Tiptronic..yeah or nay.

dave Morgan

20 hours ago, JonSta said:

For me it's a hell no. And I have had one. Mind you I'm not good with autos. I've only ever had 2 and I broke both. Don't disagree with autos in principle but....

I used to have a bad opinion of autos, mainly based on older rover and Jaguar autos that drained power and were not sporty to drive.

However my wife had an automatic Toyata Supra turbo that I abolutey loved driving. Also my turbo diesel Jaguar is not slow so I don't dismiss a good auomatic.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:53 PM, mattomg said:

I went from a 986 s tip to a 996 C4S tip because of sciatica. ! thing you can do to improve it's drivability is fit a sprint booster. At around £200 it transforms the feel of the box to more akin to a cable throtle rather the more usual sensor equipped ars. Kickdownns are more reaily triggred too

As a Boxster newbie I have a lot to learn.

I know that with some of the Amercan automatics fitted to the muscle cars there are a range of Shift Kits and Trans packs that sharpen up the gear changes, move the shift points and make them more responsive. Also a range of torque converters that suite different uses. Automatic gearboxes can be a topic in itself.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:53 PM, mattomg said:

I went from a 986 s tip to a 996 C4S tip because of sciatica. ! thing you can do to improve it's drivability is fit a sprint booster. At around £200 it transforms the feel of the box to more akin to a cable throtle rather the more usual sensor equipped ars. Kickdownns are more reaily triggred too

It really messes up your typing skills though.

2 hours ago, dave Morgan said:

As a Boxster newbie I have a lot to learn.

I know that with some of the Amercan automatics fitted to the muscle cars there are a range of Shift Kits and Trans packs that sharpen up the gear changes, move the shift points and make them more responsive. Also a range of torque converters that suite different uses. Automatic gearboxes can be a topic in itself.

The other auto I broke was my 71 Dodge challenger 340 r/t. 3 speed torqueflite with slapstick which I suppose was a bit like a tip - just click the shifter up and whack it up or down as you like. Broke the reverse gear brake band. Rebuilt it in my kitchen with a direct connection (the Mopar hot parts department) shift kit. Kickdowns and full throttle upshifts would both burn rubber. God I loved that car.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:41 PM, dave Morgan said:

Sounds good, I will have to drive one to decide.

My Jaguar is turbo diesel auto and very pleasant to drive, but in a Boxster I thought I might miss a manual gearchange.

I have a Jag auto diesel too as an everyday car. I had a 986S manual and now have a 987.2S with Pdk. It is fantastic but just not quite interactive enough for me if I am being 100% honest and I think a manual would be more fun and more special if you already have an auto.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Terryg said:

I have a Jag auto diesel too as an everyday car. I had a 986S manual and now have a 987.2S with Pdk. It is fantastic but just not quite interactive enough for me if I am being 100% honest and I think a manual would be more fun and more special if you already have an auto.

Does your PDK have flappy paddles on the steering wheel ?

All subjective but I find the paddles give me that "manual style" immersion, when I want it , which I had with my previous six speed manual car.

Of course YMMV and we all like what we like 🙃

There are wrong answers here...

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, iborguk said:

All subjective but I find the paddles give me that "manual style" immersion, when I want it , which I had with my previous six speed manual car.

As I said before fit the flappy paddles to the steering wheel and it makes all the difference to your interaction with your car I find the upshifts really quick and I doubt many people could upshift quicker with a manual car, the downshifts are a tad slower but you learn when to change down when approaching corners and when you are pushing on you keep both your hands on the steering wheel. With the tiptronic in manual mode you decide when to change gear just as you do in a car with a manual box

• Like 1

I tried several before going with a 987.1 2.7 manual 5 speed , the tiptronic  are a bit slow on the up take especially when going into a corner , bought s 987.1 3.4s 6 speed manual several months ago from a well known forum member on here it is even better than the 5 speed as it has a short shift . I had a test drive in a 981 PDK about 6 months ago again seemed to lack driver involvement ! Best trying a lot then make a choice plenty turn up on the forum and at least you know most  will have been well kept but as always do the checks .

good luck 

9 hours ago, iborguk said:

Yes it does, it also has sport and sport plus, but there could be several factors here other than the car itself.

When I had the 986 I was in the north of England and used the car mainly for driving on the stunning roads around Yorkshire, Lancashire and Derbyshire with a group of odd people well known to this forum. Now I am in Cambridge with dull roads and without said group of misfits, I get less opportunity to drive it properly and so end up leaving it in auto mode even on the rare occasion I get a chance to stretch its legs, I just don't get enough chance to learn to get the best from the paddles and being 60, learning something new takes time.

When you drive a manual you are using the gears all the time so even on dull roads you get some practice at being quicker, smoother etc., so maybe I should use the paddles more, but sitting in traffic on the appalling A10, whilst they dig it up yet again, does not encourage that.

Anyway, just trying to present a more balanced picture for the OP, @Nobbie is legendary on here for making his Tip absolutely fly, when I was on the 924 forum I remember reading a post about how the 924 (3 speed) auto was barely any slower on the track than the manual (I have one of these too btw). So try one and if you like it and good one comes up, don't be afraid to buy it.

