Why does the 987 do nothing for me?

Daboy3000

9 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

I wonder if I'm one of the few that remembers that a V reg car is either 1999 or 1979 depending which end the letter is!

Certainly one of the few that would know what year the old V was without a Google.  Newer A onwards and I am fine.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Certainly one of the few that would know what year the old V was without a Google.  Newer A onwards and I am fine.

must be my "Ladybird car spotting" book i had when i was a kid which i completed whe we used to take long journeys down to Cornwall for holidays in my Dad's Maxi/Cortina/Talbot Alpine/Triumph 1500/etc. Leaving at 5:30am to "beat the rush" and stopping at a little chef along the way for breakfast/jubilee pancakes

I'm really showing my age :(

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Arl30 said:

I think half the time on these forums people speak without thinking , how many people on here own a 987.1 or 987.2 ?

I also own a M registration Jensen , maybe I should go on their forum and call 541 owners D---s !

I am confused, who is saying that?

I just don't find the 987 as nice to look at as a 986.  I posed the question, why?

It's not wrong to say you don't like something or you don't think it looks nice.

I called my son Jensen!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arl30 said:

I think half the time on these forums people speak without thinking , how many people on here own a 987.1 or 987.2 ?

I also own a M registration Jensen , maybe I should go on their forum and call 541 owners D---s !

I think the OP was just posing a debating point to see if others have a similar or different view, not an damnation of those who disagree or own the model in question.

A better question may have been why choose a 987 over a 986 ?

I like the 987 over the 986 but don`t want to cause upset amongst other forum members  . I also have a choice to disagree if he drove my 3.4s manual he would also change his mind . 

Jensen is a great name , I have owned the car since 1985 . 

7 minutes ago, Arl30 said:

A better question may have been why choose a 987 over a 986 ?

I like the 987 over the 986 but don`t want to cause upset amongst other forum members  . I also have a choice to disagree if he drove my 3.4s manual he would also change his mind . 

Jensen is a great name , I have owned the car since 1985 . 

No, a better question would not have been that.  Because that doesn't answer the thing in my head and would fill the thread with driving opinions and fuel consumption and reliability and all those things that don't mean anything when we are talking about looks.

Really, people are upset because I prefer a 986 over a 987 and I'm brave enough to say that on a Boxster forum.

Come on people, get a grip.  The 987 is a lovely car, I just don't really like it that much.

Just to clarify, it's ok not to like something, it's ok to tell people you don't like something.  As long as no insults are thrown out then there is really just the issue of 987 owners trying to find an issue.

Edited by Daboy3000

Looks are subjective , Tiptronic is Cr=p compared to PDK and manual .

987 cant be lovely and cr*p at the same time .

I like the 986 but don`t love the head lights same as the 996 and out of all the Porsches today it would be my last choice , as a drivers car which is why most people buy them it is a different story , behind the wheel they hide their age well and are great fun . 

Brave on a Boxster forum ! 

As I noted it is a debating point... We are having a debate, from what I can see, and that involves people expressing an opinion, not decrying those with a different opinion.

(modern journalism and politics could learn a bit from that statement)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arl30 said:

Did you see the Jensen on Car SOS - bright green and a complete basket case, but they worked their magic and looked awesome by the end

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

No, a better question would not have been that.  Because that doesn't answer the thing in my head and would fill the thread with driving opinions and fuel consumption and reliability and all those things that don't mean anything when we are talking about looks.

Really, people are upset because I prefer a 986 over a 987 and I'm brave enough to say that on a Boxster forum.

Come on people, get a grip.  The 987 is a lovely car, I just don't really like it that much.

Just to clarify, it's ok not to like something, it's ok to tell people you don't like something.  As long as no insults are thrown out then there is really just the issue of 987 owners trying to find an issue.

