PDSL Headlights Driving on the Continent

JTBoxster

Hi all,

Does anyone know if you have to adjust PDSL headlights in any way in order for them to be legal for use in Europe (ie when driving on the right) ? Of course "normal" headlights need the plastic stick on beam adjusters and LED's don't seem to need anything from what I can tell - but PDSL's ???

LEDs have a flat beam pattern that does not require correction.  Check your driver's Manual it should give the info you need.  If like the 986 Xenon lights you have to pop them out and move a lever for right hand running.

2 minutes ago, JTBoxster said:

Many thanks - I have never to date accessed the OBC so sounds like I need to find out how...

Have a look in the users manual too. I'm not sure if you change the lights from the OBC or it's a head light out job. (Very easy)You may be able to change speedometer to Kph in OBC too. I should remember more having owned a 987.2 🙄

As others have said.  Headlights out. Back cover off little silver lever you need to flick with a screwdriver you won’t be able to reach it with your fingers.  

it just masks the flick up on dip to the left hand side.  So you can do it the day before you go. Not a job to attempt in a car park at a ferry/ train terminal.  

really good write up on PCGB forum 

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=927125

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

Have a look in the users manual too. I'm not sure if you change the lights from the OBC or it's a head light out job. (Very easy)You may be able to change speedometer to Kph in OBC too. I should remember more having owned a 987.2 🙄

Yup you can change the digital Speedo to kph that also changes the remaining range to km.  I think it might be an on dash knob “twiddle” rather than OBC but handbook covers it.  

• Like 1

Thanks all - must say removing the headlights sounds a bit daunting - how is that done ? Perhaps as we are going in the middle of June when should not really need the lights at all I should just wing it and leave them as is ! 

15 minutes ago, JTBoxster said:

Thanks all - must say removing the headlights sounds a bit daunting - how is that done ? Perhaps as we are going in the middle of June when should not really need the lights at all I should just wing it and leave them as is ! 

Honestly not as scary as it sounds. Just double check the end of the removal tool before using it , they have a habit of shearing as they are made of Camembert.

Ask me how I know.

Edited by iborguk
I can't spell

16 minutes ago, JTBoxster said:

It takes less than 15 mins to do it.  The manual tells you how to remove them and the tool is in the toolkit. The manuals illustrations are for non xenon /pdls headlights so the pcgb howto is much better but once you have it in front of you it’s obvious.  

as meno says.  Have a practice. The only thing about removing the headlights is the make a loud clunck as they release.  You haven’t broken anything.  

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Was it that one where people say just use a 5mm socket instead?

Yes, that’s what I do as the OEM tool slips on one of my headlights. 5mm socket, thin extension bar and I use a T bar handle so I can follow the positions in the instructions.

It is scary the first time, particularly putting the headlight back in and trusting that it won’t fall out!

Edited by BBB
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, BBB said:

Yes, that’s what I do as the OEM tool slips on one of my headlights. 5mm socket, thin extension bar and I use a T bar handle so I can follow the positions in the instructions.

It is scary the first time, particularly putting the headlight back in and trusting that it won’t fall out!

Agree.

They also make a heart sickening clunk when you fix them back in position as well as when you pop them out. 

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

Agree.

They also make a heart sickening clunk when you fix them back in position as well as when you pop them out. 

53 minutes ago, JTBoxster said:

Yikes ! 

But at least you are now prepared for it!

5mm socket on an extension, or a 5mm nut driver if you have one.