DRL s on !

Boxer boy

Seen the book and used the stalk etc .

The head lights ( big upper outer in the module ) and the discrete what appears to be LED DRLs in the bumper come on as well .

I think the rear LEDs also come on as well ?

It’s a 09 MY gen 2 .

Was wondering since 2014 modal yr these became a legal requirement in the U.K. ,others( normal cars not 987s )  seem to only have the smaller  bumper lights on , which lets face it is enough.I think the bumper mounted + the head lights is a bit overkill .

Is there a hack of setting this up ? 

• Like 1

From a PIWIS you can code DRL's to be either the LED's or the dipped beam on a 987.2,   thats with regular halogens, if you have bi-xenon's or PDLS then its different, the front DRL's are bigger and replace the front fogs altogther. ( no front fogs with bi-xenon) 

I have a feeling that if the dipped beam is coded to be DRL, then the rears come on as well ( can't be sure of that - I don't have one anymore) - so perhaps the leds as well.

Where abouts in the country are you - there maybe someone nearby with the appropriate kit to recode it for you.?

I am in E York’s .

When I switch to side lights ( DRL s on ) the head lights turn off and only the LED strip in the bumper is on which is what I want .The rear LEDs never go out unless the DLR function is off from the stalk .

So I will do that seems pointless running everything up front in broad daylight .

The inner of the main cluster is full beam .It’s was just the larger arguably too bright in daylight outer light on n the main cluster  I wanted off .

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, Paul P said:

From a PIWIS you can code DRL's to be either the LED's or the dipped beam on a 987.2,   thats with regular halogens, if you have bi-xenon's or PDLS then its different, the front DRL's are bigger and replace the front fogs altogther. ( no front fogs with bi-xenon) 

I have a feeling that if the dipped beam is coded to be DRL, then the rears come on as well ( can't be sure of that - I don't have one anymore) - so perhaps the leds as well.

Where abouts in the country are you - there maybe someone nearby with the appropriate kit to recode it for you.?

Evening,

So if I can find someone locally with PIWIS I can then have my 987.2 re coded for front LED’s on and headlights off?

thx

7 hours ago, Sentinel261 said:

Evening,

So if I can find someone locally with PIWIS I can then have my 987.2 re coded for front LED’s on and headlights off?

thx

If you are prepared to take a trip to Maidenhead (about an hour for you?) you will find @Richard Hamilton is an expert PIWIS user. Message him and set up to meet him.

9 hours ago, Sentinel261 said:

Evening,

thx

On my 987.2 you could do this in the car menus. Ignition on, DRLs. on. Sides on DLRs are off. Dipped beams on with sides,DLRs are off. My car had PDSL, not sure if that changes things.  It was just some check boxes in the car menu.

• Thanks 1

Met with Richard Hamilton yesterday, he’s very helpful and knowledgeable and has a great bag of tricks.

We managed to reconfigure the DLR’s; from headlights and rear lights on to just using the fog lights on as DLR and rear lights off.

My car has the LED DLR option 605 on its build spec and indeed the LED strips are there at bottom of the fog lights (they are also the side lights when switched from light switch along with rear lights on).

As much and as many configurations tried with PIWIS we could not activate the LED’s to run as DLR. (ie front side lights on and rears off)

Any thoughts chaps?

thx

T

(ps. Did manage to get my iPhone connected via blue tooth module which is a great win)

My 987.2 has halogens. I didn’t get as far as asking Richard, but I couldn’t find anything online that suggested there was any way to use the LED sidelights as DRLs (i.e. having the front sidelights on without also dimming the instruments and switching the PCM to night mode) so I did the ‘Fog Light as DRL’ hack on mine - there’s a how to thread on here somewhere - with low output LED bulbs fitted to the fog lights. Easy to do, cheap, works well and seemed like a good compromise.

17 hours ago, IroningMan said:

My 987.2 has halogens. I didn’t get as far as asking Richard, but I couldn’t find anything online that suggested there was any way to use the LED sidelights as DRLs (i.e. having the front sidelights on without also dimming the instruments and switching the PCM to night mode) so I did the ‘Fog Light as DRL’ hack on mine - there’s a how to thread on here somewhere - with low output LED bulbs fitted to the fog lights. Easy to do, cheap, works well and seemed like a good compromise.

My previous 987.2 had halogens.  
And led strip in the fog lights that were drl. Think the rear lights were on as well - I didn’t see that as an issue - they are led as well and I didn’t see any problem with having them on.  

You could disable drl from the menu in the car if you wanted to  

i played with PIWIS and was able to switch to ( I think ) side lights as drl - didn’t check the rears just wanted to see what the function did.  

the led drl strip never lit up in any other scenario so I assumed that was how it was “supposed” to be otherwise they were unused.  

current one has pdls. Different light setup.  No front fogs at all ( apparently not required for bi xenon headlights ) and a much larger set of led drls (which at  night are much brighter than the side lights ) pretty sure rears are on as well again not seeing that as a problem  

think my daily does the same re front and rear