New windscreen needed.

earley231186

Had screens replaced in my 987.1 (Autoglass and original Porsche screen) and 987.2 (OPC, well probably their subby). Can’t remember if the seal is integrated on the 987.1 screen, worth checking and if not integrated what they are intending to fit….and obviously worth checking what screen options they can fit , aftermarket only or Porsche original…I know which one I would want.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

Saint Gobain are the Porsche OE supplier but if you go to insurance (assuming it is broken) you may get Pilkington who are also an OE supplier to many other brands so both should be of equal quality.  Just make sure tint, sun tint strip and any in glass aerials are as per you original, there are 9 part numbers for screens listed in the parts catalogue depending on the build options.  That said it is more down to fitter than glass to get a good job.  They are bonded in as most modern cars are, so no special processes. 

Your DAB aerial should peel off carefully, but it is more difficult to reapply as the adhesive film is usually useless after being peeled off, replacements are not that expensive.

• Like 1

I had mine done by Autoglass. They insisted (due to it being a Porsche) that I went to the local branch rather than have it done on the driveway, but other than that, it went well

For the sake of a tenner & 15mins of work, I’d replace the DAB aerial. 

• Like 1

Recently went through this with National Windscreens.  I asked for, and the insurer agreed, to replace with OEM glass (Aviva).

Took 3 attempts before it was finally fitted properly on the 4th.

1st - didn't fit properly, very obvious height gaps almost like it wasn't the correct glass (ie looking at the top edge it was low in the middle and high on each side).  New glass required.

2nd - fit looked fine but the mirror was loose.  As it has rain sensors this meant it had to be new glass. 

3rd - didn't fit properly at all so the installer removed it and reinstalled the original glass, advised that it would need to be taken to the centre.

4th - took to the centre and they reinstalled the 3rd glass and fit is fine.

Overall, despite the hassle, I can't really fault National Windscreens as they saw the job through until I was satisfied.

Sorry, this probably doesn't inspire confidence!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 7:52 PM, Nath said:

Recently went through this with National Windscreens.  I asked for, and the insurer agreed, to replace with OEM glass (Aviva).

Took 3 attempts before it was finally fitted properly on the 4th.

1st - didn't fit properly, very obvious height gaps almost like it wasn't the correct glass (ie looking at the top edge it was low in the middle and high on each side).  New glass required.

2nd - fit looked fine but the mirror was loose.  As it has rain sensors this meant it had to be new glass. 

3rd - didn't fit properly at all so the installer removed it and reinstalled the original glass, advised that it would need to be taken to the centre.

4th - took to the centre and they reinstalled the 3rd glass and fit is fine.

Overall, despite the hassle, I can't really fault National Windscreens as they saw the job through until I was satisfied.

Sorry, this probably doesn't inspire confidence!

Just had my screen done here. It looks good and seems to be uniform however  Terrible wind noise along the top. 

Tried calling them but now can't get through. So I've spoken to there main office. 

20 minutes ago, earley231186 said:

Just had my screen done here. It looks good and seems to be uniform however  Terrible wind noise along the top. 

Tried calling them but now can't get through. So I've spoken to there main office. 

Put some tape across the top until they fix it. Wind noise means a gap and possible water ingress. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, earley231186 said:

Guy who fitted it was really sound. Went back he was very apologetic and said he will get it sorted. 

He will order a new screen and replace if needs be. Going back in 10 days for a refit. 

Fingers crossed. 

The right response, good luck getting it sorted.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, had the new screen fitted Friday. 

The wind noise is totally eradicated and back to how it should be. 

Guy who did it said that he tried to refit the first one and wasn't happy with it. 

Fitted another new screen (pilkingtons) and said it slotted straight in perfectly. 

The first screen must of been warped in some way. 

Anyway Boxster is back to its former glory and having a screen that's not 17 years old makes a massive difference. It's like driving in HD now haha. 

Can't fault National Windscreens for there service. 

• Like 3