987 shifter (now sold)?

Boxsum

Anyone on here buy the 987 shifter listed in ‘For sale’ ?

Would be a nice picture guide to show throw before and after pictures with measurements. I’m sure many would appreciate this 👍 I would for sure as pondering on this or the original short shift fitted to the anniversary.

3 hours ago, Boxsum said:

I’m sure many would appreciate this 👍 I would for sure as pondering on this or the original short shift fitted to the anniversary.

Quite a few on here have done it with near-unanimous positive views. If you want it, do it.  I think nearly all love the 987, most like the cheap ebay short shift though a few have described it as a bit notchy and sometimes tricky to get into second(?) particularly when the box is cold.

10 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Quite a few on here have done it with near-unanimous positive views. If you want it, do it.  I think nearly all love the 987, most like the cheap ebay short shift though a few have described it as a bit notchy and sometimes tricky to get into second(?) particularly when the box is cold.

The 986S 6 speed box is almost always baulky into second when cold, whatever shifter you have.

Hi - I bought this item.

The gearchange on my car, especially downshifting to second is rubbish - hope this improves this..

I will do a write up with images when the weather's warmer and i get around to fitting it.

Also - my next steps are 'box oil flush, cable easing / greasing, clutch pedal helper spring replacement and finally clutch / flywheel replacement..

• Like 1

I swapped out the original 986 shifter for a short shifter and it was a lot tighter more exact change but it also felt a bit notchity (don't think thats even a word!) so I changed to the 987 shifter and I like that much more its not notchy and feels right, it improved the overall experience of driving/changing gear, go for it.

I have posted previously on the 4 or 5 different shifters I fitted to Molly on here.

I ended up with a 987 shifter , modified to the GT3 spec and also changed the knob to the 997/987 as I preferred it's feel.

I will always recommend the 987 over the ebay copies of the B&M short shift kit.

There are plenty of pictures and videos already on the web showing the differences, however please keep in mind these will vary from car to car due to it's age and use etc. as these are cable driven mechanisms. 

3 hours ago, marcusjd said:

Hi - I bought this item.

The gearchange on my car, especially downshifting to second is rubbish - hope this improves this..

I will do a write up with images when the weather's warmer and i get around to fitting it.

Also - my next steps are 'box oil flush, cable easing / greasing, clutch pedal helper spring replacement and finally clutch / flywheel replacement..

Great look forward to it 👍

23 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

Anyone on here with a short shift that was standard fit on the anniversary? 

Yes although mine is modified with the @jimk04 bearings. @Patt has driven mine and vice versa. 

14 hours ago, edc said:

Yes although mine is modified with the @jimk04 bearings. @Patt has driven mine and vice versa. 

What were your thoughts as opposed to the 997 standard shift? 

I have been quoted for these 3 options from Porsche.

1) 99742240100 £160 standard

2) 99742498300 £313 997 short

3) 98642401004 £340 986 short

Unsure which to go for ? Just want a shorter shift that isn’t notchy.

2 hours ago, Boxsum said:

In that case the 997 is the one to go for, most bang for buck I'd suggest and as many of us like it least risk of it being too extreme for you.  I suspect the 986 short shift is possibly much the same as the standard 987 shift, so may be not worth the extra pennies....  Ask them for the green centring bracket/tool to make sure the lever is in the correct place when you reconnect the cables, and make sure the 'box in an a good neutral position before you disconnect.

4 minutes ago, Cybot7 said:

I had the 997 shifter on my 996.1 and it was well worth it. I’m currently in possession of a 987 shifter which Trooper 88 is fitting next week.  Can’t wait. 

996 and 986 shifter are the same part numbers, as are 997/987 so the effect should be very similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're used to an old 986 shift then all of the above will be a noticeable improvement. 986 shortshift is very similar to the 987 standard shift but feels a tad smoother. All are a bit tighter with the aftermarket bush mods. My car also had new cables. 

On 1/20/2023 at 1:43 PM, Boxsum said:

In order of preference:

2 - 1 - 3 for a daily driver.

Like Ed, I also put new cables in as one snapped.

I'd also recommend changing the gearbox oil - Porsche state its "lifetime" I disagree.

+1 on the gearbox oil change. Made the change to 2nd a bit less baulky when cold.  And also 20 year oil gear oil can't be at it's peak, although my indy did comment mine was still in pretty good shape when it was drained, no stale smell etc at 90k miles and 18 years. I suppose the real test would have been a proper analysis.

7 hours ago, Patt said:

In order of preference:

2 - 1 - 3 for a daily driver.

Like Ed, I also put new cables in as one snapped.

I'd also recommend changing the gearbox oil - Porsche state its "lifetime" I disagree.

Thankyou, is the 997 short-shift yet again noticeably different to the standard 997? Worth the extra pennies? 

Edited by Boxsum

The throw was only slightly shorter on the GT3 version, but it was more direct in it's selection due to plastic parts being replaced by metal parts.

Ed and I both upgraded to the metal bearings and the difference was so slight between 997 and 987 SS.  The OEM short shift was slightly more notchy than the standard, and that was about it.

Ed's car was a weekend warrior, mine was a daily so we both were delighted once I had swapped out to the metal "GT3" linkages.  These reduced the slop on both.

I picked up the 997 shifter was  £60-80 back then on ebay.

• Thanks 1

Fortunately I have a Ferrari ( 1976 ) GT4 for a reference.Enzo s mid engined shifter is a metal rod that passes through the sump to the rear mounted box .On this very rod are the forks .You often read words like “rifle bolt “ and that’s exactly what it feels like .

So tbh jumping into my stretchy cable nylon bushed ( or what ever ? ) gear change on my 987.2 …..feels hugely a many notches down the gear change ladder .It’s ok ish more so driven swiftly but it will never be in same league as a Ferraris metal shaft linkage .

My 968 CS was the same,  the box ! 

I am happy with the Porsche version of g box linkage , but having tasted how it can be done and I think understanding the engineering limitations of elastic cables and plastic bushes I certainly ain’t gonna throw £ at it .You will never get there .I just adopt my gear change style to suit the car(s) .

Edited by Boxer boy