Tiptronic..yeah or nay.

dave Morgan

Still looking for my 986 but have been noticing that the price of the Tiptronic S models are lower and they do not seem to be selling very quickly.

As my interest is in purely road use ( no track days sprints etc ) how good or bad are they. I have always refered manual, but might be willing to branch out if the rest of the car was right.

It’s good for its time (late 90s). Understand that and it’s fine. Do NOT expect PDK speed changes. Can be cheaply converted to flappy paddle changing. 
Several people here have them and are content, including those who don’t hang about. 

• Like 1

I have a Boxster S tiptronic and love it, I had it converted to paddle shift which totally transformed it the paddles let you keep both hands on the wheel at all times and I always drive mine in manual mode except in stop/start traffic when I let the automatic mode do it’s own thing. I have not driven a PDK car so can’t comment on how much better it is than the tip but I will say my daily driver is an auto Volvo and I prefer the tiptronic in the Boxster to the gearbox in the Volvo. Hope this helps 

• Like 1

I wasn’t looking for an auto when I bought mine, but the car was so well looked after and cheap that I couldn’t resist. Have never regretted it. I tend to use it for weekend fun and have fitted flappy paddles which are great when pressing on. On the way to a meet I’ll just leave it in auto to do it’s thing. I’m sure PDK is hugely better, but what you’ve never had, you never miss.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

Mine happens to be a manual but I would be more than happy to drive a Tiptronic. In fact if I buy another Boxster in the future, I may well make sure its a Tip.

Sounds good, I will have to drive one to decide.

My Jaguar is turbo diesel auto and very pleasant to drive, but in a Boxster I thought I might miss a manual gearchange.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

I wasn’t looking for an auto when I bought mine, but the car was so well looked after and cheap that I couldn’t resist. Have never regretted it. I tend to use it for weekend fun and have fitted flappy paddles which are great when pressing on. On the way to a meet I’ll just leave it in auto to do it’s thing. I’m sure PDK is hugely better, but what you’ve never had, you never miss.

I had been avoiding them in my search, but as there seems to be a positive response to them here I will be looking at both manual and auto .

Will only know by driving the auto if it feels right for me.

Personally, I've never seen the attraction to an auto 'box on any car, and especially such a great driver's car as a Porsche, but each to his own I guess.  They are pretty popular though, and I know when I was searching for mine the PDK's seemed to be on around half of all cars advertised.  I've only ever owned manual cars in the past, and the few autos I've driven (hire cars) have left me cold.  The manual 6-speed on mine is an absolute joy to use, and has by far the best and most precise gear change I've ever experienced.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Personally, I've never seen the attraction to an auto 'box on any car, and especially such a great driver's car as a Porsche, but each to his own I guess.  They are pretty popular though, and I know when I was searching for mine the PDK's seemed to be on around half of all cars advertised.  I've only ever owned manual cars in the past, and the few autos I've driven (hire cars) have left me cold.  The manual 6-speed on mine is an absolute joy to use, and has by far the best and most precise gear change I've ever experienced.

Loved the six speed manual on my 987.1

Love the PDK on my 987.2

Different drives, both brilliant.

Choices, choices....

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, dave Morgan said:

Be warned they take a few days to get used to. Once you understand the delay in the changes and anticipate accordingly, then they are great. Apparently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave Morgan said:

I had been avoiding them in my search, but as there seems to be a positive response to them here I will be looking at both manual and auto .

Something to bear in mind for the test drive is that In full auto mode they adapt to your driving style, so you may find it quite lazy at changes unless you start to drive it aggressively. I must admit I barely got above 3k rpm on my test drive as it was the first time I’d driven one and the owner was sat next to me. Probably best to drive in ‘manual’ mode for at bit to see how it feels when pressing on. 

