PVTS fitted on new GTS

martyn

I have been reading on PH etc that the tracking system fitted on the new (and old) Porsche’s is basically a PITA!

I have personally never had a tracker subscription or one activated so am at a bit of a loss with it all.

Numerous accounts of the expensive Vodaphone backed system going wrong necessitating a total reset at the OPC (an all day job). The Having to remember to carry the tracking card every time you take it out or else a phone call from Vodaphone and/or car immobilised!

To rub salt in the wound, apparently more and more insurance companies insist on trackers on >£75k cars.

Never having owned a car in this price bracket and conscious of my GTS order I’m wondering if anyone else has experience of this ‘problem’.

Thanks in advance

Edited by martyn

I can't comment on the PVTS, but I have a (self monitored) Metatrak non starter https://www.metatrak.co.uk in my campervan and it is very good.

I can track, remotely immobilise my van via phone app, and it interfaces with the van alarm and texts me if the alarm goes off.

It's principal use is it prevents stealing the van following a burglary that results in key theft.

If my van were taken with the key and started, I can remotely track the van and shut down the ignition 

Edited by moonshine

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

I can't comment on the PVTS, but I have a (self monitored) Metatrak non starter https://www.metatrak.co.uk in my campervan and it is very good.

I can track, remotely immobilise my van via phone app, and it interfaces with the van alarm and texts me if the alarm goes off.

It's principal use is it prevents stealing the van following a burglary that results in key theft.

If my van were taken with the key and started, I can remotely track the van and shut down the ignition 

Thanks for info,

Had a quick look and it seems exactly what I’m looking for, I don’t fancy having anything to do with the Porsche/Vodaphone tracker, so will find out if this is metatrak system is acceptable to any insurance company that requires a tracker. M

• Like 1

Had the Porsche tracker system on both mine, both were in use until no longer required for insurance purposes.

Never had an issue with it, ever! Only alerts I had were when the trackers fob battery expired or if I forgot the fob! They always called and we received text alerts.

the subscription is now circa. £215/year, it reduces slightly if you by a 3 year cover.

1 hour ago, r1flyguy said:

Had the Porsche tracker system on both mine, both were in use until no longer required for insurance purposes.

Never had an issue with it, ever! Only alerts I had were when the trackers fob battery expired or if I forgot the fob! They always called and we received text alerts.

the subscription is now circa. £215/year, it reduces slightly if you by a 3 year 

Update, been on a comparison insurance site to see if it was as difficult to get cover without a operational tracker as said,  plenty of quotes, cheapest quote Aviva at £283 with £750 excess. 
Next added tracker and only one is cheaper ‘Flow’ insurance at £277 excess £350, Aviva quote unchanged at £283, obviously Aviva are not concerned about a tracker either way…..so I’m really not sure what all the fuss is about on PH. Could be my age (65) is an issue and the younger drivers have to have a working tracker, which is ridiculous!

That’s just p*ssedonheads for you, plenty of drama queens on there!

Once the value of my cars dropped below a certain threshold the tracker was no longer required for insurance, thus I never renewed the subscriptions.

• Haha 1

I know it's not a Porsche but on my Vanquish, Churchill (Oh yes) were not interested in a tracker.  I was surprised with the value but insurance companies are getting wise to the fact that trackers can be found and foiled easily nowadays.

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

Admiral quoted me £10 more a year if I had a tracker !

But insurance companies make it up as they go along so wasn’t surprised.  

Yes I had the similar thing a few years ago, only it was more like £50 extra as they classed it as a modification :lamer:

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, martyn said:

I have been reading on PH etc that the tracking system fitted on the new (and old) Porsche’s is basically a PITA!

I have personally never had a tracker subscription or one activated so am at a bit of a loss with it all.

Numerous accounts of the expensive Vodaphone backed system going wrong necessitating a total reset at the OPC (an all day job). The Having to remember to carry the tracking card every time you take it out or else a phone call from Vodaphone and/or car immobilised!

To rub salt in the wound, apparently more and more insurance companies insist on trackers on >£75k cars.

Never having owned a car in this price bracket and conscious of my GTS order I’m wondering if anyone else has experience of this ‘problem’.

Thanks in advance

Yep a total pita 

on top of the problems with resetting the software that required a visit to opc, they then changed the app without notification. An oversight apparently. 
it’s a small price to pay for driving a lovely car but surely Porsche can come up with a better solution by now 

Porsche OPC struggling to get the Vodafone tracker (+ connected services) working on my Boxster so checked with Aviva, and as above, no price difference without tracker so that will save me subscribing. Car value is in excess of £75k so clearly that is not an issue either