Charging a flat battery

Shippers01

How flat?  If it’s still 10-11v then you shouldn’t have issues.  If it’s 0v and been left like that for long it is likely feked! 

if you have a smart/trickle charger (Ctek or similar) you should be able to charge in situ as these soft start and charge at a slower rate, you don’t even have to disconnect terminals.

I’ll let someone else comment on 986 issues with removing battery.

• Like 1

To avoid alarm going off, just put key in ignition and turn to first position. You can then remove battery. On mine I can then remove the key, but I think on some you would have to poke something into a hole on the ignition barrel to release the key. Make sure you know your radio code and wind the drivers window down and back up to reset the auto drop before closing the door. Check the date code on the battery to see if it’s worth replacing it now before it let’s you down again.

• Like 1

Thanks. Last week i had to jump start it as would not quite turn over. Been using it every day since and been fine. Did not take it out yesterday. Would not start this morning so jumped no problem but after driving about for 20 mins now will not start!!!! Hoping just battery may be knackered!!

23 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

To avoid alarm going off, just put key in ignition and turn to first position. You can then remove battery. On mine I can then remove the key, but I think on some you would have to poke something into a hole on the ignition barrel to release the key. Make sure you know your radio code and wind the drivers window down and back up to reset the auto drop before closing the door. Check the date code on the battery to see if it’s worth replacing it now before it let’s you down again.

On the 987 an emergency ignition key removal "tool" (piece of L shaped metal) is found inside the fusebox lid in the driver's footwell (wondered if that's the same re the 986).

Edited by iborguk

7 minutes ago, Shippers01 said:

Thanks. Last week i had to jump start it as would not quite turn over. Been using it every day since and been fine. Did not take it out yesterday. Would not start this morning so jumped no problem but after driving about for 20 mins now will not start!!!! Hoping just battery may be knackered!!

A good indication is how long it takes to charge up. A good battery fully discharged will take several hours to fully charge the 100 AH capacity. 4 amps * 25 hours. Check the charging current of your charger. If it shows fully charged in a few hours then it’s goosed. If you’re not sure, leave it for a day after charging and then see if it takes charge again as that shows it’s internally discharging which means it’s goosed.

• Like 1

whats your daily mileage, on the days you are using it? but if the car wouldn't start after just one day of inactivity, i'd suggest the battery needs replacement.

mine is currently going 2-3 weeks between use with no trickle charger attached, and still fires up just fine. I replaced the battery around may of last year.

Got my friend to check battery and looks like its not holding charge. Will try and give it charge but if no joy will get new battety. Can you charge battery without taking it out??? Currently got a halfords battery on it at the moment so any other recommendations greatly recieved!!

47 minutes ago, Shippers01 said:

Got my friend to check battery and looks like its not holding charge. Will try and give it charge but if no joy will get new battety. Can you charge battery without taking it out??? Currently got a halfords battery on it at the moment so any other recommendations greatly recieved!!

My battery isn't that old but if I don't use my 986 for say a month it won't start. I use a Halfords charger 'for up to 1800cc cars'(!),  and attach it to the battery terminals, without taking them off, on 'fast charge'. About 12 hours later it starts fine and so long as I use it regularly all is well. But I guess the battery, although not that old, might need changing. I suppose I should get it tested - some time......

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 1

I'm sensing from you description and the fact we've got cold damp weather that the battery has had it.  Key to first position and then disconnect battery, if you don't you get an ear full of very loud alarm siren...  but then we shouldn't really tell you that as it is a 986 owner's rite of passage.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I'm sensing from you description and the fact we've got cold damp weather that the battery has had it.  Key to first position and then disconnect battery, if you don't you get an ear full of very loud alarm siren...  but then we shouldn't really tell you that as it is a 986 owner's rite of passage.

Yep think that is the case. Battery broken!!!! Thanks for heads up about siren!!! With key in position 1 is that for changing the battery or can i take battery out and leave key in position 1 or turn off and charge battery for few then reconnect it?? Try and charge first to double check it!!

Leave it in position one to disconnect.   It is best to do the swap immediately, otherwise once disconnected there is no power so you need to plan ahead to secure the car and be able to close the doors by dropping the glass a fraction and not fully close the bonnet unless you ahve an older car with a mechanical release in the sill or know where the emergency pull wire is....

• Like 1

Bosch, Yuassa and Varta seem to be the most commonly used ones noted on here.  Look for a good CCA number an you can fir both 096 and 110 type batteries as the base clamp that holds it down has adjustable positions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Bosch, Yuassa and Varta seem to be the most commonly used ones noted on here.  Look for a good CCA number an you can fir both 096 and 110 type batteries as the base clamp that holds it down has adjustable positions.

What is cca number?? And was is good number. Sorry if sounding silly!!!

This probably isn't good advice to follow, but I've always just used a CTEK charger when the battery has been flat on my 987. 

It's the original Porsche-branded unit, so doesn't have all of the modes or information that the more modern CTEKs do.

The charger gets really hot when charging a totally flat battery, so I normally stay with it, but it never takes that long to get to the level where I can start the car. I then take it out for a drive and put it back on the charger which by then is back to running as cool as it usually does.

I expect that my battery is not in the best of health as a result of it running flat a few times, but it still starts strongly after couple of weeks of not using the car in spring/summer/autumn. I'm fairly religious about connecting it to the CTEK at ll times in the winter as I don't think it would last long otherwise.

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Just fitted a Yuasa HSB110 from Halfords on my 986 just under £100 with a trade card. Has a 5 year warranty. ECP wanted £160 for the Bosch equivalanet.

Just remember to put the key in ignition pos 1 before disconnecting it 🙂

• Like 1