Why does the 987 do nothing for me?

Daboy3000

And yet, I still like the look of plenty of models I can't afford (doesn't everyone?).

987s are getting cheap now too...

I'm happy I bought the car that captured my imagination when I first saw a picture of it in concept form, aged 12, in a car magazine in 1993. At the time it didn't look like something that would ever be as obtainable as it became. 

What can I say, German cars of the late 80s to the mid-90s, with their Bauhaus aesthetic, looked amazing. Consider the 989, the Panamericana, the Audi Quattro Spyder, the Avus, the BMW Z1, the New Beetle... More recently, only the concept cars that eventually became the R8, the i8 and the Taycan had such a startling effect on me. Oh, and Bangle's GINA. 

Edited by Ol' Shatterhand

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

Nail on the head. 

I fortunately drive 986's and some 987's daily and have owned over 100.

I can therefore give an impartial opinion.

3 hours ago, Boxsum said:

I think generally you like the look of the model that you can only afford 🤣

I don't think that explains any looks preference as such or even whether a later version is better. 

I know I'm not alone in having a 986 yet being able to afford newer and supposedly better. 

Many moons ago I made the decision to keep my 986 having considered the move to 987.  

The 987, for me at least, didn't lift the bar - it is after all the younger sibling that tried too hard to be cool and now lacks the grace to understand that tastes have moved on.

Or something like that.

Since then I've looked at 981/982 but my use and preferences don't build a strong enough case to add one of those to the mix - note add and not replace.  

Have driven enough of the later model 98x cars to know that in absolute terms they're quicker and more protective than the 986.  Which is nice, but not for me.  In a world where we're increasingly less connected to our actual environment in the widest sense the 986 is probably one of the last analogue cars which still works in a context that is 25 years on from when it first hit the road.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, map said:

the 986 is probably one of the last analogue cars which still works in a context that is 25 years on from when it first hit the road.

This is exactly why I keep mine.

Also when i have parked up somewhere, I always look back at the car and the overall look of the car never ceases to put a smile on my face!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Perhaps this is why the 986 version is 'more definitive' as it also stems directly from a concept car.  The Audi TT is another good example of this.

I've got a mk1 TT tucked away.  A very unappreciated car, thanks to its 90/2000s rudeboy/chavy type owners.  But as these disappear I think the values will shoot up. I have quiet a rare 180bhp front wheel drive (150ish left on the road), completely discounted because it isn't a quattro and not a BAM engine but a hidden gem as its much lighter and can be mapped to 210bhp very easily.

15 hours ago, Boxsum said:

I think generally you like the look of the model that you can only afford 🤣

This just comes across like you are taking the p*ss out of people with less money.

Most cars I like I can't afford.

Edited by Daboy3000

On 2/5/2022 at 9:31 PM, TROOPER88 said:

The 987 will very soon be the lowest cost Porsche.

They are dropping like a lead balloon in a lot of cases. I paid 4.5k for one a couple of days ago.

6-7k will buy a nice one with BCA

No chance 987 prices dip bellow 986's. Compare like for like (mileage, spec and condition) they aren't close. 

35 minutes ago, Escy said:

No chance 987 prices dip bellow 986's. Compare like for like (mileage, spec and condition) they aren't close. 

Incorrect.

I am looking at prices daily and see the 'sold' prices as opposed to 'for sale' prices.

987's are dropping fast.

It is in the interest of my business to know the prices. 

19 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Plenty of 986 models for sale between £2,500 and £5,000 out there right now 

There will always be low priced examples that need a fortune to bring them back, but there could be an inflection point coming where 987s get to a low point when fair and good 986s are commanding higher prices than the earlier leggy 987s that will also need a fortune to bring them back.  Some might say this ahs already happened.  Is there really a 100+k mile 16 or 17 year old 987 out there that doesn't really need a suspension overhaul for example?

Incorrect.

I am looking at prices daily and see the 'sold' prices as opposed to 'for sale' prices.

987's are dropping fast.

It is in the interest of my business to know the prices. 

They aren't, 987 prices are up on where they were 2 years ago. Just because you've picked up a cheap one doesn't prove the rule. 

If you look on auto trader, Boxster with a price under 8000, sort by age, there are 52 results 3 are 987's, the other 49 are 986's. 

You got to compare like for like, not nice examples of the 986's vs dog rough 987's. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

I've got a mk1 TT tucked away.  A very unappreciated car, thanks to its 90/2000s rudeboy/chavy type owners.  But as these disappear I think the values will shoot up. I have quiet a rare 180bhp front wheel drive (150ish left on the road), completely discounted because it isn't a quattro and not a BAM engine but a hidden gem as its much lighter and can be mapped to 210bhp very easily.

