Screen Wash Capacity

224 Peter

Does anyone know the capacity of the Screen Wash Tank in a 718 Boxster S? I can't find it in the handbook....

I want to make up concentrate to get protection down to -15C and need to know the total volume of a full tank! 

Why to I want -15 protection? Because although the jets are heated the feed pipes are not and take forever to thaw!! Yesterday driving from Salisbury to the McLaren factory the screen washer wasn't working until I got to Fleet Services. 

26 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

Does anyone know the capacity of the Screen Wash Tank in a 718 Boxster S? I can't find it in the handbook....

I want to make up concentrate to get protection down to -15C and need to know the total volume of a full tank! 

Why to I want -15 protection? Because although the jets are heated the feed pipes are not and take forever to thaw!! Yesterday driving from Salisbury to the McLaren factory the screen washer wasn't working until I got to Fleet Services. 

Page 322 of my 718 Driver's Manual states the filling capacity as:

Windscreen/headlight washer fluid Approx 2.5 litres (approx. 5 litres with headlight washer).

So there we go 2.5/5 litres depending on whether you don't have/have headlight washers.

On 1/21/2023 at 5:37 PM, Gutley said:

Does the capacity really matter? Can't you just make up the right concentration in a jug and keep doing jugs until you fill up the tank?

You are right, but as I  have fluid in the tank, so without knowing the total volume I cannot make a suitable dilution. I spent my working life in the chemical industry and have become somewhat obsessive about the accuracy of any dilution....😇

16 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

You are right, but as I  have fluid in the tank, so without knowing the total volume I cannot make a suitable dilution. I spent my working life in the chemical industry and have become somewhat obsessive about the accuracy of any dilution....😇

But how do you know the dilution of the fluid in the tank already 🤔. If its just pure water you could end up with protection down to only 17.5c, come the next ice age you will be screwed 😋

21 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

But how do you know the dilution of the fluid in the tank already 🤔. If its just pure water you could end up with protection down to only 17.5c, come the next ice age you will be screwed 😋

Simple, collect a sample from the tank and measure the density using a brewing hygrometer. Water is 1, compare with a sample with concentrate diluted to give -20 protection and then add water and concentrate to the tank to get the required density. 

Or the "quick and dirty" solution....just assume there is some concentrate in the wash fluid and add concentrate and water so there is "too much" protection!!. 

The washer system froze froze again yesterday.  

1 hour ago, Tony Daniel said:

If its just pure water you could end up with protection down to only 17.5c, come the next ice age you will be screwed 😋

And Tony knows these things, look at his avatar.

Just make sure you don't get an acorn in the tank, it will block the exit to the pipe and lead to all sorts of shenanigans. 

I just tipped the concentrate in neat , it's still cheaper than an accident. That said , now I know the capacity I also know I'm running at least at 50%

Although my sports bottle is still the only working solution in the mornings.