986S Hunting at Idle

Rav

I dug the Boxster S out of storage for a couple of days worth of driving to and fro to my London office. The car was great and put a smile on my face, even in the traffic.

I did note that in stationary traffic and at idle, the car hunts around a fair bit. 

I have uploaded a video here: 

New Bosch MAF was fitted last year and Cotswold Porsche checked for air leaks a while back.

Edited by Rav

Thanks EDC and iborgUK.

EDC - any guidance or videos to show me how to clean the throttle body? Is this a good excuse to go 996 throttle body without telling the wife 🙂

IborgUK - do you have the kit to do this? I would be happy to pay for you to scan the car/

6 minutes ago, Rav said:

Thanks EDC and iborgUK.

EDC - any guidance or videos to show me how to clean the throttle body? Is this a good excuse to go 996 throttle body without telling the wife 🙂

IborgUK - do you have the kit to do this? I would be happy to pay for you to scan the car/

Any half decent reader should give you what's required re those codes/values. 

• Like 1

996 throttle body needs extra parts and a bit of trimming and fiddling buttt a good excuse if you are going to take stuff apart anyway. 

You can get the throttle body off without disturbing too much of the rest of the intake. A can of carb cleaner spray and old toothbrush and rag. You can look down the intake to see how oily it is and decide whether to take it apart to clean or not from there. 

• Like 1

Did mine with Wurth brake cleaner.  Also found the big diameter pipework tricky to get back together and aligning the big pipe clips.  Needs a bit of patience.

No ECU faults stored in the system using my OBD2 diagnostics reader. I will attempt to clean the throttle body clean over Easter. Should keep me out of trouble at least.

On 3/31/2023 at 12:07 PM, Rav said:

Thanks EDC and iborgUK.

Hi Rav, I’ve got a code reader if you want to pop over

• Like 1

My good friend @the baronkindly read the codes from my car today. Thank you. 

We got the following code:

P1115: Oxygen sensor heater ahead of catalyst convertor. BANK 1.

Going to ask the OPC to order me one or both sides in depending on price. Anyone know part numbers please?

58 minutes ago, Rav said:

Going to ask the OPC to order me one or both sides in depending on price. Anyone know part numbers please?

986 606 126 01 from Porsche about £300, or 0 258 003 806 Bosch at about £90.  Same part, take you pick how much you pay....  There are also various other aftermarket one that are cheaper than Bosch.

3 hours ago, Rav said:

Get the one from design 911 it’s a Bosch part (same as OEM but much cheaper) mine was around £50 but was last year and also for a 996 so maybe slightly different

• Thanks 1

Suspect you got a 986 606 128 01 Bosch equivalent 0 258 986 505.  They all work eh same way and as long as the plug connects (should do as it goes onto a Porsche exhaust loom) and the lead reaches (may be a bit longer or a fraction shorter but that can be dealt with) it seems worth it to save another £40, or almost buy one get one free even on the Bosch. 👍

OPC Swindon advised : 

98660612601 of which there are 4 on the exhaust. At £309.44 inc vat each. Thus £1236 in total....

• Confused 1

On 3/31/2023 at 9:48 PM, fizz said:

I'm planning to do this when the weather gets better. So is carb cleaner different to brake cleaning spray? 

My carb cleaner smells very different to the brake cleaner.

I’ve read that carb cleaner is safe for rubber, vinyl, and neoprene, brake cleaner not necessarily so.

Both are cheap enough to have on the shelf though.

I failed guys....

I jacked the car up today and went under - i think i found the offending pre-cat O2 sensor, but then didn't have a 22mm spanner to try and remove this. Every other darn size, but a 22mm.

I also noted that my car does not have post cat 02 sensors - is this possible? I cant find these at all on either banks and spent hours looking.

Last thing i noted, the exhaust has a shroud around it on bank 1 which is loose and rattling around. The pre cat sensor goes through this. It looks to have been removed on bank 2. Can i just remove this to avoid the rattling sound? 

Big question though - is it possible that my Boxster does not have post cat 02 sensors?