Torn

Chukkieegg

OK so I have put plenty of posts up about issues I have had with my 2.5 anyway being realastic I do need to change it one thing 3years of owning a boxster has got me hooked on driving and owning a porsche. 

Anyway I have seen a 987 I am interested and with a bit of put and take could manage to buy it but I have also seen pics of a 986 a facelift which I like the look of so which way do I go? 

They are both 2.7s as an s is not viable as a daily for me the 986 is cheaper but I was impressed by a 987 I drove couple of months ago. 

So torn which way to go

For me if the 986 was the first generation totally original I would have gone for that as a weekend car (but it isn’t and not what you are after if looking for a daily).

So for me it has to be the 987. Superior build quality, more power and refined for an everyday car. 

You asked this in the 986 forum ;) 

987 is more refined, “better screwed together“, quieter with a thicker roof.   Question is, do you want that?

Also, if you are talking about particular cars, not just generally, then which one is in better mechanical condition?

The 986 has less miles than the 987 but both have full service history

There is roughly 3.5k price difference but I would get a better trade in on the 987 as its a used car plot that sells a lot of secondhand porsche's In my area

The 986  from the pics looks to be in good condition but is about an hour and 1/2 away  so I think worth a look 

I’d take condition over mileage. Both cars will have some years on them now, so if it were me I’d be looking into what has been refreshed over and above servicing , suspension, coolant pipes etc 

Good luck on whatever you decide. 

Why is n S not a viable daily?  The combination of more torque and 6 speeds makes it lazier to driver if you want it to be.  I imagine fuel consumption could be an issue but even when driven steadily rather than pushed on the open road it isn't the worst for a 3 litre sports car..

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Why is n S not a viable daily?  The combination of more torque and 6 speeds makes it lazier to driver if you want it to be.  I imagine fuel consumption could be an issue but even when driven steadily rather than pushed on the open road it isn't the worst for a 3 litre sports car..

Don't get me wrong I would love an s but on 16 miles a day think it will be too heavy on fuel plus I think due to it emissions of 255 co it will put it into the £615 tax bracket whereas a 2.7 will stay at the £340 tax band all that's my undetstanding

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Might depend on which year S. Emissions are funny like that. 

Interesting I think it's a bit of a minefield but a car plot has an 03 s for sale and his vid on car reckons £615 for tax and that's a tiptronic so bit confused 😂 

Tiptronic: another confounding factor!

I think the 2.7s also depend on whether they chose the 6 speed option. And the slight power hike from MY2006. 

Minefield :) 

Edited by Menoporsche

20 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

Don't get me wrong I would love an s but on 16 miles a day think it will be too heavy on fuel plus I think due to it emissions of 255 co it will put it into the £615 tax bracket whereas a 2.7 will stay at the £340 tax band all that's my undetstanding

Forgot that minor detail, having gone for a 2000 S, it only costs £270 VED!

So just looked on gov website and if a car is registered before March 2006 but over 225 on emissions then it will be £340 if I have read it right 

And when I change want to jump more than couple years on reg

9 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Some here are proud to own the magic 2006 car, late enough to have the stronger IMS, early enough to have the cheaper tax bill. 

Ace but I know s prices are strong at mo I can afford to get into 987 but an 987s is out of my price range ao i can afford a good 986.2

Edited by Chukkieegg

So the 986 is a 2002 plate so I would be going up 4years but only has 87000 miles but bar aircon spec wise it's a base model like my 2.5 although it has 12month ticket it need 4cv boots and has exhaust leak so that's puts me off a bit but it's a nice colour with gt rims I think 

So the 987 has 106000 on the clock but is an 05 and has a 6speed box from factory

5 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

Cruise, PASM, heated seats. No xenons. And a cocoa interior with a black car - that's rare. (Good or bad, you choose). Are they sports seats, with the seat belt holders?

And what wheels are those??

I can't comment on the 986.

Both could be improved on - what's your budget for refresh ? 

986. Tired looking roof, mixed brand tyres, wheels need attention if kerbing bothers you, MOT advisories suggesting it will need a new exhaust and needs the drive shaft advisories attended to.

987. No "roof up" photos of the roof. Shock absorber and brake pipe MOT advisories.  PASM = expensive shocks. Are those original 987 wheels ? Can't see tyre brand.

Have you sounded out sellers to what refresh work if any has been done to sort the MOT advisories and is there any history on any other refresh, suspension, coolant pipes etc ?

Again personally I'd lean towards the 987 but depends on your budget for fixing the issues too if the seller wont sort/budge on pricing.

Edited by iborguk

@iborguk

The 987 is at the max of my budget I have seen it with roof up the 986 would be below budget but allready worked out about mot bits just not clicked about roof and i think thats decided it I think the 987 not expecting a mint car but it appears the way car market is a 10k car would now be classed as a Bangor and i think it will only get worse

@Menoporschenot sure the 987 has cruise or pasm but then I don't know much about 987's I just know 6speed box was factory fitted so must of been an option when new and i do like the interior no idea on the rims

1 minute ago, Chukkieegg said:

@iborguk

The 987 is at the max of my budget I have seen it with roof up the 986 would be below budget but allready worked out about mot bits just not clicked about roof and i think thats decided it I think the 987 not expecting a mint car but it appears the way car market is a 10k car would now be classed as a Bangor and i think it will only get worse

@Menoporschenot sure the 987 has cruise or pasm but then I don't know much about 987's I just know 6speed box was factory fitted so must of been an option when new and i do like the interior no idea on the rims

Cool - sounds like we may have helped the thinking, neither looks a banger , just need some spend.

Eagle eyed @Menoporsche spotted the cruise stalk (lower left on the Sports steering wheel) and the PASM (shock absorber icon) on the controls below the Climate Control.

Good luck with the purchase.