Map updates on 981

John2000

to check your PCM3.1  firmware 

Press SOURCE and INFO at the same time

This screen pops up

My car was built 14th Dec 2012, so was a MY13 Build, first registered in UK in March 2013 and came with PCM FW v4.40 from the factory 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jon61 said:

But as John found out above, there are MY2013 cars with PCM firmware version 3, which causes the 'zoom' issue referred to in the other thread. So best not to go just by the MY but check the firmware version.

I only know my car is a 62 reg registered in early 2013 so called a 2013 buti dint know the MY year but yes Jon it is a 3xxx pcm I looked at the history and it had been updated but only to the latest version of 3.

On 4/16/2023 at 1:59 PM, cozzykim said:

Mine has 4.5x (2013 /14MY)

Is it worth the firmware update to 4.76 for any good reason?

I can't remember if there's been any discussion on here about what's actually in the firmware update - if there was, it wasn't notable enough for me to recall it (and I certainly haven't noticed any difference, though mine only went from 4.75 to 4.76 anyway)! So if you're not interested in the updated maps, I don't think you'd bother doing the upgrade just to get the newer firmware.

I had the zoom issue on my PCM 3.0 unit (987.2 car) with the 2022 maps. I turned off auto zoom and kept the zoom below 1.5km/miles and it actually was still pretty usable. Navigation prompts in the 3rd dial also worked without issue and to be frank they were my visual aid when driving rather than the PCM display. YMMV.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

I think my Bluetooth AUX connects a bit faster with 4.76 (was on 4.52).

I downloaded it from here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/873945-pcm-software-version-update-7.html#post16646010

And then just burnt it to a blank DVD. Took 25 minutes or so (The DVD ejects at some point and you need to put it back in again).

Edited by mypropaganda

11 hours ago, mypropaganda said:

I think my Bluetooth AUX connects a bit faster with 4.76 (was on 4.52).

I downloaded it from here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/873945-pcm-software-version-update-7.html#post16646010

And then just burnt it to a blank DVD. Took 25 minutes or so (The DVD ejects at some point and you need to put it back in again).

Wooohooo! Thanks.

Downloaded.

Now, where did I put that old Linux powered, DVD drive Thinkpad.

My PCM3.1 doesn't automatically connect to my phone again when the ignition has been off. I'm on version 4.5x, so hopefully the latest 4.76 will fix that issue. 

It's an interesting thread, in that it also looks like you can generate a new HDD>SSD cloned drive from that firmware iso if your HDD fails. 

Okay: updated my 4.5x version to 4.76 with no issues apart from at my end with a couple of DVD+r discs that refused to burn.

I used a Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5GB disc and that worked perfectly, didn't need to re-insert the disc at all.

The 'bad' news is that my Pixel 6 Pro still doesn't automatically connect to the car, I have to select the PCM from a list of known devices, even after it's successfully paired.

Is this just UK maps or Europe too ?

Gonna have to find a blank DVD discs and dust off my external disc drive.

Or would you mind posting to me and I can paypal some beer tokens? 

29 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

Okay: updated my 4.5x version to 4.76 with no issues apart from at my end with a couple of DVD+r discs that refused to burn.

I used a Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5GB disc and that worked perfectly, didn't need to re-insert the disc at all.

The 'bad' news is that my Pixel 6 Pro still doesn't automatically connect to the car, I have to select the PCM from a list of known devices, even after it's successfully paired.

Been a long time since I had an android phone but I seem to remember a setting for "trusted devices" - if that wasn't set you would have to manually connect each time.......

2 hours ago, Patt said:

This isn't map updates, just a firmware update. Map updates are tied to VIN or need coding I think.

Have been out in that car today and it's deffo faster to connect to bluetooth aux (iPhone here)

5 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Yes, map updates need an activation code.

At an OPC this would be done with a PIWIS, other methods appear to be out there...

Yeah, mine did - the guy needed to know the VIN and then he created the necessary files for me to download.  Mine was USB stick, no DVDs.  I didn't trust the time / physical element of the DVD method.  Plus it was cheaper and I'm nothing if not a cheapskate 😂

3 minutes ago, John2000 said:

I might  do the same as @moonshine and turn iff the zoom like @iborguk if I decide to go that way because I like the directions in the small screen on the right better that the full screen hope they dont run out if I do make my mind up

I was an early adopter of the 2022 maps and only found out about the issue after the update but had I known about it I would still have done it as the updated maps were of more value to me and I wanted to keep the original PCM. Again YMMV...

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Patt said:

Just the PCM firmware, not maps. It's not really worth beer tokens to be honest, easy enough to do yourself.

I do suspect that the full 4.3GB update may also be capable of rebuilding a new HDD, but probably best to not rely on that suspicion.

5 hours ago, Paul P said:

Been a long time since I had an android phone but I seem to remember a setting for "trusted devices" - if that wasn't set you would have to manually connect each time.......

There's no setting for trusted devices that I can find on my Pixel 6 Pro. There's some talk on the web that reconnection issues might be to do with the January security update on Pixel devices though.

I think the speed limit display in the cluster gets it basic speed limit information from the base maps - that is one of the main issues why i wanted to update the maps - to have the updated database - even though i have now got Apple CarPlay installed and generally use TomTom maps on Carplay for Nav.

also around Glasgow, the M74 extension around the S of Glasgow was not on the 2013 maps -but is on the 2022/23 maps - that’s pretty significant in W Scotland.

The routing directions were not working on my new maps for a while after the update - but after going for a drive to meet someone in Stirling (about an hour) , i tried the nav on the way home and the routing started to work - and is OK now - so maybe it took a while to index the database too?

7 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Whilst I don’t rely on the PCM for Nav as again I use CarPlay it’s nice to have its maps up to date in case mobile cell coverage is poor/fails. Rare these days I grant you but it’s nice to have the fallback.

Not so rare out of the city's in Spain and France 

Edited by John2000
  • Like 2