I prefer a 987 to a 986

I also prefer a 997 to a 992

I also think the Boxster Spyder's are a bit pointless, especially for the extra cash to have a silly hood - but each to their own and i respect everyone's own preference :)

5 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Did you see the Jensen on Car SOS - bright green and a complete basket case, but they worked their magic and looked awesome by the end

I caught that half way through once they had stripped it back to what was left of the bare metal😳. I’m surprised the programme budget stretched to the amount of work that needed.

Back OT, I think the 987 exterior is a little bland compared to the 986, but not necessarily in a bad way. I’ve never liked the interior to look at, just seems dated rather than classic.

Nobody is denying the 987 is a more refined and mature package. Of course it is better in a lot of ways than the car it replaced, but not all the changes are important to everybody. Looks-wise, it just boils down to a preference between lines drawn by Grant Larson and lines drawn by Pinky Lai. I know which I prefer, and I have good idea of what design tweaks I would have made if I had a say in the styling of the other car. Just a couple of curvature radius revisions to one or two splines on the exterior (around the lights and the intakes), some very minor tweaks to the seat, binnacle, steering wheel hub, centre console and vent shapes in the interior, that's all really.

Edited by Ol' Shatterhand

You can also factor in the bore score worries on the 987.1 S 3.4. This, for the most part, doesn't exist on the 986.

This leads you to the 2.7, which with it's 5 speed gearbox (yes theres a 6 speed option, but £££ for tax), lower power output and worse brakes than the 986.2 S makes it a less attractive proposition to me!

Yes seen the resto they did a great job ! not sure how they can justify the costs though .

Every generation is meant to be an improvement , which to some it is and others it has been spoiled , I turn up in the 987 and peoples perception is that it is a relatively newish car as it has a private plate , I like the idea that it is a head turner and although the 986 is the earliest form it looks quite old from the front , side profile is very similar and rear the same unfortunately not every one loves or admires the fried egg head lights but the same can be said about the 987 that it has lost its focus or charm . 

We were talking about the look not the worry we could all save some money and buy a mk 1 MX5 .

I tried several 981 , 981s , 718 base and a 718 4.0 , the base 981 was a bit flat and quite a lot bigger , 718 base was a hoot but not a great noise the other 2 are in another league but priced as they are I could buy 3 of mine for 1 . 

I am pleased that people enjoy what they have mine is used all year round , guy lives round the corner bought a car 4 years ago and it has sat on his front ever since , never moved no mot , tax etc what a waste . 

25 minutes ago, anthonysjb said:

You can also factor in the bore score worries on the 987.1 S 3.4. This, for the most part, doesn't exist on the 986.

This leads you to the 2.7, which with it's 5 speed gearbox (yes theres a 6 speed option, but £££ for tax), lower power output and worse brakes than the 986.2 S makes it a less attractive proposition to me!

No, once again, you can't!!!!

What has bore scoring got to do with how the 986 looks better than the 987 in my opinion?

53 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I don't like the 986 as the designer got frustrated and threw his breakfast at the front of the car.

But that's just my opinion.

I guess you didn't like the 1993 concept car either, then. They did have to accommodate radiators in the nose of the production car, hence the larger overhang, but Harm Laggay's all-in-one idea for the headlights was already part of the design brief for the concept car and they made into production largely unchanged. Let us not mix opinions with facts. 

34 minutes ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

I guess you didn't like the 1993 concept car either, then. They did have to accommodate radiators in the nose of the production car, hence the larger overhang, but Harm Laggay's all-in-one idea for the headlights was already part of the design brief for the concept car and they made into production largely unchanged. Let us not mix opinions with facts. 

Perhaps this is why the 986 version is 'more definitive' as it also stems directly from a concept car.  The Audi TT is another good example of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

No, once again, you can't!!!!

What has bore scoring got to do with how the 986 looks better than the 987 in my opinion?

Ok!!!!

Perhaps went off the intended topic. Its a reason why when I look at one it doesn't do anything for me... knowing the potential for some quite serious bork. Anyway back on topic!!!