Why does the 987 do nothing for me?

Daboy3000

I thought I better keep this topic in here, don't want to upset anyone. 

For some reason, I'm really not a fan of the 987, didn't really like the Boxster again until the 718 or whatever the proper model is.  What did the 987 lose? Is it the lights, the interior, somethings off. 

Anyone else have some boxster preferences? 

Edited by Daboy3000
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

I thought I better keep this topic in here, don't want to upset anyone. 

For some reason, I'm really not a fan of the 987, didn't really like the Boxster again until the 718 or whatever the proper model is.  What did the 987 lose? Is it the lights, the interior, somethings off. 

Anyone else have some boxster preferences? 

Probably because you have never driven one? Having owned many of both 986 and 987, I would not go back to a 986 by choice 

• Thanks 1

I stopped at a coffee shop this morning and a man was tinkering with his motorbike (1979 BMW). 'Nice bike' I said. 'Nice car' he replied. We both enjoyed our coffee.

Next stop was the supermarket. A man sitting in his Discovery wound down the window and said' 'I like your car.' 'Thanks' I said, 'Your Discovery's a fine example too'

'Ah this?' he said, 'It's 10 yrs old.

His eyebrows lifted when I told him mine was 17 yrs old.

Just an average top-down day in my 987.1

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

No I haven't driven one, but that wouldn't change my mind on how it looks.

Try one a lot more grown up in my opinion, after having owned  2 986,s and 4 987,s including a RS60 , now a 3.4 Sports Edition ( which is tweaked)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JonSta said:

I think the 981 is where it became something really special lookswise.

Weirdly, I have the opposite opinion. I like the newer Caymans/Boxsters for their performance but I think the 9X7 era was "peak porsche" in terms of looks. The newer ones look great but they have lost that distinctive "Porscheness" (ie. they could be from another manufacturer whereas the 9X7 could only ever be a Porsche).

That said, the only car I really lust after at the moment is a GT4... I'm seriously thinking of buying one (a 981 - I can't afford a 718) once our house move is complete

• Like 1

You usually find the best model is often stated by the person that owns that particular model, no matter what it is!

😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, r1flyguy said:

You usually find the best model is often stated by the person that owns that particular model, no matter what it is!

😉

That's why people buy their particular model - because they like it best, surely?

This a reason why don’t open up a gambit,people have there own options, but as a caveat, when you have owned multiples of both models, it’s all down to what you prefer, earlier or later.. but I know where I keep spending my hard earnt cash !

Having only owned a 986, i actually think i prefer the looks of the 987 over the 981 and 718. Just think it looks more porsche somehow. 

But a 986 is nice too, will enjoy running that a couple of years then maybe go to a 987. Doubt id get anything newer than a 987 though.

• Like 1

When I bought my Boxster I wanted a 987 as it was the cheapest entry point for a Porsche that still had a resemblance of the classic 911’ ‘face’ with the rounder headlight, rather than the fried eggs.

however, for possibly the lowest cost Porsche, you can’t go far wrong with a 986 and I wouldn’t turn one done if someone offered me one

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

That's why people buy their particular model - because they like it best, surely?

So if you really wanted a 981 Boxster but you could only afford a 986 and it was suitable What would you do???

Edited by r1flyguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

When I bought my Boxster I wanted a 987 as it was the cheapest entry point for a Porsche that still had a resemblance of the classic 911’ ‘face’ with the rounder headlight, rather than the fried eggs.

however, for possibly the lowest cost Porsche, you can’t go far wrong with a 986 and I wouldn’t turn one done if someone offered me one

The 987 will very soon be the lowest cost Porsche.

They are dropping like a lead balloon in a lot of cases. I paid 4.5k for one a couple of days ago.

6-7k will buy a nice one with BCA

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

The 987 will very soon be the lowest cost Porsche.

They are dropping like a lead balloon in a lot of cases. I paid 4.5k for one a couple of days ago.

6-7k will buy a nice one with BCA

But you won’t be selling it for 4.5 though will you 😜

in the general market, not the trade, 986’s are still the cheapest Boxster to buy at the moment 

5 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Keep saving.

Easy to say, harder to do for some people 

I’d like a Bugatti, no end of saving will still see me never owning one 🤣

• Haha 1