Why does a 911 (997) engine sound better than a Boxster?

moospeed

I’m not talking about exhaust noise because frankly the PSE 981 sounds great in that respect, also not induction, it’s the mechanical gnashing I’m referring to.

The engine noise itself, from outside as a 911 drives past. I know they are different model engines, the 997 (I think .1 is what I’m referring specifically to) is decades older, but even so it’s still the same basic flat six.  It has definite echoes of the old air cooled unit whereas the Boxster isn’t even close to that.

I did wonder if it’s the fact the engine is more hidden away under more bodywork in a Boxster but if so then that’s helluva lot of noise shielding to have it sound so different.

The 911 engine is right at the back of the car, with the gearbox in front. Boxster engine is hidden away more with the gearbox at the rear of the car.

I'd think it's do with that and different exhaust lengths and catalytic converter positioning.

Yeah as mentioned I can’t see how it can be totally down to the more exposed position of the engine. It’s not that much hidden away, the different exhaust length may have something to do with it though it does seem more a mechanical sound than the noise coming out the pipes.

But it still doesn't explain eh original observation that an M96 engine in a 986 sounds different from an M96 in a 996, and likewise with the M97 motor.  The only obvious difference is a few cc capacity and the different exhaust systems but they sound very different at slow drive by speeds, the 911 versions are more 'wooffly'.

• Like 1

Talk to a sound recordist and they will talk day and night about the variable factors for sound and hear things  that the untrained ear never does. Similar for musicians, its uncanny. I think they would say it is the combination of all the things mentioned above and dial in a few psychological factors too.  For many folk all cars just sound noisy and unpleasant.

Talk to a sound recordist and they will talk day and night about the variable factors for sound and hear things  that the untrained ear never does. Similar for musicians, its uncanny. I think they would say it is the combination of all the things mentioned above and dial in a few psychological factors too.  For many folk all cars just sound noisy and unpleasant.

the 911 has less to insulate the mechanical sounds from the rear.  There is only a bumper between engine and your ear - the 981 has a boot as well.  Thus it resonates better, although nowhere near as much as an air cooled car.

I have a friend with a 991 and he always says mine sounds better in the car, his from outside. I tend to agree, and I am more interested in me enjoyment of the car, than those not in the car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patt said:

the 911 has less to insulate the mechanical sounds from the rear.  There is only a bumper between engine and your ear - the 981 has a boot as well.  Thus it resonates better, although nowhere near as much as an air cooled car.

I have a friend with a 991 and he always says mine sounds better in the car, his from outside. I tend to agree, and I am more interested in me enjoyment of the car, than those not in the car.

The 991 is mostly all sound symposer from inside the cockpit. There are two pipes that come into the rear it's actually a tad too much imho. Much prefer the sound of the 981 it's right behind you and more natural even with the single pipe symposer.

42 minutes ago, Patt said:

nope GTS add on.

It's cheaper, and better sound to fit aftermarket air filters.

If you have a GTS, then it's zero cost. Sounds OK on mine, certainly better than he awful sound of £££ being removed from your wallet for a pair of air filters!

Edited by andygo

True that - however I had no issues with warranty claims as most of the things that fail are not engine related.

And despite what the condescending office staff tell you in the showroom, they do not refuse to work on your car if you have installed radiator grills etc.

5 hours ago, Patt said:

True that - however I had no issues with warranty claims as most of the things that fail are not engine related.

And despite what the condescending office staff tell you in the showroom, they do not refuse to work on your car if you have installed radiator grills etc.

Funny you mention rad grilles, I have just fitted a set of Zunsports this week. I used a Porsche Club discount code which I found on their site. Saved me 20%!  :)

I got fed up of the Zunsport triggering the parking sensors so I made my own for about £10 and fitted from inside the bumper.

Sold the full set on here for about £80, including the side vents and rears too.