I test drove a 150 Roadster before buying the Spider - was a solid little thing with adequate performance - amazing what you can get for £1,200 these days. Problem I had was previously owning the 225 quattro which was a bit of a hooligan in comparison and lack of cambelt history, so walked away, but lots of them to choose from and the body shape has aged well imho

Edited by Mattman42

9 minutes ago, Escy said:

You got to compare like for like

Yep and @TROOPER88 is talking trade prices paid at auction not Autotrader consumer prices on the screen that may be well above the figure actually paid. As times marches on I fancy increasingly it will be 986 and 981 that will command the most attention from enthusiasts being the first and last examples of the 6 cylinder Boxster. The 987 prices will trail I fancy. Perhaps this is beginning to happen 😁

1 hour ago, Escy said:

They aren't, 987 prices are up on where they were 2 years ago. Just because you've picked up a cheap one doesn't prove the rule. 

If you look on auto trader, Boxster with a price under 8000, sort by age, there are 52 results 3 are 987's, the other 49 are 986's. 

You got to compare like for like, not nice examples of the 986's vs dog rough 987's. 

Incorrect

You are looking at 'for sale' prices and not 'achieved' prices.

Escy, please, I am buying and selling these cars daily; I know the values! :) 

To give some on here an insight that they would otherwise not see, here are a few currently listed on BCA and their guides:

2010: 2.9 PDK: £13,750 (71k)

2005: 3.2S Tip £9550 (41k)

2008: 3.4S Sport Ed £11,450 (101k)

I'm lost here. I'm looking at for sale prices, you are looking at sale prices at an auction. What have guide prices got to do with it? 

You seem to be saying at an auction, 987's go cheaper than 986's. If that's the case, why are all the 986's cheaper than the 987's when retailed? Makes no sense.

2 hours ago, Topbox said:

Yep and @TROOPER88 is talking trade prices paid at auction not Autotrader consumer prices on the screen that may be well above the figure actually paid. As times marches on I fancy increasingly it will be 986 and 981 that will command the most attention from enthusiasts being the first and last examples of the 6 cylinder Boxster. The 987 prices will trail I fancy. Perhaps this is beginning to happen 😁

10s of years from now it will be the 986 that's in demand. Not that I care that much as I certainly didn't by several years ago with that in mind!

45 minutes ago, Escy said:

I'm lost here. I'm looking at for sale prices, you are looking at sale prices at an auction. What have guide prices got to do with it? 

You seem to be saying at an auction, 987's go cheaper than 986's. If that's the case, why are all the 986's cheaper than the 987's when retailed? Makes no sense.

I showing you what good value 987’s are at the moment.

I have no more to add 👍🏻

Incorrect

You are looking at 'for sale' prices and not 'achieved' prices.

Escy, please, I am buying and selling these cars daily; I know the values! :) 

To give some on here an insight that they would otherwise not see, here are a few currently listed on BCA and their guides:

2010: 2.9 PDK: £13,750 (71k)

2005: 3.2S Tip £9550 (41k)

2008: 3.4S Sport Ed £11,450 (101k)

Its an interesting conversation and a bit of a derail from the original thread. I've been in the trade myself so understand how it works - take the first car on Troopers list for example which is probably not the best as its a 987 Gen 2 which have a premium over the 987.1 anyway - the BCA list price is £13,750 but a quick look on Autotrader for an equivalent car is anywhere from £16k to £20k - to me that is not cheap for a "base" Boxster gen 2 - I have also bought from Maundrells so know that there is very little movement on that screen price, but they will sell it.

So at worst case the dealer is making £2k, best case nearer £6k but has a cr*p load of overheads and warranty to include.

A 986 with an equivalent amount of miles is around £7-8k - so approx 10k less - that's a big drop to make for a 986 to be worth more than a 987.

The cheapest 987 under 100k miles on AT today is £9.5k - so with your recent purchase of a 987 for £4.5k you have a decent margin there to cover costs/maintenance and still make a living.

There will always be outliers - cars sold cheaply by people that either aren't too worried or don't know the values, equally there are cars advertised far too high that will never sell in a month of Sundays. WBAC and co have changed the general public's awareness of car prices, covid has sent the market loopy, but prices on the whole still seem to be strong which can only be a good thing for all Boxster owners :)

If i'd held on to my 987.2 S it would have been worth about 3k more than i sold it for - but who knows what bills i could have got in that time too - hindsight is a wonderful thing

1KlNTc9.jpg

Edited by Mattman42
  • Like 2