Relatability / warranty. Please don’t shoot me!

Stuno1

I am (like many) having an arguement in my head about if I want a warranty on the car. 

Other than the engine mounts that come with the sports chrono package are there any other common issues/faults? I couldn’t find any. 

The car has zunsport grills on the front that may invalidate a Porsche warranty. Are they easy to take off and on? 

Stu

4 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

One of the valves has stuck on my exhaust, the whole exhaust is being replaced under warranty.

How much is it for 1yr and 2yr warranty these days??

Not much really. £740 for a year. I will hear from Porsche Colchester on Monday about of the zunsport grilles invalidate the warranty.

Edited by Stuno1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

I am (like many) having an arguement in my head about if I want a warranty on the car. 

Other than the engine mounts that come with the sports chrono package are there any other common issues/faults? I couldn’t find any. 

The car has zunsport grills on the front that may invalidate a Porsche warranty. Are they easy to take off and on? 

Stu

I recently had the same argument and let my warranty lapse a few months ago. Then my mount went 🤣. But I'm still around £200 better off based on the cost of the 2 year warranty renewal. (until the other side goes!)

Main thought process I went though is what's a common failure that would be covered by warranty? Exhaust, mounts. That's about all I've really seen people claiming for frequently, the cars are fairly bullet proof. One consideration is the PDK box. Something like £12k if you need a new one, no one services them or fixes them, just a straight swap at Porsche if there is a fault. So some consider keeping the warranty for that.

If you are in warranty you do need to keep with OPC servicing (the extended warranty is an insurance so they can stipulate that unlike a new car warranty). So another saving to be had by using independents for servicing if you don't have warranty. If you car already doesn't have full OPC history they may demand you have it redone at the OPC before they will put a warranty on it.

7 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Not much really. £740 for a year. I will hear from Porsche Colchester on Monday about of the zunsport grilles invalidate the warranty.

The vehicle will also need to have been owned by you for at least three months , pass an 111 point check and also have last been serviced by an OPC to be considered for warranty.

8 minutes ago, CMA said:

One consideration is the PDK box.

PDK coverage was part of the reason I have warranty on mine (albeit mine is a 987.2), that and I rationalised £60ish a month isn't as eye watering as a large unexpected bill.

I've had my monies worth out of the coverage.

Edited by iborguk

23 minutes ago, iborguk said:

The vehicle will also need to have been owned by you for at least three months , pass an 111 point check and also have last been serviced by an OPC to be considered for warranty.

Ah ok! That rules it out then as last service was Indy and done November just gone! So no warranty for 2 years. Lol

11 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Ah ok! That rules it out then as last service was Indy and done November just gone! So no warranty for 2 years. Lol

It might be the case they insist on having that service redone by them before they will offer warranty. Worth an ask anyway to check.

Car must be owned by you for at least three months, the last service must have been done at OPC and it must pass an inspection at £211 before they’ll consider a two year warranty at £1200. I’ve just had the six year service, MOT, inspection and warranty @£2500 in total.  My PDK box needed replacing early part of this year and I had to fight for it as it wasn’t under Porsche warranty but I’ve now got peace of mind for two years. 

Just unclip the Zunsports, it doesn’t take long. Personally I’d remove them permanently as I think they’re ugly but they do serve a purpose I guess. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

I could be wrong but I believe the service they would have to undertake before the 111 point check is a major service.

When I did mine it was just “the most recent service was at OPC” ( and as others have said) owned for 3 months.  

the other things that cause issues at the check are non original parts.   Battery is a common one - needs to be a Porsche one, and no 3rd party suspension parts etc.  

But it seems to be  a very good warranty  and at the cost of a tankful of supermarket paraffin a month I think is a reasonable price for what you get but the entry bar is high but it’s their ball so it’s their rules.  

