New 987.2 - odd noise...

tallstevef

Hi All, picked up a low mile 987.2 3.4 a week ago, Guards Red with hardtop. Just getting to know the car, and have found a very odd noise whilst driving.

It's like a very faint "reversing" beep you hear from a lorry. Not linked to engine revs as far as I can tell, and not really noticable unless stationary and radio fairly low volume.

Any thoughts? Obviously a bit paranoid as it's a new car!!

@tallstevef I’ve had something similar before that turned out to be the fan causing interference. (On a certain fan speed it caused a faint beeping like noise - weird). 

May not be that in your case - but if you decrease / or increase the fan speed a few notches it’s an easy way of seeing if the noise disappears. 

It sounds strange and I’ve never heard of that problem before. Is the hardtop fitted and does it make the noise without the hardtop? It might not make any difference but I wonder if the hood isn’t fully closed, although I doubt the hardtop would fit if it wasn’t. I never had the hardtop on my 987 s but I had one on the 986 but I can’t remember exactly how it fits.

It maybe a slight fault on the parking sensors but it could really be anything. I’m guessing everything is fully closed on the car, boots etc although I think that would show on the dashboard and make a loud beep.

Welcome.  

weird issue.  We like those.   

try it with air con on/off. 

remove the inspection cover behind the seats - lots of things that spin in there so mind your fingers/hair etc.  but maybe it louder and you can pin it down.  

Just now, tallstevef said:

Hmmm, I'm not at all mechanical so not sure I'll be that good delving around the oily bits! Still, it's a good suggestion...

Will try with Aircon settings too to see if any difference.

Hi and welcome.

Do you have rear parking sensors ? If you do wonder if something there is on the fritz even without reverse selected...

28 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Hi and welcome.

Do you have rear parking sensors ? If you do wonder if something there is on the fritz even without reverse selected...

Yes, I do have rear sensors - it's possible I guess.

Lots of things to try, thanks for the suggestions - it might take me a while to get through them!

19 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Speed Limit Alarm set ? Page 94 of the Driver's manual shows the how-to.

I'd have thought that the sound was far too quiet for a speed alarm - especially as when I tend to hear it I'm either stationary or moving slowly - usually less than 20mph

3 minutes ago, tallstevef said:

I'd have thought that the sound was far too quiet for a speed alarm - especially as when I tend to hear it I'm either stationary or moving slowly - usually less than 20mph

Can you get another set of ears on it when it occurs to help you locate where the noise is coming from...?

I would think rear parking assist is the source - the control unit is under the passenger seat in 987.2, where any water getting in will collect and rot things.  Q Do your reversing lights work?  see this similar tale... http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=134221&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20&sid=401e5ee6fe2d17a6ff53acb0adc4bc53

So, slight update.

Tried Ac on and off, and fan speed - no difference.

Tried switching to N / R / P and noise remained.

Rear lights / sensors work - but obviously might need further checks. No obvious dampness in cabin, car was garaged for last 8 years or so - no apparent water ingress over the last week.

One interesting thing, starting from cold there is no noise, it only started about 10 mins or so into the trip - once things had warmed up. Not sure if this points to anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tallstevef said:

So, slight update.

Tried Ac on and off, and fan speed - no difference.

Tried switching to N / R / P and noise remained.

Rear lights / sensors work - but obviously might need further checks. No obvious dampness in cabin, car was garaged for last 8 years or so - no apparent water ingress over the last week.

One interesting thing, starting from cold there is no noise, it only started about 10 mins or so into the trip - once things had warmed up. Not sure if this points to anything.

Tip if you're not aware of it , when checking for dampness pull up the carpet behind the seats and check the underlay foam as well as the carpet.

Roof drains also need to be checked regularly.

Which area of the car is the noise coming from...?

When you say "reversing beep" does it actually sound like 3x "tones"/"bongs" at a relatively low volume ?

Maybe post a link to a video which includes the noise...?

Edited by iborguk

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

A bit of an update and maybe some useful information for the group. Today was the 1st time I took the hard top off and went for a drive. 2 things became very clear:

1. The odd, quiet beeping noise disappeared. My theory is that the connector for the heated rear screen wasn't connected and the car "knew" the hardtop was there - and the beeps were almost a quiet warning that the heating element wasn't connected.

2. What a fantastic car the Boxster is, quiet B road, top down - really great drive, a 12 year old car with NO squeaks, rattles - just v.tight and beautifully resolved. Am kind of getting why people love them!!

Regards,

Steven

• Like 3