Recovery insurance in Spain

Have purchased (and used...!) AA European cover - the only "age" requirement at the time was that the car was in good mechanical condition or words to that effect.

As mentioned I had reason to use them in Italy and the AA guys in the UK were brilliant - local service was good too.

A definite, experience based recommendation for AA European cover from me - but double check their current T&Cs first.

Edited by map
Typo

17 minutes ago, BrianJ said:

Just googled "classic car european breakdown cover". Lots come up including https://www.gocompare.com/breakdown-cover/classic-car/. Not tried any but might give some options. Good luck.

Just tried this for my 2005 Boxster and it declined to provide any quotes.  Not old enough be a classic? Too old?

The RAC has quoted £107 for my 5 day trip to Le Mans which seems expensive but so far I have no other option.

Packaged bank account??

My nationwide flex plus covers car (with AA), mobile phones and travel insurance for £13 a month.  

Nothing about car age in t&c’s and covers European travel, home start etc. 

The bank account package might not be for everyone, but works out well for us for what it covers.

On 5/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, Menoporsche said:

Sounds tidy. I tried washing mine, got into trouble. 

Money laundering? interesting, unfortunately my bank does not seem to offer that service 😀

Edited by 987RG

On 5/29/2022 at 9:25 PM, 987RG said:

Money laundering? interesting, unfortunately my bank does not seem to offer that service 😀

And if you try it they'll hang you out to dry.

(If you get convicted of any financial related crime/proceeds of crime and Nationwide will expel you as a member and close down all your accounts, so not kidding!)

• Haha 1

On a serious note, if you are a Gold AA member (over 5 years??) you get 2 day's Euro cover free on policies up to 3 times in a year.  Silver members get 1 day free.  That said it isn't the cheapest cover but as reported above when you need it, that's when it needs to be good like all insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, 987RG said:

Packaged bank account??

My nationwide flex plus covers car (with AA), mobile phones and travel insurance for £13 a month.  

Nothing about car age in t&c’s and covers European travel, home start etc. 

The bank account package might not be for everyone, but works out well for us for what it covers.

I know the bank I was with had an age limit of 16 years so it will depend on the bank and you'll need to check the terms :) 

On 5/27/2022 at 3:27 PM, Gdaybruce said:

Just tried this for my 2005 Boxster and it declined to provide any quotes.  Not old enough be a classic? Too old?

The RAC has quoted £107 for my 5 day trip to Le Mans which seems expensive but so far I have no other option.

Just looked at cover for a trip to Zone 1 (France in this case) and with AA membership 10% discount works out at £101 for 8 days for a 22 year old 986.  A shorter 4 day trip to Zone 1 (France, Belgium and Netherlands in this case) an was £62.  I need to call them to get the Gold benefit applied to those prices.