987.2 Rear Foglight Help

bbrbob

Can anyone with a Gen 2 help please?  It's MOT time tomorrow and because it was foggy over the weekend I was suspicious that my rear fog wasn't working...  Pulled the driver's side light this morning as I couldn't see anything getting brighter with the switch on.  Darn it.  As I've never looked at the light on from the outside I don't know which bit is meant to illuminate. As only the reverse light and indicator are non LED I assume a bit of the main cluster is meant to come on?  Also, with the switch clicked for the fog light to be on, only the inner part of both sides brake lights illuminate, with it off I get the whole hockey stick coming on.  Is this right??  The lights on the switch are working OK.

I am confused.

Thanks.

Bob.

Edited by bbrbob

Does this help? It’s the far right vertical section.

Not the best picture as facing directly in to the sun. Also the full row of LEDs are on across the top as usual, they just don’t show in the picture, but hopefully gives you what you need

kxb95uI_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Hmm that bit on mine only comes on with the brake light and fog light stitched to off.  With fog light switched to on it's dark and the brake light only illuminates on the left hand side...

Could this be the time to bite the bullet and go to porschelights for a pair of replacements? God knows how much one side would be from the dealers and Gen 2 bits are so much rarer off EBay..

Edited by bbrbob

2 hours ago, bbrbob said:

Hmm that bit on mine only comes on with the brake light and fog light stitched to off.  With fog light switched to on it's dark and the brake light only illuminates on the left hand side...

Could this be the time to bite the bullet and go to porschelights for a pair of replacements? God knows how much one side would be from the dealers and Gen 2 bits are so much rarer off EBay..

If it’s new to you have a quick check and make sure that none has tried to “fix” the fog lights by wiring across from drivers side to passenger side.   

it’s only the drivers side that is supposed to work and despite it being common on a lot of different cars there seems to be a trend to try and make both sides work. 

9 hours ago, bbrbob said:

It sounds odd, I’ve never heard of that issue with the gen 2 lights. 
You can normally find a single replacement light for £150 off eBay.

I looked at replacing my gen 2 lights with a new oem pair and it was about £700. I ended up with a pair of the 718 style aftermarket’s which were very good.

Decided to go for the full LED setup from Porschelights but then found there was a 6-8 week delay on them... 😡 Then just went for a new right cluster from Design911 - arrive, fitted and works!  Time to book the MOT again now.  I've decided to have a go a replacing the non LED segments or the rears with LED bulbs.  They're odd things (PH16W).. and have found replacements for the reversing bulbs easily (currently on a slow boat from China) but can find nothing for the amber indicators.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I could convert the weird bulb housings to accept more standard bulbs I suppose?

I am pretty sure the indicators will throw canbus errors if you goto LED without ballast resistors if they are currently regular filament bulbs.

Don't know about the reversing bulbs - but have to ask (and of course - your car, your rules) - why bother for reversing lights? 

2 hours ago, bbrbob said:

Decided to go for the full LED setup from Porschelights but then found there was a 6-8 week delay on them... 😡 Then just went for a new right cluster from Design911 - arrive, fitted and works!  Time to book the MOT again now.  I've decided to have a go a replacing the non LED segments or the rears with LED bulbs.  They're odd things (PH16W).. and have found replacements for the reversing bulbs easily (currently on a slow boat from China) but can find nothing for the amber indicators.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I could convert the weird bulb housings to accept more standard bulbs I suppose?

do you have a link to the rear cluster that was bought? 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

it comes to us all :( 

Yep afraid so 😂

No mine has some annoying stress cracks on the red sections that looked like scratches but the actual outside was like glass . I wondered if it was from the heat of the engine, it use to get toasty in 987.2 boot 🤣

3 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Yep afraid so 😂

No mine has some annoying stress cracks on the red sections that looked like scratches but the actual outside was like glass . I wondered if it was from the heat of the engine, it use to get toasty in 987.2 boot 🤣

Crazing. Not uncommon.