Compared to the 3rd party warranty I got from the dealers on my first 987.  Only thing I ever tried to claim was a belt tensioner that had seized “oh no sir. Seizing doesn’t count as failed”

Pays your money.  Takes your choice.  

• Thanks 1

Yeah I’ll put money aside each year if that’s the case. It only just had its 8 year service. So if I had to do that it would be 700 ish for the service, maybe 200 for the check and the 740 for the warranty. If the car needed a service then I would but it doesn’t.

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

When I did mine it was just “the most recent service was at OPC” ( and as others have said) owned for 3 months.  

the other things that cause issues at the check are non original parts.   Battery is a common one - needs to be a Porsche one, and no 3rd party suspension parts etc.  

But it seems to be  a very good warranty  and at the cost of a tankful of supermarket paraffin a month I think is a reasonable price for what you get but the entry bar is high but it’s their ball so it’s their rules.  

Compared to the 3rd party warranty I got from the dealers on my first 987.  Only thing I ever tried to claim was a belt tensioner that had seized “oh no sir. Seizing doesn’t count as failed”

Pays your money.  Takes your choice.  

If you could get an inspection then a warranty id do it. That’s what i did with a Lexus isf many moons ago. 

22 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

Hi, I’ve got grilles fitted and it’s been thru a minor and major service, plus at least one 111 point pre warranty purchase check, and it’s never been an issue at Colchester OPC. I actually asked the service dept whether I needed to remove them prior to the 111 check 3 years ago and they said leave them be it’s ok.

3 minutes ago, martyn said:

Hi, I’ve got grilles fitted and it’s been thru a minor and major service, plus at least one 111 point pre warranty purchase check, and it’s never been an issue at Colchester OPC. I actually asked the service dept whether I needed to remove them prior to the 111 check 3 years ago and they said leave them be it’s ok.

Ah ok! The only sticking point I may have then is the last service being done by an Indy. I don’t get it personally as if they check the car it should be ok! 

2 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Ah ok! The only sticking point I may have then is the last service being done by an Indy. I don’t get it personally as if they check the car it should be ok! 

Ok. To buy the warranty, you will need a 111 point check, also do you know if the Indy used any non Porsche parts in the service or before the service, ie non Porsche battery etc, because the OPC will need them replaced as well before it passes the check. Then you’re good to go.

For what it’s worth, I bought my car from Colchester OPC just over 5 years ago, always been serviced there and always been under the Porsche extended warranty scheme. Never had any issues whatsoever and never made a claim, just lucky I guess!

8 minutes ago, martyn said:

Ok. To buy the warranty, you will need a 111 point check, also do you know if the Indy used any non Porsche parts in the service or before the service, ie non Porsche battery etc, because the OPC will need them replaced as well before it passes the check. Then you’re good to go.

For what it’s worth, I bought my car from Colchester OPC just over 5 years ago, always been serviced there and always been under the Porsche extended warranty scheme. Never had any issues whatsoever and never made a claim, just lucky I guess!

Not sure. I can calm them to check. Do you think I don’t need the most recent service to be a Porsche one then?

No, but as far as I’m aware you will need the 111 point check to purchase the warranty, because they will check that your Indy service used Porsche parts.

The last warranty I bought I never needed a 111 point check done because a). The last service was by Porsche and b). Because the current warranty hadn’t expired, so it was just a continuation.

Assuming there is a compliance with Porsche requirements there is no need to have had a Porsche service prior to buying the warranty.

8 minutes ago, martyn said:

No, but as far as I’m aware you will need the 111 point check to purchase the warranty, because they will check that your Indy service used Porsche parts.

The last warranty I bought I never needed a 111 point check done because a). The last service was by Porsche and b). Because the current warranty hadn’t expired, so it was just a continuation.

Assuming there is a compliance with Porsche requirements there is no need to have had a Porsche service prior to buying the warranty.

They are calling me on Monday. If that’s the case I’ll do it. If not I’ll do it when the car is next serviced by Colchester in 2 years time.