Map updates on 981

John2000

Just a thought because I have done a few European trips in my 986 I certainly intend to in the 981 but in the 986 I always used Google maps.

Now maps are built in how do you up date them can you buy a CD perhaps @Richard Hamilton might have an idea i remember he had a solution for one of the boxsters perhaps the 987 

Have a look at this thread, John - it's quite long but probably worth reading through quickly. I upgraded mine about a year ago through a third-party seller which is much cheaper than getting an OPC to do it (on page 4 of the thread). I've no idea if the original seller is still active, but hopefully there's a link in there somewhere that you can try. Worth reading through the thread though because a) some of us had slight hiccups in the upgrade process, though I think we all got it to work, but also b) there's something in there that certain versions of the PCM can only be upgraded so far, so worth checking if that applies to you before you go any further.

• Thanks 1

Particularly for European trips I'd prefer to use an online updated solution rather than Porsche stuff which in practice will rarely be newer than 3 years old. Have a look at the various threads for mounting and charging a phone, @Davey P started one (and didn't finish it IIRC) testing various solutions.  I've realised that my phone should really be updated to a 12 at least so I can get the magnetic wireless charging, for this reason. And/or look at those add-ons which convert your PCM to CarPlay/Android Auto, so the online stuff displays on the bigger screen.

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Particularly for European trips I'd prefer to use an online updated solution rather than Porsche stuff which in practice will rarely be newer than 3 years old. Have a look at the various threads for mounting and charging a phone, @Davey P started one (and didn't finish it IIRC) testing various solutions.  I've realised that my phone should really be updated to a 12 at least so I can get the magnetic wireless charging, for this reason. And/or look at those add-ons which convert your PCM to CarPlay/Android Auto, so the online stuff displays on the bigger screen.

Yes I used my phone and google maps in my 986 when driving through Spain and France so I'll probably do that but I like the smaller display you can have in the multi function display on the right better than the full map on the PCM

But I'll read Jon thread have a think

• Like 1

Yes, there's still any number of reasons ro use Google Maps, particularly for more complicated journeys eg European trips - multi-stop routes, traffic-routing (if you don't have the online system for PCM) or especially the ability to prepare routes ahead of time and just load them up from a link. But for me it's still good to have up-to-date maps in the PCM - I don't want to have to use my phone everytime I want satnav (it drives Mrs61 spare - 'you've got satnav in the car and you still stick a phone on the dashboard?!'). I wouldn't pay Porsche prices to update it, but for what the online chap charged I thought it was worth doing.

On European trips I tend to use Google Maps on my phone for the particular routing I want, but I still put the day's ultimate destination in the PCM so that I've always got some idea how far I am away from that night's stop (which I don't think Google Maps shows?) and also will have a route to follow if my phone dies, loses the route for some reason, or falls out of the mount (all of which I've had happen, usually at the most awkward moment).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, daz05 said:

You want carplay in your 981 simple as that, Porsche nav updated or not is not going to cut the mustard.

I must admit it has been an absolute brilliant upgrade to my non sat Nav PCM. I use Waze every time Im in the car just for speed limit alerts etc. it’s so much easier than having a phone in a cradle somewhere IMHO 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

You want carplay in your 981 simple as that, Porsche nav updated or not is not going to cut the mustard.

So, what's the consensus on the best piggy back card for Android auto/Carplay at the moment? I've already read through some of the threads, the Isudar one for example, which didn't inspire confidence. My PCM has nav and DAB already.

27 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

So, what's the consensus on the best piggy back card for Android auto/Carplay at the moment? I've already read through some of the threads, the Isudar one for example, which didn't inspire confidence. My PCM has nav and DAB already.

I'm not up to speed with them all anymore. Mr 12v seems to be everyone's favourite.

42 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

I had the Automotive Apple CarPlay fitted to my PCM 3. I didn’t have SatNav so it was a massive improvement for me. 

I used https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/porsche-pcm31-sat-nav-map-update-usb-europe-2023-846-p.asp

to supply maps too update the original 2013 maps this morning.

Ordered on Saturday, email exchange on Sunday / Monday confirming details  VIN etc, arrived in post yesterday.

Contents are a

DVD for PCM3.1 FW update (I was on v4.40, now on v4.76.)

An engineering menu usb 

An Activation menu USB, and 

A Maps USB.

Took about 2hrs in total. (See time in PCM / SC clock) Done with the car plugged into a  charger with A/c off, lights off etc and key at ACC  ( not started)

• Like 2

great update - If I get to mine this weekend and still can't get the carplay to work - I'll be placing my order too.

p.s. have you noticed you are missing a clock hand ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Patt said:

p.s. have you noticed you are missing a clock hand ?