• Like 1

I have a 987 tip and my father in law has a 986s also a tip

The big advantage which hasn’t been mentioned so far is there are no worries about changing expensive dual mass flywheels and clutches. Bit obvious I know also no worries about whether the previous owners have over revved the car. The Tip also adapts to your driving style and it’s easily reset

so we’re definitely fans

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Terryg said:

What I tend to find with my Jag is that 90% of the time it stays in normal auto mode. The v6 S twin turbo makes so much torque that it goes well enough, if you select the Sport settings it is even more responsive and I tend to use the paddles only on 'special occasions ' with no other traffic about.

You probably have the same view as me ,that manual gear change adds something to the driving experience in a powerful sporty car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robster66 said:

I have a 987 tip and my father in law has a 986s also a tip

The big advantage which hasn’t been mentioned so far is there are no worries about changing expensive dual mass flywheels and clutches. Bit obvious I know also no worries about whether the previous owners have over revved the car. The Tip also adapts to your driving style and it’s easily reset

so we’re definitely fans

Good to know, I have had some automatics which were dreadful and others that suited the cars well.

I was curious about the automatic in the 986 because they seem to be a bit unpopular , and being a newbie wanted to hear from experienced owners.

I get the feeling that I would possibly get on with one for 90% of the time, but as I am buying a 'second ' summer car I might miss the pleasure of a really smoth shifting 6 speed. Decisions, decisions. I will have to test drive one to really find out.

1 hour ago, dave Morgan said:

....the pleasure of a really smoth shifting 6 speed. 

When warm.  Second baulks quite a lot before it warms up for the first couple of miles on the 6 speed, particularly in winter when its cold.  A gearbox oil change helps.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 7:41 PM, JonSta said:

The other auto I broke was my 71 Dodge challenger 340 r/t. 3 speed torqueflite with slapstick which I suppose was a bit like a tip - just click the shifter up and whack it up or down as you like. Broke the reverse gear brake band. Rebuilt it in my kitchen with a direct connection (the Mopar hot parts department) shift kit. Kickdowns and full throttle upshifts would both burn rubber. God I loved that car.

A real collectors item now, especially a genuine r/t. Lovely shape as well along with it's Cuda cousin. Out of my price range...

Always thought the small blocks were more balanced than the Big Blocks as road cars.

23 hours ago, ½cwt said:

When warm.  Second baulks quite a lot before it warms up for the first couple of miles on the 6 speed, particularly in winter when its cold.  A gearbox oil change helps.

I already have a manual car with a baulky gearchange a 1968 Pontiac Firebird with a wide ratio Muncie4 speed.

It has an external rod linkage and you have to learn to use it. Get the oil warm and the revs right and it is fine, not really what you need for everyday driving which is why most customers chose the automatic back then, those early American manual cars take a bit of getting used to.

I spent a good bit on getting my 986 shift the way I wanted it, smooth shifting is something that is a bit of a stretch for them. I had the short shift kit with needle rollers and Ben Auto Design side lever, the best description was ‘rifle bolt’ .

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 12:33 PM, dave Morgan said:

What I tend to find with my Jag is that 90% of the time it stays in normal auto mode. The v6 S twin turbo makes so much torque that it goes well enough, if you select the Sport settings it is even more responsive and I tend to use the paddles only on 'special occasions ' with no other traffic about.

You probably have the same view as me ,that manual gear change adds something to the driving experience in a powerful sporty car.

My previous XFS worked well with the auto box but the torque of the diesel suited an auto and meant that driving it in sport mode was a little redundant as the power band was nestled in the regular rev range and stringing it out didn’t do anything more exciting (but helped with Italian tuneups). 

My V8 Cayenne had the auto box and I wouldn’t have enjoyed the drive with a manual box. It was a decent GT type mile muncher and the lazy Tiptronic shifts suited the torque. 

My 986s has a manual box and I wouldn’t enjoy the drive with the tiptronic.  As you mention, the driving profile is totally different and the total control over gear selection and how quick the shifts will be (including blipping on downshifts) adds so much to the enjoyment of the car. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jonobigblind said:

My previous XFS worked well with the auto box but the torque of the diesel suited an auto and meant that driving it in sport mode was a little redundant as the power band was nestled in the regular rev range and stringing it out didn’t do anything more exciting (but helped with Italian tuneups). 

My V8 Cayenne had the auto box and I wouldn’t have enjoyed the drive with a manual box. It was a decent GT type mile muncher and the lazy Tiptronic shifts suited the torque. 

My 986s has a manual box and I wouldn’t enjoy the drive with the tiptronic.  As you mention, the driving profile is totally different and the total control over gear selection and how quick the shifts will be (including blipping on downshifts) adds so much to the enjoyment of the car. 

This has turned out to be an interesting and informative thread for me.

I was slightly negative about the tiptronic, but now after hearing from both sides will reserve my opinion until I have driven one.

The thing is I tend towards liking the idea of a manual 6-speed, and as you say things like blipping on down shifts all adds to the experience.

• Thanks 1