Relatability / warranty. Please don’t shoot me!

Stuno1

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

They are calling me on Monday. If that’s the case I’ll do it. If not I’ll do it when the car is next serviced by Colchester in 2 years time. 

When I converted to a standalone Porsche warranty the last service had to be done by them (OPC Cambridge). The previous service had been done by an Indy with Porsche parts and that made no difference to the OPC, they had to be the last people to service the car.

Not an issue for your Cayman but mine is getting a new outer roof under warranty in Jan due to a demisting element failing…and that’s quite a few £’s, about 3 x the warranty’s two year cost.

Anyway as I said before worth your asking them (as you are doing) and good luck re whatever you decide. For me the warranty Is worth it. YMMV.

Edited by iborguk

Just finished speaking with Porsche Colchester.

- The most recent service needs to have been done by Porsche.

- 111 point check required with replacement parts as needed to porches oem.

- Must have owned it for 3 months. 

That rules me out until the next service in 2 years time at which point a 111 point inspection will be needed on top of the service. 

I don’t get it! Do the inspection, replace parts as needed and offer a warranty. That’s what other manufacturers do. I’ll put money away and use that if something goes wrong. That gives me 1700 ish until the warranty can be applied in 2 years if I decide to do so at that point. 

9 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Phone around. OPCs sometimes interpret requirements differently. Might find another who is less demanding. 

Just tried Porsche east london and it’s the same unfortunately. Most recent service needs to be a Porsche OPC one. 

24 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Just tried Porsche east london and it’s the same unfortunately. Most recent service needs to be a Porsche OPC one. 

That's good to know, I thought it was all servicing needed to be OPC. So I could get back in at next service....hmmm interesting. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, CMA said:

That's good to know, I thought it was all servicing needed to be OPC. So I could get back in at next service....hmmm interesting. Thanks.

That’s what I was told. I’ll investigate again in 2 years time.

4 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

Just finished speaking with Porsche Colchester.

- The most recent service needs to have been done by Porsche.

- 111 point check required with replacement parts as needed to porches oem.

- Must have owned it for 3 months. 

That rules me out until the next service in 2 years time at which point a 111 point inspection will be needed on top of the service. 

I don’t get it! Do the inspection, replace parts as needed and offer a warranty. That’s what other manufacturers do. I’ll put money away and use that if something goes wrong. That gives me 1700 ish until the warranty can be applied in 2 years if I decide to do so at that point. 

If you're so desperate to get the warranty, why don't you just book it in for a service at the OPC alongside the 111 point check and do a deal on the price? If your last indy service was so recent, it's not like there will be a load of work required on the service side surely?

4 minutes ago, spook said:

it's not like there will be a load of work required on the service side surely?

They will want to redo the last service plus anything like plugs, belts, brake fluid which are due (even if they have been done).

7 hours ago, ATM said:

I've seen some cat listed damaged repaired cars for sale claiming to have Porsche Warranty. Must be a good earner for Porsche or they wouldn't do it.

All extended warranties make money, it's why they are sold. The odds are on your side not having one, but that doesn’t help if you get a big bill.

Never taken a paid warranty in my life, however after getting a £1200 warranty claim on my 718 a few months before the 3 year new car warranty ran out, had I kept the car I would have warranted it, simply due to the circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

All extended warranties make money, it's why they are sold. The odds are on your side not having one, but that doesn’t help if you get a big bill.

Never taken a paid warranty in my life, however after getting a £1200 warranty claim on my 718 a few months before the 3 year new car warranty ran out, had I kept the car I would have warranted it, simply due to the circumstances. 

I think they make more sense if you use the car a lot.  Imagine buying a new[ish] GT3 and then ragging it round the Ring day in and day out.  Sure this is warranty wins.  But a garage queen you barely use - I'm not sure I see the value.  But its the buyer's decision.

All of this is leading to me going down the ‘self insurance’ route. The first year would cost me £2k ish as would need a service, 111 point inspection and then warranty. Then 650 ish every year after. Also they won’t allow me to have zunsport grilles on the car or any non standard parts. 

From doing my research other than the common issues (exhaust valve actuator and engine mounts) they seem very reliable.

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

All of this is leading to me going down the ‘self insurance’ route. The first year would cost me £2k ish as would need a service, 111 point inspection and then warranty. Then 650 ish every year after. Also they won’t allow me to have zunsport grilles on the car or any non standard parts. 

From doing my research other than the common issues (exhaust valve actuator and engine mounts) they seem very reliable.

Zunsport grills are easy to take off when the cars goes into your OPC for anything.

4 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

From what you said earlier about using Colchester Porsche for servicing and your 111 point check, I can guarantee that you won’t need to remove your grilles before presenting car. I never have and I have had this conversation with them.