No I hadn't, and yes it has fallen off! 😱😭

It is lying in the bottom of the case.

Is it is  big job to fix it? If so, it's under warranty anyway 

WARRANTY !!!

Mine has the minute hand sat at the bottom.  IIRC £700 for a new clock + fitting. (£350 on ebay)

I've still not worked out how to remove the clock, but will be having another look when the PCM comes out.  Then it will be off to a friendly watch maker me thinks.

My theory:  the heat from the PCM melts the cheap plastic hands - Porsche know it's an issue, but as usual in the UK they will put up a fight. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Patt said:

WARRANTY !!!

Mine has the minute hand sat at the bottom.  IIRC £700 for a new clock + fitting. (£350 on ebay)

I've still not worked out how to remove the clock, but will be having another look when the PCM comes out.  Then it will be off to a friendly watch maker me thinks.

My theory:  the heat from the PCM melts the cheap plastic hands - Porsche know it's an issue, but as usual in the UK they will put up a fight. 

From 40.36

The step by step instructions are as follows 

981 map update process

Installation Instructions

• Turn on car engine, wait 1-2 minutes unit fully load. 
  • Use DVD marked SW first. 

After software is updated, 

• insert USB with the activation of the engineering menuand wait 1-2 min, then take out USB.

After removing USB, 

• press the "INFO" button for 10 seconds to restart the system
  • Then insert USB with the activation of the map and wait 1-2 min, then take out USB.

After removing USB, 

• press the "INFO" button for 10 seconds to restart the system

Update Maps

• Start your car and leave it running throughout the process. 
  • Insert the USB with maps and follow the instructions on the video
  • Press and hold Source and Sound doe approx 5 sec until “software download menu”
  • Press “Software download”
  • Press “01 Start USB Software update”
  • Press “CONFIRM”
  • Press “YES” when Question about whether to update Nav database
  • Screen Goes to “Loading Update”
  • Then to “Restarting System”
  • Screen goes blank, then Porsche logo, then Baxter S logo
  • Then enters into Sound menu
  • Press “MAP”
  • Press Confirm at disclaimer page
  • Now goes to “Loading Map” Page
  • Changes to Update of Nav Database page - Disk 0 of o, Disk 1 of 5 etc

Timings 

DVD update started 0754

DVD update finished 0819 

Update successful 

Activation engineering menu usb inserted 0820

USB Removed 0823

Restarted 0824

Activation usb inserted 0825

USB Removed 0827

MAP USB

Map update started 0830

Map update finished at 0916

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

I just checked the fw on my3.1 pcm and I'm a little gutted my car is registered in early 2013 but the FW is 3.41 do I'll have the issue of

Please note: This update works perfectly with software version 4.XX. If you have software version 2.XX or 3.XX installed, there will be a problem with zooming in more than 1.5 miles

So don't think I'll bother I'll do the same as Jon and when driving in Europe I'll put my final destination in the cars sat nav and use my phone with Google at least I'll get lastest traffic and speed limits and speed cameras on.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, moonshine said:

I used https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/porsche-pcm31-sat-nav-map-update-usb-europe-2023-846-p.asp

to supply maps too update the original 2013 maps this morning.

Ordered on Saturday, email exchange on Sunday / Monday confirming details  VIN etc, arrived in post yesterday.

Contents are a

DVD for PCM3.1 FW update (I was on v4.40, now on v4.76.)

An engineering menu usb 

An Activation menu USB, and 

A Maps USB.

Took about 2hrs in total. (See time in PCM / SC clock) Done with the car plugged into a  charger with A/c off, lights off etc and key at ACC  ( not started)

52815858852_f301947d03_b.jpg52815844702_876b049fe2_b.jpg52816854458_9b7da1aac4_b.jpg52816813225_382ff9cb3b_b.jpg52816426711_85c73b5fd2_b.jpg52816854448_248923234b_b.jpg52816854423_9f6d1cce06_b.jpgi see it's for 2013 onwards boxster. My wife's 981 is late 2012. Do you know If this still applies and how can you tell the pcm version number please? TIA

i see it's for 2013 onwards boxster. My wife's 981 is late 2012. Do you know If this still applies and how can you tell the pcm version number please? TIA

@wmcg I think you press Source and Info together to find the firmware version. I'd suggest having a quick look through the thread I linked to in the 2nd post above; there's some useful info in there.

• Thanks 1

But as John found out above, there are MY2013 cars with PCM firmware version 3, which causes the 'zoom' issue referred to in the other thread. So best not to go just by the MY but check the firmware version.

Edited by Jon61
  • Thanks 2