987.2 timing chain stretched?

BoxstrAl

I had a tick on my 987.2 S which I was told was a sticky lifter. I put some of the Wynns lifter fluid stuff in and have it a damn good thrashing and it went away over the space of a 100 miles or so.

like others, not heard of chain stretch before and not sure how a stretch would result in metal in the oil? 🤔

5 hours ago, BoxstrAl said:

Is there a diagnostic/OBD tool that’s available for that?  I know the PIWIS scanner will but that’s expensive!

Good question. Someone here with a foxwell or similar will no doubt know - I've got a cheapy ebay scanner that doesn't do much.

Me I'd nip into the indy but possibly not the one who told me about the chain....

5 hours ago, BoxstrAl said:

Is there a diagnostic/OBD tool that’s available for that?  I know the PIWIS scanner will but that’s expensive!

Durametric?  Cheaper than PIWIS but still a touch pricey.

So finally got a reply from the garage.  They said the metal particles were ferrous/magnetic and they have had 3 9A1 engines with similar issues over 4 years.

Now this has really confused me as surely if the timing has stretched and the intermittent tick is the chain touching the casing then the metal particles should be non-ferrous ie alloy.

Ferrous particles indicate a bearing going or sprockets.  Think I'm going to run it for 500 miles and then get the oil inspected, lets hope it survives that long 😬

1 hour ago, BoxstrAl said:

They said the metal particles were ferrous/magnetic and they have had 3 9A1 engines with similar issues over 4 years.

Without knowing their turnover, that makes it sound like a relatively rare event.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, BoxstrAl said:

If you indicate your location then there might be someone nearby who can help with the right kit. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/12/2022 at 4:34 AM, BoxstrAl said:

So finally got a reply from the garage.  They said the metal particles were ferrous/magnetic and they have had 3 9A1 engines with similar issues over 4 years.

Now this has really confused me as surely if the timing has stretched and the intermittent tick is the chain touching the casing then the metal particles should be non-ferrous ie alloy.

Ferrous particles indicate a bearing going or sprockets.  Think I'm going to run it for 500 miles and then get the oil inspected, lets hope it survives that long 😬

Any results?  What happened???

• 3 weeks later...

I also havent heard of 'stretch' to affect gen 2, sounds like a bit of scare mongering from the garage imho .

There is a good youtube tear down of a gen 1 987 and rebuild which the guy diagnoses and finds a sticking lifter which is a cam out fix but its just damping so if it were me i wouldnt do it.

look for funahead boxster on youtube..

• 1 month later...