Map updates on 981

John2000

11 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

I'm awaiting delivery of a Brodit O/S transmission tunnel clip,

I have one in my 987.1, TBH I'm quite disappointed with it. But having looked at alternatives, so far I consider it the "least worst" option.

I've just taken delivery of a newer iphone with the magnetic charging, and hope to get a new, better mount accordingly.

Just now, Menoporsche said:

I have one in my 987.1, TBH I'm quite disappointed with it. But having looked at alternatives, so far I consider it the "least worst" option.

I've just taken delivery of a newer iphone with the magnetic charging, and hope to get a new, better mount accordingly.

I agree with your 'least worst' comment.  It's just that there's nowhere to put any mount in this car so, I'm prepared to experiment for £16.99.

I'm only going to use the Brodit clip to mount the whole (whatever I end up with) caboodle to the car. I've got extended leather, so a stick on base on the dash isn't an option as the leather lifts slightly with any weight on it, making the phone wobble around.

I also have a case with a thin clear plastic back on my Pixel, so I'll have to play around with any QI charger to get that to work at all. 🙄

4 minutes ago, dclong said:

I have a T Design Universal phone mount which can be located centrally, works very well for me 

https://t-design9.com/phone_mount_porsche_universal.html

Is it a charging mount, or a passive one?

I see from one of their pictures they've used a location I was considering, top right of the screen, the top edge of the batwing of the passenger footwell.

7 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

I agree with your 'least worst' comment.  It's just that there's nowhere to put any mount in this car so, I'm prepared to experiment for £16.99.

I'm only going to use the Brodit clip to mount the whole (whatever I end up with) caboodle to the car. I've got extended leather, so a stick on base on the dash isn't an option as the leather lifts slightly with any weight on it, making the phone wobble around.

I also have a case with a thin clear plastic back on my Pixel, so I'll have to play around with any QI charger to get that to work at all. 🙄

Mine is brodit base plus some 3rd party bits and a wireless charger 

Cc1SWtt.jpeg

8vHfGvn.jpeg

HpreVEY.jpeg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Is it a charging mount, or a passive one?

I see from one of their pictures they've used a location I was considering, top right of the screen, the top edge of the batwing of the passenger footwell.

It’s a passive mount 

IMO, the T-design Magnum is much more elegant 

It just pushes in / pulls out as required with no mechanical fixing. Just relies on friction between mount, tunnel padding and pcm frame, with power, when needed from the glovebox usb  via a  black coiled power lead with side exit 

"Naked"

No power 

And with power connected

I've a wireless charging case on my iPhone 12  Pro, and you get 3 sticky steel pads to allow the magnet to hold.

If you fix it here it does not interfere with the wireless charging of the iPhone. I found it is any higher, the wireless charging is affected 

9 minutes ago, Steed said:

Is one of the issues around using Google Maps via a phone on the continent, going to be the reintroduction of Roaming Data charges since Brexit?

That's just another reason to make sure that before you go, you download to your phone offline maps for the regions you're going to need, as was suggested above. (It's also a good reason as it lets you continue to navigate even if you lose the data signal.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steed said:

Is one of the issues around using Google Maps via a phone on the continent, going to be the reintroduction of Roaming Data charges since Brexit?

Aren't I lucky, I never upgraded my original '3' SIM only contract, which still allows 12GB of 'feel at home' roaming, (though, to be fair, I only have an 8GB contract). 

The last time we were in France I bought a local 50GB PAYG SIM and put it in a 4G MiFi, then used that for data on my phone via WiFi.

Edit: 20 euros IIRC

Edited by cozzykim
Addition

• 1 month later...

Getting back on topic I looked at this site today and it seems they offer software to update a pcm 3.1 with version 3 firmware to version 4 firmware  you can get tha download to burn to disc for £10 or they will send you a disc for £39 has anyone tried this option.

https://www.pcmupdate.com/

Edited by John2000