one end, so in this respect can be considered "handed".  This groove should be positioned facing towards the gearbox so that the spring clip engages in the corresponding groove in the intermediate shaft.  The face of the bearing nearest the spring groove is etched with the part number NSK BD20-17 on the inner race.  The other end of the bearing has no marks on the races.  Thus properly inserted, it will be possible to see the part number.

If the bearing was inserted the wrong way round, no part number would be visible.  However the bearing would end up fully in its proper position but the spring clip would not engage and secure the bearing as intended.  Due to the interference fit of the bearing in the shaft it is unlikely the bearing would move so probably not a problem but obviously should be rectified by fitting a new bearing and the right way round!  

So well done to Revolution for spotting this.  I wonder many other IMS experts would have done so?  Similarly, I wonder how the bearing ended up the wrong way round?  A lapse in Porsche QA or a mistake by someone fitting a new bearing at some point in the history of the car?  

Looking again I can see the groove in the picture on the web link I posted above.  Don't suppose anyone has pictures showing the spring clip and the groove on the shaft?

Short answer, it is handed and therefore can be fitted the wrong way round...