Boxster 718 GTS 4.0 deposit paid today.

JurassicBGTS

After months of agonising, I have finally paid a deposit on a Boxster 718 GTS 4.0

In discussion with my SE, delivery is looking around late 2024 which would tie in perfectly with the expected run out of the model for the new EV early 2025.

Fortunately I can now spec LEDs, ACC and speed limit indicator although the later is still only allowed in the OPC system not Joe Public's.

Will be really sad to see my current 981 go, but still have a couple of years to enjoy that sound 😀

http://www.porsche-code.com/PP2UR6I5

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, hopz121 said:

lovely spec, the only thing i would change is the PASM to -20mm otherwise its great and will be a lovely car :)

Did consider that, but even with the PASM on my 981, I have to be so careful over the 3 speed ramps in my road.

• Like 1

I had a 90 minute play in a BGTS 4.0 PDK at a SW OPC yesterday.
It was 90 minutes drive from me also, so I had a real chance to compare to my 981 both before and after the test drive.
The OPC were great, basically went out with me to fuel the car then just gave me the keys.
So onto my views of the car.

Exterior: It is still a very pretty car, I love the satin black wheels, particularly on a light coloured car. I do still prefer the front wings and lights on the 981, just slightly less angular than on the 718.

Interior: I really don't think they have improved on the 981, the dash is less cohesive. I am not a fan of the stick up vents and forward position of the chrono clock and whilst the new position of the sport/sport plus control is close/handy , without my reading glasses I struggled to see which mode it was in, but the little button in the middle is great. It also leaves too many spare buttons in the central panel.
The 981 GTS seats have leather side bolsters, which I prefer to the full Alcantara bolsters on the 718.

Driving: Wow! This engine is superb. It pulls from any revs and is a real step up from the 3.4, which it should be with 400 bhp, but even so the performance surprised me. I agree with what most posters say about the noise though, it does sound good but not in the same league as the 981 3.4. It wouldn't put me off buying one it just sounds a bit more mature! On this car there was an odd fluttering type sound at around 2k revs.
The suspension seemed firmer, this car had the -20 setup, maybe the -10 is a little more forgiving, but it still gave a lovely ride. I did bottom out on a couple of rough road patches.

Overall I do like the package it and will probably go forward with my eventual new order. This car didn't have a good enough specification to encourage me to buy and driving my 981 back made me realise how b****y great it is and that I wouldn't swap it for a used 718. It would only be the opportunity to spec and own a brand new car right at the end of the production run and ICE that will get me to move on.

The above is purely my thoughts and I am sure others will both strongly disagree and agree, but just thought I would share.

7 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

It was 90 minutes drive from me also, so I had a real chance to compare to my 981 both before and after the test drive.
The OPC were great, basically went out with me to fuel the car then just gave me the keys.

Exterior: It is still a very pretty car, I love the satin black wheels, particularly on a light coloured car. I do still prefer the front wings and lights on the 981, just slightly less angular than on the 718.

Interior: I really don't think they have improved on the 981, the dash is less cohesive. I am not a fan of the stick up vents and forward position of the chrono clock and whilst the new position of the sport/sport plus control is close/handy , without my reading glasses I struggled to see which mode it was in, but the little button in the middle is great. It also leaves too many spare buttons in the central panel.
The 981 GTS seats have leather side bolsters, which I prefer to the full Alcantara bolsters on the 718.

Driving: Wow! This engine is superb. It pulls from any revs and is a real step up from the 3.4, which it should be with 400 bhp, but even so the performance surprised me. I agree with what most posters say about the noise though, it does sound good but not in the same league as the 981 3.4. It wouldn't put me off buying one it just sounds a bit more mature! On this car there was an odd fluttering type sound at around 2k revs.
The suspension seemed firmer, this car had the -20 setup, maybe the -10 is a little more forgiving, but it still gave a lovely ride. I did bottom out on a couple of rough road patches.

Overall I do like the package it and will probably go forward with my eventual new order. This car didn't have a good enough specification to encourage me to buy and driving my 981 back made me realise how b****y great it is and that I wouldn't swap it for a used 718. It would only be the opportunity to spec and own a brand new car right at the end of the production run and ICE that will get me to move on.

The above is purely my thoughts and I am sure others will both strongly disagree and agree, but just thought I would share.

The fluttering sound could have been your wallet mentally emptying.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JurassicGTS said:

Sounds like a fare review and pretty much what I expected.

I think they are both great cars and I’m sure there are many improvements on the 718 but personally I prefer the look and the sound of the 981 GTS. You mentioned you preferred the front of the 981, I actually like the new front end but I’m still not sold on back end😂 I’m sure it will grow on me over time👍

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BarrySt said:

for me the biggest driving difference from 981 to 718 was the huge improvement in steering feel. You didn't mention that @JurrasicGTS ?

I agree its night and day in my experience, brakes feel better as well on the 718! 

1 hour ago, hopz121 said:

I agree its night and day in my experience, brakes feel better as well on the 718! 

Strange, I felt it was lighter than my 981, so much so that I have taken PSP off my specification sheet, which the test car had. Agree on the brakes certainly.

One thing I noticed on the Python Green one I tested was that the tyres, particularly the rears, seemed to be stretched over the rims exposing the wheels to kerbing, which 3 of the 4 had been. The salesman said that it's all to do with the change in offset and using the same width tyre. This was on Pirellis, looking at photos of cars on A/T they mainly seem to be on Michelins, which look more normal and with some rim protection.

I will post a picture once loaded onto Flikr.

3 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

Thanks, much more rim protection on those Michelins and they don't look anywhere near as stretched on the rims...or is that just the BGTS 4.0 wheel configuration?

Can't comment on the BGTS rims. FYI and comparison mine is a 718 base model with 20 inch Carrera's.

22 hours ago, Patt said:

Offset has nothing to do with tyre fitment !

Offset is basically where the centre of the wheel sits.

GTS has the same 20" wheel as the 981, ie 20x 10 on the rear with 265/35 tyre.

Correct, having listened to him I really should have challenged him on this, but couldn't be bothered.