• Like 1

I went from a 986 s tip to a 996 C4S tip because of sciatica. ! thing you can do to improve it's drivability is fit a sprint booster. At around £200 it transforms the feel of the box to more akin to a cable throtle rather the more usual sensor equipped ars. Kickdownns are more reaily triggred too

• Like 1

Make sure you drive an example of both as only you can decide really.  Also try a 5 speed Boxster and a 6 speed Boxster S.  There is a notable difference with the wider ratio spread an lower torque of the 2.5/2.7 needing more work to access the engine performance or at least be in the right gear at the right time, where you can be a bit lazier with the 6 speed in the 3.2 S with its extra torque.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

Something to bear in mind for the test drive is that In full auto mode they adapt to your driving style, so you may find it quite lazy at changes unless you start to drive it aggressively. I must admit I barely got above 3k rpm on my test drive as it was the first time I’d driven one and the owner was sat next to me. Probably best to drive in ‘manual’ mode for at bit to see how it feels when pressing on. 

Sounds like a good tip. I was forgetting that they are an adaptive box and learn your usual driving style.

A lot of owners will not like buyers nearing the redline to test the earbox out ...

Just now, dave Morgan said:

A lot of owners will not like buyers nearing the redline to test the earbox out ...

A respectful prospective buyer will keep it in low revs until the temp gauge is straight up, then ask permission to stretch the car to hear it sing. People who drive these cars usually understand that kind of request.

Not sure where in the country you are @dave Morgan but if your anywhere near Stafford you’re welcome to come have a go in my 3.2 Tip.

I’d never driven one before, and bought mine ‘blind’, but have to say I absolutely love it.

Auto is perfect for when in traffic or on the motorway, but once in manual mode it’s an absolute menace. I’ve never driven a PDK, but find the shift response in my Tiptronic is more than quick enough. I’m pretty sure it shifts quicker than the usual driver would be able to in a manual having to press and release clutch, select gear etc.

My advice - don’t be put off by Tiptronic. Have a go in one first.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Make sure you drive an example of both as only you can decide really.  Also try a 5 speed Boxster and a 6 speed Boxster S.  There is a notable difference with the wider ratio spread an lower torque of the 2.5/2.7 needing more work to access the engine performance or at least be in the right gear at the right time, where you can be a bit lazier with the 6 speed in the 3.2 S with its extra torque.

I was trying to find a 3.2 S if possible, but the more affordable ones all seem to be too far North for me.

I think if I bought a 2.7 for price reasons I could regret it later. I think the torque of the 3.2 would suite me better.

Strangely a cheap 3.2 S auto came up on ebay that was fairly local, but it sold instantly before I could view it.

Given what you say I'd hold out for the right 3.2 manual, I was lucky the first 3.2 6 speed I saw I was happy to buy after looking at ads for lots of 2.7 and 3.2 versions.

If it is a second car and a sports car purchase at that go manual, if more in a GT mould or daily Tip is certainly an option.

• Like 1

I'm getting the message that Tiptronic could be an option, if one comes up I will definitely give it a test drive to see if it would suite me.

I have had many cars over the years both auto and manual, so I know both have good and bad points. I don't have a town commute so that advantage of an auto would not apply to me, it will be a second car probably for Summer use only and tucked up in Winter to help preserve it.

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Be warned they take a few days to get used to. Once you understand the delay in the changes and anticipate accordingly, then they are great. Apparently. 

I think I've said that a few times.  @Purdie has never believed me though. :D 

• Haha 1

Great boxes in my opinion, you just need to learn how they work. They do adapt to your driving style over time, so worth disconnecting the battery if you buy a tip car. Double tap the accelerator while in full auto and the box will change to the optimum gear for accelerating (certainly this works on the later models). Semi auto is also great and again a completely different drive to full auto, you need to learn when to change. It will change quicker than most people that drive 986 manuals anyway as most of them are scared of crunching the gearbox. 😄

2 hours ago, GmanB said:

Great boxes in my opinion, you just need to learn how they work. They do adapt to your driving style over time, so worth disconnecting the battery if you buy a tip car. Double tap the accelerator while in full auto and the box will change to the optimum gear for accelerating (certainly this works on the later models). Semi auto is also great and again a completely different drive to full auto, you need to learn when to change. It will change quicker than most people that drive 986 manuals anyway as most of them are scared of crunching the gearbox. 😄

Also in semi auto, you can just floor it in 1st and it will change up the gears as it hits the rev limit in each gear. Less chance of engine abuse as I’m not sure you can over rev the engine with a tip gearbox?

• Like 2