TIPEC

steve7

Hi Steve, I think the TIPEC experience depends very much on where you are and the enthusiasm of the local group. Same could be said of PCGB but to a lesser extent I think. I was in the Chilterns branch of PCGB but let my membership lapse during Buttercup. Had some nice outings with PCGB. No direct experience of TIPEC but some folk here have had fun trips with TIPEC. I too am in Hertfordshire, in the urban utopia of 'emel 👍

• Like 1

You could just freelance.  There a number of BoXa meets that would be in range of Hemel each year, an no fee to join!  I found my local TIPEC in Northants had little interest in a Boxster other that a couple of folk as a meet of about 30 people, it was centred around air cooled models mostly.  At least with BoXa you know they are interested in Boxsters as a starting point.

I did not renew PCGB after the “Clubhouse” debacle and joined TIPEC for less than half the cost.  My local experience is that it’s a lot less corporate, does seem to be run by genuine enthusiasts, and there is a much wider range of vehicles at the meets and events.  A lot less shiny new (911) toys on display!  I won’t be going back - PCGB seems to have just changed it’s Chairman and Board again and still makes a loss with 21k members.

Quite a few I know are members of both. TIPEC have 2 regions nearby and they seem to have more runs out than PCGB although we are working hard to increase the local PCGB events.

For the cost I would join both and pick and chose events along with anything this mob organise👍

• Like 1

I'm a member of Tipec Scotland. Like @Topbox says it depends on the enthusiasm of the region. There's a great team in Scotland organising events for us. Anything from a breakfast run in a fortnight's time up through Perthshire, through weekend drives with a 2 night hotel stay & this year I believe they're organising flights over to visit Porsche for their 75 yr anniversary celebrations. So a mix of things to suit varying budgets.

I've done a weekend & a couple of runs & lunches with them before. Quite a relaxed group. Very mixed range of cars from £5K boxsters up to £130K 911s in the group. 

Worth a punt for £40 for the year to see if it's your thing I reckon. The glossy bi-monthly magazine has some nice articles, although more & more I'm discovering the limits of my own enthusiasm for all things Porsche (I really just like the 2 seat mid-engine platform more than I care for the brand).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cptspaulding said:

although more & more I'm discovering the limits of my own enthusiasm for all things Porsche (I really just like the 2 seat mid-engine platform more than I care for the brand).

+1 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm TIPEC East Mids.

Great bunch of people. Various cars from older 944s & 986/7 to 911 GT3s and 718 GT4RSs etc. Zero snobbery.

We have a monthly coffee meet all year round plus evening pub meets in the summer. OPC breakfast clubs & Christmas meals (paid for). Drives to the coast etc. Free monthly magazine and loads of discounts at OPC, my local indy, zunsport etc etc.

£60 for 2 years. I've had my money's worth in 4 months.

Edited by Chris D

On 3/9/2023 at 7:21 PM, steve7 said:

Thanks for all the feedback, I joined and paid via the website/paypal on the 1st however just sent them a chase email as I haven't received anything re my membership.

Thanks for the insight

Steve

Which region did you sign up to. I can have a dig into the magazine and provide you with a POC if need be. Unless they're listed on the website.

4 hours ago, Chris D said:

Which region did you sign up to. I can have a dig into the magazine and provide you with a POC if need be. Unless they're listed on the website.

Think it’s the north London and Herts group and I’ve joined a few of the Tipec groups on Facebook 👍

5 hours ago, andygo said:

You might imagine if TIPEC/ PCCGB were on the ball, they would be contributing content on here.

Try suggesting that the PCGB Boxster forum isn’t a great resource and see who comes out of the woodwork. 

in my opinion.  Fair amount of take.  Not so much give. But of course your mileage may vary.  

20 hours ago, Paul P said:

Try suggesting that the PCGB Boxster forum isn’t a great resource and see who comes out of the woodwork. 

in my opinion.  Fair amount of take.  Not so much give. But of course your mileage may vary.  

I remember the moral outrage a couple of years back when I suggested it might be time for a Spyder sub forum - instead of a single, unsearchable, 1000+ page thread with 700k views.  Contrast that with the proactive approach here 🙂

I mention this forum whenever I see technical issues raised that don’t get responded to - PCGB forum appears to have little in depth expertise particularly on older cars.

TIPEC forums are little used from what I’ve seen.

• Like 1

Can't help thinking we're here on BoXa.net because we want to be here and put information, humour, experience etc. in. Once a subscription is paid many people seem to be there for what they can get out.

• Like 1

You get out what you put in re the Clubs.

TIPEC and PCGB experiences differ by region, I'm a member of both.

BoXa is my goto forum for knowledge share and it's community. 

Other forums are available...I find 718forum and Rennlist also pretty active/helpful...

Edited by iborguk
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 7:49 PM, iborguk said:

You get out what you put in re the Clubs.

TIPEC and PCGB experiences differ by region, I'm a member of both.

BoXa is my goto forum for knowledge share and it's community. 

Other forums are available...I find 718forum and Rennlist also pretty active/helpful...

You certainly put a lot in here daily.

• Haha 1