What Anti- theft measures do you recommend?

Jimbo1998

Just use a steering lock if you want to slow them down. It's a visual enough deterrent to allow them to walk to the next car. 

Not sure how much they ever were. Can't remember the last time I heard someone's car was stolen.

Anyway, the amount we have to pay to get a new key / to get in when the battery is flat, suggests they aren't so simple to deal with.

• Like 1

986s already have the best theft deterrent - a physical key, that goes in a physical lock and turns. none of this keyless entry/keyless start malarkey. if you want to nick an old boxster, you'll need to do it the old fashioned way - either pick the door look/smash the window/slash the roof to get in, and then pick the ignition barrel to get the car started. All of which are pretty visible/noisy things to do, especially while an alarm is going off (though those mostly get ignored these days, since so many old cars have dodgy old alarm systems)

any crim wanting to nick a car will likely be doing it by hacking someones keyless start system. and targeting a car worth a lot more than an old boxster.

Minor correction; picking the ignition lock might unlock the steering but won't allow starting the engine.  The thief may be able to crank the engine but he would have to defeat the immobiliser to get the engine to start and run, and this requires a key with the correctly coded security "pill" embedded in the key fob. 

1 hour ago, tonyplymouth said:

Minor correction; picking the ignition lock might unlock the steering but won't allow starting the engine.  The thief may be able to crank the engine but he would have to defeat the immobiliser to get the engine to start and run, and this requires a key with the correctly coded security "pill" embedded in the key fob. 

All very true but if the would be thief doesn't know this but proceeds to smash window and damage steering wheel and column etc in the vain hope of hot wiring it then you've just got a damaged car. If they saw something like a steering lock, as easy as some can be to remove you'd hope they walk to the next car. 

Nothing, in fact I often leave my cars open by mistake. On occasion if the Boxster alarm has gone off due to wind or low battery etc late at night, i'll just cover it up and leave it open until the next day.

If someone wants to steal a 20 year old car, they will steal it. 

(I do live in a sleepy road with relatively low crime out in the country though.) 

I'd imagine a 986 wouldn't be on anyone's radar to steal, it's not worth enough to bother. I too removed the cr*p locking wheel nuts, that's a lot of effort to steal £400 worth of wheels. Besides, I once jacked my car up without unlocking the car and the alarm went off. They are basically after a whole car or smash the window and grab something they can see, unless you live in Liverpool, then they might nick ya wheels. Keep the car clear of anything visible through the window and you are fine. 

They're mostly after the keyless entry cars these days (cars that sell for 30k+ on a used market, not many 986s fit that), where they clone your key at the front door and drive away. 

I have a sprint booster which I didn’t buy for security but it does have a lock option that I use.  When locked the car will still start with the key but the accelerator doesn’t work until your personal code is entered.  Technically the car could still be stolen with the key but it would be a slow getaway using engine revs only!

I’ve also just bought a cabrioshield cover which I suppose also doubles as a bit of security since it’s locked on the car by the closed doors and boot making the car a bit less accessible.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

I expect it’s more likely to find you ‘cats’ have disappeared! 

You have clearly never taken the cats off a 986!

The only ones nicked generally are the ones on an inline front to rear exhaust as they can get under the car with a disc cutter and whip them away quickly.

6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

You have clearly never taken the cats off a 986!

The only ones nicked generally are the ones on an inline front to rear exhaust as they can get under the car with a disc cutter and whip them away quickly.

You are correct I never have! 

On 11/8/2022 at 9:08 PM, Shazbot said:

986 do not get stolen. Not worth it as limited market for parts, not worth a lot as  a car, two seater so no good for ram raiding unlike Audi S3 or Golf R. Pikeys love them for a bit of smash and grab then bait the old bill.

Pretty much this... Cars that get stolen typically have a high ROI for said thief and when you can buy a whole 986 for circa £5k its not worth their time.  

Ainsley Harriott riding shotgun is a proven deterrent, used by a number of 986 owners.

1. Successfully scares off passersby / members of the public / mechanics
2. None of our cars have been stolen

He's even Thatcham approved.

IMG_20200614_082902

Edited by K.I.T.T.
  • Haha 4